Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Snipers Just Pussy's?

Options
  • 16-01-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, are snipers just pussy's?

In real life (or from what I've gleaned off of movies, which is the same thing), snipers are highly trained and pretty cool. But in the gaming world, the sniper is just a joke. I'm refering to those in online games who run off in one direction for 20 minutes and then hide ontop of a mountain shooting at the opposing team.

I've been a member of a few online teams, and there are countless people who always choose to be a sniper and for some reason assume they are "cool" as a result. I mainly got these in Black Hawk Down because there apparently was more realistic sniper action, but what fun is it?

I mean, when I played, I would show my awsome skill by sneaking up behind people, dropping a mine, backing off and then making a noise so that they'd jump around and blow up. Lol's were had by all. There's a lot more skill and luck involved in doing that, than in taking pot shots at people from the other side of the map.

Now, granted, there are some who play as snipers and are actually pretty damn good. My brother, for example, was annoyingly good and would snipe while running. That's a kind of talent, so you kind of have to forgive the gifted, if only because they can kill me so easily.

Ok, this may be a generally aimless rant (as is the style on Boards), but the long of the short of it is, snipers aren't cool!

Are Snipers Just Pussy's 139 votes

Yes, snipers are just ****.
    0% 0 votes
    No, snipers are THE ****.
    40% 56 votes
    Why did I just read THIS ****?
    43% 61 votes
    I've no sniper games for my Atari Jaguar :(
    15% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I was a sniper when I played Gears of War online on the 360 and the only reason for me doing so was because I was pretty good with it. But if worst came to worst, I was pretty handy with the Torque Bow and Shotgun.

I tried to snipe in COD4 and I couldn't do it, it's too bloody hard. :o

I generally like sniping but it depends on the game, mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I find if you're not any good at a game, and keep getting killed as a regular soldier or whatever, you can get some points by hiding and sniping the odd noob. It's pretty boring though.
    It really annoys me when these same people go on to get pretty good, and end up sniping constantly, and that means you have to sneak around the map, regardless of your character type, because you might end up getting your head blown off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Depends on the game really; a good sniper can be extremely valuable to a team.

Spys are just pussys tbqfh. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Used to like sniping in COD2, do it from time to time in TF2 but just fùcking hate the awp in CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sniping can be fun, but not as much as diving into an enemy squad all pistols 'n knives, bar brawling your way to victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I like playing as sniper in DoD Source because I'm pretty good with it but hate it in TF2 because it's boring tbh. But you are right that a good sniper in games is rare. They're usually just n00bs who think it's uber cool to be a sniper or else they're **** at the game and are afraid to move up the field. I both of these feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I bounce around from sniping to full on machine gun action in COD4 online. Sniping does get frustrating but you can't beat the satisfaction of popping someones head from a great distance. I only ever snipe on Team Hardcore maps though because shooting someone centre mass with a snipe and them not going down in normal deathmatches is soul destroying. I'd say I'm sniper 30%-40% of the time these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're GHEY! That is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As someone who plays computer games and also shoots rifles a few things about the sniping in games annoys me

1. The over simplicity of it, generally in most multiplayer games there is no wind to account for or bullet drop at all (there are a host of other things to take into account but these are the two most basic). This would make sniping in games for real men only as it is extremely extremely difficult in reality

2.Under powered rifles, as an example I'll point to the .50bmg round used in the Barret .50cal rifle as seen in Call of Duty 4. This is primarily an anti material round and not an anti personal round. If it hit a person at say 800-900 yards away it would make absolute sh1te of them. Yet in call of duty a direct hit does not always equal a kill, this is lunacy

I still snipe on some levels as a sniper can be effective on them but if sniping was brought closer to reality then only the elite could even fathom playing as that class. Hitting a moving target with a scoped rifle at distance is beyond difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I pine for a Jihadist suicide bomber/Peter Petrelli nuke class in battlefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SyxPak wrote: »
    Now THAT would be a great class to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

SyxPak wrote: »

There are a few goals in CoD4 actually where you have to kill yourself and a member of the opposing team with a hand grenade and I spent a while running after people with live grenades in my hand until they went off.

Also in battlefield 2 the Baghdad Taxi was a favourite of mine, putting C4 on a buggy type vehicle and driving into a group of enemy and trying to blow it up before being killed myself.

Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

humanji wrote: »
    I've been a member of a few online teams, and there are countless people who always choose to be a sniper and for some reason assume they are "cool" as a result. I mainly got these in Black Hawk Down because there apparently was more realistic sniper action, but what fun is it?

dude thats me! I play BHD the odd time but I was working away for december so I played it a lot. Most of the times the maps have sniper disable but there are some that are sniper only which are good but can get very boring if there isnt a full game on.

But usually I'd just get the m60/m240/saw and run around like a headless chicken shooting everything! Its much more fun IMO!

