Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Snipers Just Pussy's?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cianos wrote: »
    What game is most accurate for real life sniperizing?

Flashpoint/Armed Assault for one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Actually UT3 sniping is quite easy, if you have a good ping.

pffft.
    sum1s been playing against nabs then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lets see, I started off with a awp in CSS, using it to cover points of attack. I moved from the awp to m4/ak and used the awp/scout to antisnipe when needed. I like snipers, but only when they were used right. What I used to hate was the moaners complaining about how the awp was a noob cannon etc.. If its such a noob cannon and your so good, why don't you just buy one and take him out? Oh, I remember. You can't because your ****.

What I do like is sniping in COD4, at the moment I'm running around with the Barret 50cal using it like a pistol. I can honestly say there are hundreds of people out there screaming because some nutbar ran in and killed 5+ people unscoped close range with the sniper class.

Screw the knife, 50cal to the back of the head. Thats where the pain is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

krazy_8s wrote: »
    What I used to hate was the moaners complaining about how the awp was a noob cannon etc.. If its such a noob cannon and your so good, why don't you just buy one and take him out? Oh, I remember. You can't because your ****.

I don't play cs anymore but I never liked the awp but wouldn't complain about it in game. But maybe the reason people don't just buy one and take him out is because usually the other guy will keep it up no matter what AND playing with the AWP is boring as hell and I think it ruins the dynamic of the game. The worst are the people who sit at the start of dust2 and get people going by the double doors. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

I'll agree that they're pretty annoying in CS, but some maps in COD4 are great for proper sniping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm just wearily rambling here...

I'm guessing that for many who have tried the sniper role and have since moved on to other classes have done so because, while it may be effective way of racking up the kills, they find sniping tedious and/or they're not able to live with themselves, knowing that all their kills were made from such a great distance the target never had a fighting chance. So they change role and choose to enter the fray to 'earn' their kills in a fair fight.
    the whole "you cant see me/i see you" scenario is cool

It's then frustrating to go up against someone who's willing to play the game in this detached (from the "action") manner. Annoying snipers can totally change the game for everyone else - slowing the pace and changing the match from a frag fest to an 'avoid exposing any flesh' stealth-em-up.

.... Yes, I am quite tired. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

snipers are very invaluable to a good team, although you do get gob****e snipers every so often who just camp the whole time when theyre not sposed to, you do get ppl who snipe very well. for example, in defensive situations, sniper rifle is is SMART option in alot of scenarios.

I snipe alot in cod4 n bf2, but i move around continuously and i will also change weaponry when necessary to adapt to the map.

im a nice sniper ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I have to say I hate snipers, I was playing COD 4 the other night with a couple of friends. The other team was made up 10 guys from the same clan and 1 randomer, as soon as the match started they all legged it up to the bushes at the very edge of the map and proceeded to take potshots at the rest of us from the safety of their hidey hole. I mean how gay can you get?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

50 cal is good in COD4. I was using it last night in Search and Destroy matches and it was very useful tbh. I'd never use it in Team Deathmatch though, prefer my M4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Red Orchestra by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

How about JFK: Reloaded? Kind of a sick game though...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Loved nailing alien scum in MDK back in the day, smug gits, dancing about, HA! I showed them!

i completly forgot about that game. my uncle had it when i was about 10. so many great memories. just watched some vids of it on youtube and all the sounds and levels came flooding back.

i owe remembering my childhood to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

krazy_8s wrote: »
    What I do like is sniping in COD4, at the moment I'm running around with the Barret 50cal using it like a pistol. I can honestly say there are hundreds of people out there screaming because some nutbar ran in and killed 5+ people unscoped close range with the sniper class.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

although this isn't really a game specific discussion, UT and quake all the way.

my favourite part of UT was always playing facing worlds and using the i had gained from a few weeks 'noob sniping' (staying the same position and sniping) to snipe enemy on my way toward their base. There's few things more gratifying than fighting someone with the same weapon as you, same distance (obviously...) but they are stationary and concealed and therefore have an easier time of aiming, and still beating their ass. I used to stay at the top of the tower and snipe people on their way to the base but as I improved, it was a lot more fun to bring the fight to the enemy and I sniped only when it was my last weapon and I would use it at any range.

