Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good start for Capello

• 16-01-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Reports from Italy say Capello is been investigated for Tax fraud. Great news for England and their new boss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Whoopsies!

Just heard it, nothing on the web yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Its all over Sky Sports News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

No Way!! Well, there is the first nail if the results don't come. Interesting actually, the comments Sven made about why England didn't play like city when he said, 'England had no Elano'. Like the Newcastle Job, its a bit of a poisoned chalice. They are certainly not as good as some would have you think IMO. I'd be very surprised if Capello makes them into world beaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

JimiTime wrote: »
    No Way!! Well, there is the first nail if the results don't come. Interesting actually, the comments Sven made about why England didn't play like city when he said, 'England had no Elano'. Like the Newcastle Job, its a bit of a poisoned chalice. They are certainly not as good as some would have you think IMO. I'd be very surprised if Capello makes them into world beaters.

I think Capello will make them real contenders. The Iron general is the best manager England could have possibly hoped for.

Now if only Ireland could get a decent manager, we could actaully qualify for something again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Carson

Richards---Ferdinand--Terry---Cole

SWP----Gerrard--Hargreaves--Cole

Rooney

Owen

I think the England team has buckets of potential.

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    I think Capello will make them real contenders.
    Maybe. I just don't have faith in the players tbh. If he has the right formula for getting a good 'team' from the England pack, then yes he can make them into a force. Should be interesting.

The Iron general is the best manager England could have possibly hoped for.

Absolutely, him and Mourinho. If anyone is going to do it it'll be him alright.
    Now if only Ireland could get a decent manager, we could actaully qualify for something again.
    Amen to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I see Billic had a pop at him too.

I'm sure Capello will do well with England but he has to start getting results straight away as the press are just waiting to tear him to pieces if he doesn't.

Tusky wrote: »

Carson

Richards---Ferdinand--Terry---Cole

SWP----Gerrard--Hargreaves--Cole

Rooney

Owen

I think the England team has buckets of potential.

It has potential, but I think English players are short on technical ability. Lots of huff and puff, but no Pirlo's or Fabregas' etc. Thats my assessment of them anyway. After years of thinking, they have a great team on paper, I came to a conclusion that they don't have a great team on paper. That back 4 is yummy, Rooney is great, Owen if he gets his fitness back and retains his pace. Their midfield is their achilles heal IMO, and tbh, thats probably the most important. I think it was Man Utd's issue for years also. Then Scholes showed great form and Carrick (while not a huge fan), provided that little something that they lacked and were huge reasons why UTD won the premiership last season. I don't have faith in Gerrard as the midfields creative force, or Lampard for that matter. Both great players in their own right. I'd almost be tempted to try Rooney as a creative midfield player. Anyway, time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd wager a couple of things about England coming up now.
    The only absolute guaranteed starters are Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Hargreaves, Rooney.
    Everything else is up for grabs.

Capello is the type of manager who will build his team around a Hargreaves style player. He will be at the center of it all, winning back the ball, dictating tempo.

I'm really excited to see what he does, to see how he gets them to play, because in my mind, I can't figure out how England can get a workable system going, but I've no doubt that Capello is gona figure it out.

PHB wrote: »
    I'm really excited to see what he does, to see how he gets them to play, because in my mind, I can't figure out how England can get a workable system going,

Yeh, I'm pretty much in that boat.

Carson/Green

Richards/Neville?
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Hargreaves

SWP/Young
    Young/Cole

Rooney

Agbonlahor/Owen ?

Or maybe Lampard/Gerrard at the top of the diamond and Rooney to push on with Owen. I'd really like to see Rooney as the creative force though. Only because I can't think of anyone else who can be creative though, it may not work. As you said, it should be very interesting. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

But does Owen as the front man really work anymore, especially since he's injuried all the time? Also Rooney has shown he can play at the front of the team in the United team, but it requires fludity around him.

I'm gona put this out there, and see what people shout at me, but I think we'll see Carrick playing for England under Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

JimiTime wrote: »

Carson/Green

Richards/Neville?
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Hargreaves

SWP/Young
    Young/Cole

Rooney

Agbonlahor/Owen
    Personally, I think this team will suffer from only playing 10 men :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

yahoo_moe wrote: »

XD

So he can have Lampard/Gerrard in there aswell I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a typical Capello formation with the current England set-up.

Carson/James/Green

Richards
    Rio
    Terry
    Cole

Hargreaves
    Barry

Young
    Cole

Rooney
    Owen

Bench: GK, King, Lescott, Carrick, Gerrard, SWP and Agbonlahor

yahoo_moe wrote: »

i didn't draw the team up very clear, but i actually had a ? in place of my final striker, i.e. I'm not sure who'd be there.

PHB wrote: »
    But does Owen as the front man really work anymore, especially since he's injuried all the time? Also Rooney has shown he can play at the front of the team in the United team, but it requires fludity around him.

I'm gona put this out there, and see what people shout at me, but I think we'll see Carrick playing for England under Capello.