Edit: Sorry I should add.. One day in december i was playing a game on sniper BHD but i am default gunner with a m240. so I kept trying to go to the armory to get a sniper rifle but some cnut had it covered and kept shooting me as I got to the door! Very very irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I agree with vegeta that the sniping tends to be too easy in most games. People will always gripe when people exploit inbalanced game mechanics, and people will always exploit them.

That said, a ballistic model which accuratley described wind, air pressure, bullet drop etc accurately would propably make the class useless in competitive multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think it depends - I have seen some in dods who take a shot and move - over and over changing position and covering areas that need to be covered and supporting the team. There are others who find a dark corner and wait the entire round while keeping anyone else from playing the class. You could have guys capturing a spot needing cover or help and mr sniper sits on his ass with one finger on the left mouse button waiting for somone to randomly come into view in a non important area of the map.

Some snipers are bastard hard and very skilled but some others have no skill or teamplay in them whatsoever - they are just too afraid of being shot and so hide at at distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate the bastards. Real men use melee weapons!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Spawn & Camping Snipers :mad: if your a good sniper you move around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I alwats loved sniping, COD4 has some really nice sniping levels.
    Also: im...LOST, the sniping was fixed in the 1.4 patch IIRC, it's much better now (and by that I mean possible).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

One of my most hated aspects of Counter Strike is the sniping. Picking up kills with an AWP or an Auto-sniper was rediculously easy. We always banned them in our matches. But i didnt mind the snipers in Battlefield 2, as they werent as effective (iirc). And i still havent played COD4 online, so i cant say anything on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

When I was active in my clan, we never challanged a team that said no snipers, we thought the would have to be noobs.

The Auto-sniper is always a no go aera, but the AWP is so damn expencive you need 4 wins in a row before you can get it, (unless you Eco the MP5 round).

Now you can't tell me that long A on de_dust2 wasn't designed for snipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

It's always satisfying to sneak up on a sniper and kill them, especially if they're so sure of their position. On the other side of things, it's great when your a sniper and you see a nice juicy slow sniper target working hard to get to their favoured sniper spot. You just wait a little longer until they're nearly there, just another foot on that ladder to the top of the crane.... BAM! Doing it two or three times in a row is quite nice and I realise I only ever play as a sniper if I'm going anti-sniper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Snipers? Are they the oblivious cowards that are always lying down when I stab them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved nailing alien scum in MDK back in the day, smug gits, dancing about, HA! I showed them!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I love sniping - always have. Particularly sniping with the railgun in ET:QW at the moment.

I remember once, many years ago, under the pseudonym of Campmaster, camping in front of a spawn point on Q2DM3 and just killing people as they spawned. Must have had 60+ kills that game. That kind of sheer mischief is fun once in a while and anyone who says otherwise is a cad and a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maximilian wrote: »
    I love sniping - always have. Particularly sniping with the railgun in ET:QW at the moment.

I remember once, many years ago, under the pseudonym of Campmaster, camping in front of a spawn point on Q2DM3 and just killing people as they spawned. Must have had 60+ kills that game. That kind of sheer mischief is fun once in a while and anyone who says otherwise is a cad and a liar.
    Strange, most people are kicked for spawn raping. And why not just start a game playing against bots? You get to spawn rape, and others get to actually enjoy their game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Stephen wrote: »
    I hate the bastards. Real men use melee weapons!
    Just play Pirates, Vikings and Knights. No snipers and melee weapons ahoy!

I'll see you in Valhalla!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

A good sniper can make all the differrence in clan matches .I would like to add that I am a superior sniper ......I would like to add that , but I can't , I am pretty good sniper fodder though and mp5 fodder and m16 fodder and pistol fodder and knife fodder ....... I might be good at hand to hand , don't really know , never tried it .

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

humanji wrote: »
    Strange, most people are kicked for spawn raping. And why not just start a game playing against bots? You get to spawn rape, and others get to actually enjoy their game?

Well, I had the rcon for starters. It was a once off thing about 10 years ago against mainly people I knew (although they didn't know who I was). Actually I think a lot of them enjoyed it (partially), as the game turned into hunt the camper. I had a demo of it alas, long since lost. I don't know why I even brought it up. I apparently am not advancing the cause of snipers on iota.

In any event stabbing people in the face with knives is for pussies IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Well I look upon snipers as a team tool. They excell at keeping the enemies heads down or off for that matter.

Yeah they're a pain when you're the target but in the same way that sitting with a deployable machinegun is a pain they serve a point.

My fave class is the sniper in DoD and whilst I've gotten out of touch I was getting more than decent with it and there is also skill involved not only in the kills but defending your spot cos snipers never get decent melee weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Surely if a noob sniper hiding off in a dark corner is bugging you, you can just go sniper yourself and kill him? Then go back to whatever you were doing while he takes five minutes to go back there, then snipe him again. He'll soon get fed up.

Advertisement