Snipers in the general sense of the word may or may not be pussys, but campers are just lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gerthewanker

the great thing about UT was that you had a cross hair for the sniper rifle meaning you could run about scoring headshots.I hink for games like BF2 etc.. it would be better if, in order to snipe acurrately you had to go prone and it took a few seconds to set up the rifle stand meaning you would have to be sure that your position was safe enough and that you were gonna get your target .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Them kids don't have any patience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I love sniping in UT3, especially in Suspense. Cause when you get good at it, you can pretty much make sure the other team won't get near your flag. This results in the other team getting pissed off at you and letting you know about it(and boy do they let you know about it), which results on a big grin on my face :D

Benzino wrote: »
    I love sniping in UT3, especially in Suspense. Cause when you get good at it, you can pretty much make sure the other team won't get near your flag. This results in the other team getting pissed off at you and letting you know about it(and boy do they let you know about it), which results on a big grin on my face :D

rofl:D and IMO, thats not being a pussy, thats using youre head! its probably the most effective defensive tactic, and people jus get pissed off cause theyre SH!T and keep running down the same path over and over jus gettin their heads blown off....cause theyre SH!T

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I love sniping in COD4 but I also use the overkill perk so I tend to mix it up in every map I play.

one sniper either side is dealable with. whats really pissy is when the practically the whole other team are camping / sniping, thats incredibly gay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

rofl:D and IMO, thats not being a pussy, thats using youre head!

exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Benzino wrote: »
    One thing that pisses a newbie off to no end is when they're trying to learn a map that a sniper has learned weeks ago. The n00b is exploring away, seeing an interesting place where people seem to go to get an advantage, wondering what's around this corner and... headshot, 15seconds, respawn. Now what was actually around that... headshot, 15secs, respawn. Ok then try a different route, really must find what's around that corn... headshot, 15secon.... quit.

I admire snipers who play in a game with experienced players who also know how to exploit the sniper's weaknesses (through knowledge of the terrain or whatever). But I absolutely loathe snipers who learn the n00b hotspots and spend all their day shooting fish in a barrel. Unfortunatly, I think they're in the majority and they're all pussies.

i agree with ^ above ^

I luv sniping in the likes of BF2. get to know who the best sniper on the other team is, just focus on him...throw a few head shots at him and he'll be focusing right back on you in the middle of a 30-40 player game. jus keep goin after that one sniper, get in his head, go sumwhere where he wouldnt expect you to go, and then move sumwhere else. jus keep double bluffin the one fella. some craic can be had that way. gets very tricky to predict where hes gonna be next cause hes got the same frame of mind as urself....mighty stuff!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gerthewanker

Ya I know what you're saying:D. Hey does anyone have any super sniper spots they'd like to share?I dont mean the obvious crane and roof tops now.I'm talking hard to get ,to far from the obvious places!My favourite is the train carriage in Karkand next to where you can cross the river(not the bridge)You have a perfect view of the flag so if you're squad leader you can camp there and cover you guys whilst they get the flag.Its also real easy to defend on your own with a few claymores!Granted it can be tricky at times to get into the darn train carriages without being seen!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I luv sniping in the likes of BF2. get to know who the best sniper on the other team is, just focus on him...throw a few head shots at him and he'll be focusing right back on you in the middle of a 30-40 player game.
    Sniper V sniper is pretty good, but when it's snipers V snipers on Bridge in Desert Combat, trying to cover the flag carrier, it's a whole different ball game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There was a firing squad behind that picket fence in Dealey plazza .

It was a turkey shoot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The sniper in gears of war is hard to master, but once you learn how to use it properly, you are dangerous! I always down people and use them as bait to lure out their friend! :D But there are ways of sorting out a sniper, throw smokes in front of him and rush him with a shotgun.

In battlefield 2, the best way is to take him out with another sniper or artillery the hell out of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Id rather die in COD4 to a sniper than some P90 noob. I started sniping because of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Never really liked sniping. It generally tends to be the most broing part of the game in my opinion. Many of the snipers I come across are generally doing so because they're terrible when fighting up close. Of course, they're usually pretty bad at sniping too. :pac:

It can be fun as a short term strategy but it really gets dull as you drag on in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I love sniping, I went as far as to buy Sniper Elite for the xbox. :D

COD4, BF2 and a few other games have sniping which actually takes effort, then you have games like halo that any odd noob can use a sniper with close to 100% accuracy. :pac:

At the same time I do still like the up close and personal stuff of short range smgs, and pistols. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

R0ot wrote: »
    I love sniping, I went as far as to buy Sniper Elite for the xbox. :D

COD4, BF2 and a few other games have sniping which actually takes effort, then you have games like halo that any odd noob can use a sniper with close to 100% accuracy. :pac:

At the same time I do still like the up close and personal stuff of short range smgs, and pistols. :D

Yeah its good to have a bit of skill in close range combat, like in gears of war when someone rushes you with a shotgun and your best resort is to shoot him back with a shotgun. :D

Advertisement