U know what, i think u might be onto something. He's certainly not world class, but as far as balance is concerned, he'd be an interesting selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tbh he has to pick Gerrard.

Aside from the back four, which picks itself pretty much, there are a host of problems for Capello with selection. Keeper, firstly. I have literally no suggestions. Carson? Ugh, average. James? Not a long-term solution. Robinson? Jaysus... Foster? Injured and unproven. Is Cudicini eligible yet??

But how he makes a workable front 6 is a much more diffificult question. Hargreaves, Rooney and Gerrard will all certainly feature in my mind. I hope Andy Gray doesn't read this forum, because I'd almost suggest Gerrard on the right. Capello does like having players sitting in midfield, rightly so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if his first XI went something like:

GK

Richards---Ferdinand---Terry---Cole

Hargreaves---Barry
    Gerrard
    Cole/Young
    Rooney

Owen/Gabby

That's probably the team I'd pick, leaves plenty of space around the front of midfield, where Rooney works best and Gerrard could run into. I'd probably pick Young to give a bit of width, and Owen just because he's quality and despite everything always seems able to find form in an England shirt. Well, nearly always... Carrick could be a good shout instead of Barry too, especially if he finds some form because I think a player like him would work very well in that system.

There are many weaknesses in the above team, and it doesn't suit the players perfectly. But I do think there has to be a compromise between the ''system'' and getting as many quality players on the field as possible. Like, Bentley or Wright-Phillips would probably 'fit' better than Gerrard, but surely you can make exceptions?

There are too many weaknesses in that team, which is why I can't see Capello making it work.

First off, I'll be very very surprised if we ever seen Barry and Hargreaves in the same team. Hargreaves will be first choice, Barry his cover.
    My theory is that he is going to somewhat model himself on the following system,

Hargreaves
    Carrick

Gerrard
    ---SWP
    Joe Cole-
    Rooney

I don't see Gerrard as a fulcrum like say Scholes would be, I see him as an attacking midfielder who will run at you and play quick interchanges, especially on the left side with Cole and Rooney.
    Hargreaves and Carrick defensively would work very well, and Carrick can distribute the ball.

That said, I really don't think Gerrards place is secure. Why? Because Lampard is also a very very good player. And I don't think both of them can play in the same team (although maybe Capello will do some magic)

I'd still be pretty surprised by the selection of Carrick. He probably is the type of player that England need, but he has been playing some shocking stuff this season, Newcastle aside. Plus, when Scholes (how well would be fit in btw!) gets back Carrick will probably be fourth in line for the central midfield spots at United. Surely first team football is a prerequisite, especially for Carrick who really needs a run of games to get going.

You're probably right about Rooney though, if Capello can get a team together that will function with Rooney as the frontman it would go a long way to sorting out the rest of his problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The thing I notice about English players, they really are found wanting at 'this level'.

I'm not talking about the big names like Gerrard, Lampard, Owen who do contrary to what people may say play at a good level but the players that may be having a great season, such as Ashley Young, David Bentley etc.

Case in point Darren Bent and Aaron Lennon. Bent had experienced two years of good goalscoring form and everyone was saying 'Bent must be given a shot'..Bent played against Jamacia(I think) and looked out of sorts. He just could not play International football, which I think is Bull, but his performances were evidence of this.

Likewise, Lennon a player touted to be devestating is horrible at Int. Level. McLaren dropped Beckham expecting that Lennon would be the replacment, and the player to make England progress, but his performances illustrate a completely different story. Eventually McLaren realised this guy wasn't up to much, and ditched it from the team.

Ultimately England must pick the best team on paper, which I think would be this:
    Green

Richards
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Bridge(I think he is better than Cole)

Hargreaves
    Lampard

Gerrard
    Cole

Rooney
    Owen(Agbonlahor)

England really does not have the squad it thinks it has. They really don't have the luxury of a crop of players all capable of being part of the Int. Team.

I think Young could perhaps be good, however Bentley I think is a bit of a one season wonder(not literally. They were hyping up Downing 'till they realised he was crap.

*When I say crap, I don't mean crap in that he is terrible at football, like I wish I was in his position, but when he first came on the scene the papers were in a frenzy. Even now, 10 million Spurs willing to pay Boro' for this player? I think not.

• Advertisement

Oh i'm not suggesting Carrick should be in the team, or that its a definate, but it's a suspicion I have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Really can't imagine Hargreaves being picked ahead of Barry. If he is it is a terrible decision. Young would definitely be a better choice than Wright Phillips aswell. Dunno bout Agbonlahor being upto it though.

EDIT: Sorry, this is to Cambiasso lover up there

You're probably right, though I think Young could be a very very good player.

That said, very few international teams have 'big name' players in every position. Right now, Spain are awash with playmaking talent but we all know how that's gonna work out. Italy at the World Cup were pretty good in every position, not sure how they've developed since really? Aside from that, the likes of Portugal, Holland, Germany, the Czechs, Poland, even France, the teams who generally play well - have some fairly average players getting their game. Sometimes it's more important to have the right type of player than the best player, so long as you're not relying on them to do too much.

