Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Snipers Just Pussy's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well as part of a team, a sniper is useful. In a deathmatch style game, they're a bit annoying and missing out on the real fun. My main gripe is with people who assume that being a sniper is cool. In a computer game, it takes a hell of a lot less skill to shoot someone from across a map than it does to sneak up on someone and stab them in the ass.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    Well, I had the rcon for starters. It was a once off thing about 10 years ago against mainly people I knew (although they didn't know who I was). Actually I think a lot of them enjoyed it (partially), as the game turned into hunt the camper. I had a demo of it alas, long since lost. I don't know why I even brought it up. I apparently am not advancing the cause of snipers on iota.

In any event stabbing people in the face with knives is for pussies IMHO.

Oh, them's fighting words. I'll see you outside. You bring your sniper rifle and I'll bring my knife. Then we'll see who's better....eh...wait a sec...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

MOH wrote: »
    Surely if a noob sniper hiding off in a dark corner is bugging you, you can just go sniper yourself and kill him? Then go back to whatever you were doing while he takes five minutes to go back there, then snipe him again. He'll soon get fed up.

Not if you were CampMaster™ one fine day in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

have to agree with the sniping in cod4 is ****ed up big time tis worse in CS:S damn god awp granted I do not play it much cause P.C is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Back in the CoD days i was a sniper for my clan. It was fun to play as some of the maps were huge and gave you plenty of spots to move between. I mean against our rivals it quite often came down to our snipers vs theres. If we took theirs out they would have to get really inventive with their attacks and same vice versa. Ah it was so much fun back then.

Tried sniping in cod2 and cod4 and it turned more into a camp the spot :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Its pretty funny in Cod4 when you look at the single player mission where you take his arm off with 1 bullet from really far away yet on the multi player a close range hit might not kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Stephen wrote: »
    Real men use melee weapons!
    Nah, fists only... whilst donning a full-length gown covered in sequins. The idea being to blind the opponent with luxury!!
    Spawn & Camping Snipers :mad:
    Maximilian wrote: »
    I remember once, many years ago, under the pseudonym of Campmaster, camping in front of a spawn point on Q2DM3 and just killing people as they spawned. Must have had 60+ kills that game. That kind of sheer mischief is fun once in a while and anyone who says otherwise is a cad and a liar.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/03/21 :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

humanji wrote: »
    Oh, them's fighting words. I'll see you outside. You bring your sniper rifle and I'll bring my knife. Then we'll see who's better....eh...wait a sec...

No you won't ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

oh man I used to be excellent at sniping in the original UT, especially the CTF level "facing worlds". There is an excellent camp spot just off the side of the top of the tower that is in darkness. You can sit there all day and nobody will notice you. It also had a perfect vantage point of both spawn points for the opposition.

I remember playing the game in college where we pretty much had the whole computer room in the lan game and I was up to like 500 kills. I usually named myself "Your Daddy" and all you'd hear was people shouting out "Who's Your Daddy???" "I'm going to f*in kill him if he doesn't stop spawn camping. what a n00b!!!" :D

I had to bite my lip from breaking my sh!t laughing. Although my streaks where usually ended by someone sending a redeemer right up my ass :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Sniping can be good when you want to feel powerful.... when you want to feel 'hidden and dangerous' :p

I'm not really a great sniper, but I do it when I need a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

cowards tbh. In deathmatch mode, camping is a cheap way to win. Defeats the point of the playing the game imo. This discussion reminds me for some reason of foot sweeping in the earlier mortal kombat games :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went to play paintball in Wicklow a couple of years back, I was not terribly good, firing so many shots that my gas canister on the air rifle ran out, so I bought another one and jumped back in the fray.
    Whilst creeping around in the brambles I spotted an enemy, far to far for my rifle to hit, but I lined him up and fired anyway.

I nailed him on the back of the neck, I just hear the crack of the paintball hitting and his swearing as he looked around for his assailant. The new gas canister had propelled the shot twice as far as normal,

Sweet!

