Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAN Phase II

Options
  • 16-01-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about the MAN Phase II rollout - specifically the Maynooth MAN? All I could find on Dept. of Comms site was that Phase II is due to start in 2006 and be completed in 2006/2007. e-net.ie, the manager of the MANs, also do not provide much info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I may be wrong, but I think Dempsey ran out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

Ha ... no surprise there I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As far as I'm aware, the contract for running the phase 2 MANs hasn't been awarded yet so there's no guarantee that E-Net will be managing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But unless you are Intel, Dell, an ISP or a DataCentre the MAN is no use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

watty wrote: »
    But unless you are Intel, Dell, an ISP or a DataCentre the MAN is no use to you.

Would it not mean that new service providers or better(Faster) services might move into a MAN enabled town? Or realistically, would it all be services for business and not residential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

There are MAN's being built in Nenagh,Roscrea, Templemore, Birr, Banagher, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale and Kilrush.
    The network is owned by Shannon Broadband (http://www.shannonbroadband.com/) and will be managed by an E-net type entity.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

MickH503 wrote: »
    Would it not mean that new service providers or better(Faster) services might move into a MAN enabled town? Or realistically, would it all be services for business and not residential?

It's not appropriate for most businesses. It often is no use for DSL services. It can sometime provide connectivity for a Wireless mast or data centre, but only if the MAN has low cost fibre backhaul to INEX, otherwise it's useless. Some MANs are not connected still years after completion as there is no affordable backhaul. The clue is in the name METROPOLITAN AREA NETWORK. Just how many Metropolises are there in Ireland that really need fibre Rings today?

I doubt the Kilrush one is connecting anywhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

watty wrote: »
    =The clue is in the name METROPOLITAN AREA NETWORK. Just how many Metropolises are there in Ireland that really need fibre Rings today?

Euh, most medium and large towns would be well served by one...

As for Kilrush; it's part of the Shannon development "e-town" programme.

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

MickH503 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about the MAN Phase II rollout - specifically the Maynooth MAN? All I could find on Dept. of Comms site was that Phase II is due to start in 2006 and be completed in 2006/2007. e-net.ie, the manager of the MANs, also do not provide much info.

Did you call the Comms Dept?, they will tell you some MAN's are under construction and maybe already built. which they are. their is a temporary management crew looking after the roll out, But as much as money had to be spent in making it more accessible to the general public, like "i want to connect, tell me how" that way things will move on better and it will be more informed.

Advertisement