DSB wrote: »
    Really can't imagine Hargreaves being picked ahead of Barry.

???

Really? Hargreves is an infinitely better player than Barry...

Not a chance.

Please call me Esteban....J/K

I agree with you, like some of the clowns Brazil call up...Spain have Riera, a Man City reject playing for them regularly now.

Italy are progressing well I think...Dessena and Aquilani being the biggest standouts. Curci will be great, but seeing as Gianluigi is still young for a goalkeeper he won't be needed for a while yet. Obviously a few will know the players like Pazzini and Montolivo, who are Italy's next generation.

I think Czech Republic(Just while we're at it) are a team in decline, like obviously I don't know how their youth players are, but aside from Rosicky and Jankulovski outfield I think they're just an ordinary team.

DSB wrote:
    Not a chance

Right so.

If it was Barry playing for United and Hargreaves for Villa, people would be pushing Barry forward for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Please call me Esteban....J/K

I agree with you, like some of the clowns Brazil call up...Spain have Riera, a Man City reject playing for them regularly now.

Italy are progressing well I think...Dessena and Aquilani being the biggest standouts.

Hold on there now a sec. We should have signed Riera but were too stupid/tight to fork out the 3 million wanted for him. I saw the guy play at the COMS and he was fantastic. MOTM by a mile and his form now is of no surprise to me. Have you even seen him play?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have, he must have done something since he left City. Whenever I seen him he looked out of sorts, and way off the pace. I thought he was good at first(like Kiki Musampa) and then slowly my opinion of him declined.

Xavi, don't tell me the Riera of Espanyol is the same Riera that played with City. They are like two different people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If it was Barry playing for United and Hargreaves for Villa, people would be pushing Barry forward for definite.

I have to disagree. Hargreaves has done it at the very top level with Bayern and has won everything available at club level. Barry's a good solid player and is vital for Villa, but he's not at Hargreaves' level.

Yeah, I have, he must have done something since he left City. Whenever I seen him he looked out of sorts, and way off the pace. I thought he was good at first(like Kiki Musampa) and then slowly my opinion of him declined.

He joined on a six month loan deal after having a nightmare time in France. Took him a few weeks to find his feet then he was class. So what do we do? Send him back to Spain. And please don't put him the same category as Musampa. One of our worst players in recent years.

Possibly, but Barry is not playing for United and Hargreaves is, because Hargreaves is a better player than Barry. :)

Like I said, I'd consider putting Barry in my team if I were England manager. I think he's a very good footballer, probably better than Hargreaves going forward too IMO. But Hargreaves is a better defensive player than Barry, positionally and tackling. He is a more intelligent passer and a better short passer. Has a better touch and a better ability to hold onto the ball, make space and make a pass. Hargreaves imo is a world class holding midfielder, and one of England's most important players. I would be flabbergasted if a fit Barry was selected ahead of a fit Hargreaves.

[lazy argument]And yes, he's won CL, Bundesliga etc [/lazy argument]

Xavi, don't tell me the Riera of Espanyol is the same Riera that played with City. They are like two different people.

Replied before your edit.

Of course he's not. He was 23 at City and playing in a foreign league but he was adapting brilliantly. We just didn't give him the time he deserved. He would have been great for us like he is now.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He joined on a six month loan deal after having a nightmare time in France. Took him a few weeks to find his feet then he was class. So what do we do? Send him back to Spain. And please don't put him the same category as Musampa. One of our worst players in recent years.

I'm not saying that I know the Riera that played for Man City, I say I watched him at most 6 times, but the Riera I remember was not playing at this level.

Crap you were in before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can see Capello loving Carrick. He'll use him as the playmaker.

I don't think he will. I wouldnt be suprised to see him go for Hargeaves and Joey Barton as the holding players to fight in midfield, ala Emerson and Lima at Roma, and Emerson and Viera at Juventus. He loves his two defensive mids.

I don't think he will. I wouldnt be suprised to see him go for Hargeaves and Joey Barton as the holding players to fight in midfield, ala Emerson and Lima at Roma, and Emerson and Viera at Juventus. He loves his two defensive mids.

I don't think Capello is doing a remake of Escape To Victory.

I could add Gago and Diarra to that list.

Someone suggested a

4-2-3-1 formation and I think this is exactly what he will use. Perhaps Beckham and Hargreaves as the two midfielders, with Gerrard, Cole and young supporting Rooney.

Oh how I laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I could add Gago and Diarra to that list.

Someone suggested a

4-2-3-1 formation and I think this is exactly what he will use. Perhaps Beckham and Hargreaves as the two midfielders, with Gerrard, Cole and young supporting Rooney.

that formation doesent exactley fit the team you suggested earlier though. as for Hargreaves/Barry, IMO they would compliment each other perfectly as the 2 in said 4-2-3-1 formation, and god know Barry is going to be getting more regular football than Carrick.

Advertisement