I love sniping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Spear wrote: »
    This is far more appropriate to the discussion surely

http://www.blastwavecomic.com/index.php?p=comic&nro=40

Add it to the poll. ;)

... and don't call me "Shirley".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Snipers can be bloody annoying, but unless they're really being pathetic and spawncamping, I can live with them. They're not nearly as annoying as grenade launchers. Especially when, as soon as the map loads, some bastard immediately fires a grenade right across the map and into the entire team. To rip off Zero Punctuation, t's like a sniper class that solves the point-and-click-adventure puzzle "use gun on man" for you. You lazy gits.

COD 4 makes sniping acceptable, if only because there are so many other annoying things to do, like Martyr or kitting out an M60 so it can shoot through tanks and still have enough punch left to kill you if so much as a single bullet grazes your shoulder. (Experience may change during wussy-dress-wearing-tree-hugging-non-hardcore mode)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wub sniping.

No Martyr killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thought this picture was pretty good:

snipers_3.jpg

In regard to snipers, for death matchs they are pointless, but for team based games, especially ones where you have to protect a base, bomb site, hostages or flag then Snipers are needed. Think about the real world, archers where used to pick off as many people before they got into range of the ground based grunts, in modern warfare the same is true of snipers and it also crosses over to games. Snipers should be there to protect something, this is the only time I agree with them being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Unfortunately in most games, just like in TF2 above, snipers usually end up in a cycle of useless sniper wars where they spend the whole map taking potshots at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Useless perhaps but a helluva lotta fun all the same. Playing sniper in TFC on some crappy Jolt/RV server is an amazing way to waste time and make yourself feel big at the same time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Don't play snipers that often, but it can be fun.

I will admit to having an unhealthy obsession with killing snipers with the shock paddles in bf2 though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Spawn or spot camping snipers really get on my wick,years ago i came to the conclusion that my 64k isdn from Eircom (those were the days) cost me approx 1p per minute so sniping was literally a waste of cash , CS sniping must only be done with the scout as the 1 shot kill of the awp takes away a lot of the skill imo.
    COD4 sniping on most maps is a waste of time as the auto rifles are so accurate at long distances.
    DOD sniping was awesome as you could still be top of flags captured etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 azi

The real fun is sniping with mortars or artillery :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sniping has its pros and cons:

Pros:

BOOOOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
    Its Gratifying
    Stealth aspect is fun
    pew pew!

Cons:

Can be boring depending on opponents / game
    People think sniping is lame when its clearly awesome
    Requires aim

In TF2 for example, its fun sometimes, but not nearly as fun as running rings around people with the scout and owning them with the scatter gun :)

P.s the AWP is lame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Snipers are bastards, they are the modern equivelent of wizards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there are two types of sniper imo,

one who can snipe and actually play/read the game well. (very few around)
    and
    one who just spawn camps and gets the lucky shots or the other newbies.

just look at a cs:source server for examples of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Ah yes, sniping. I look on this with fond memories of many players coming into my view and......BOOM!......and then reload after after i clearly got them in the chest or head.
    Realism needs to be tuned to more realistic ie bf2
    Had many good games were i just picked off other snipers who got me
    wake island is sniping paradise.
    And the whole "you cant see me/i see you" scenario is cool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

play quake or ut ya nabs! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Jazzy wrote: »
    play quake or ut ya nabs! :p

Actually UT3 sniping is quite easy, if you have a good ping.

HEADSHOT!
    HEADSHOT!
    DOUBLE KILL!
    HEADSHOT!
    MULTI KILL!
    HEADSHOT!
    MEGAKILL!
    And so on...

EDIT: If you see a CSS server with 'No AWP/Auto' in the name, do you play?
    No, because it's usually a newbie server, and therefore crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Snipers are peoplae too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Just not very good people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What game is most accurate for real life sniperizing?

Advertisement