Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The water treatment centre.

Options
  • 16-01-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend this company or pass on any dealings they've had with them?

www.thewatertreatmentcentre.ie

I need to install a water softner with reverse osmosis because our limescale is unbelievable harsh.
    I have gotten a quote from "The Water treatment Centre" for A model E11 for E2800 :eek: including installation and VAT with a 15 year gaurantee.

I have been recommended by a friend to install one myself by buying the units myself through www.water2buy.ie i could save thousands.
    has anyone any thaughts on the issue??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I was looking up the net recently and you can get a water softener for around the 500-500 euro mark.

The typical water hardener uses salt, and salt is a major contributor to high blood pressure. So one option is to install it with a separate line to maybe one sink that does not go through the softener, and use if for cooking, tea, washing teeth etc. Granted, it will be a pain in the backside in that you'll still have scum in your tea etc.

If you use a Reverse Osmosis (RO) unit then it will remove the salt (we use it in my company for generating potable water from sea water on an offshore installation). An RO unit is the one of the few devices that will remove dissolved components from water. The problem with an RO unit is that the membranes are very expensive, need to be kept wet or they are ruined, and in your case you might not know when it is knackered. The RO unit was originally designed for the space industry, and this is unfortunelty reflected in the price (though I see on that site that one is reduced from 899 to 269).

If you were a competent DIYer then I would suggest you install it your self and save a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

Rimshott,
    I purchased a water softener (iron/lime unit really) online from Water2buy. I have not installed it yet but it arrived quickly and everything appear fine. There is not much to installing it so I would recommend doing it yourself instead of throwing your money away if you are ok at plumbing. I also purchased a reverse osmosis filter and some standard cartridge filters from them much cheaper that anywhere else I looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rimshott

thanks for the heads up - boylerman :)
    I'll save myself a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bob121

I myself live in the Meath area and have purchased a water softener over the internet a few months ago, thinking I got a bargain. As I'm not a plumber by trade and didn't find the instruction details very user friendly, I arranged to get a local plumber to install it. After a number of weeks, I had awful trouble with the system, we were lucky to be getting one week from a bag of salt and we had nothing but leaks under our kitchen sink. The company I purchased it from gave me no guarantee and my local plumber would not service the system. I felt as if the whole thing was a sham and could not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Fortunately, my neighbour also purchased a water softener, as he was having the same problems as us. Although the company he purchased from, was the water treatment centre. We eventually gave them a call and got a quote. At first we thought it was an awful lot of money for a new system, although after installing the system, we are extremely happy that we did. At the moment, we have a water softener installed and a tap for our filtered water, we get over 2 months from a single bag of salt and their customer service is excellent. If anyone is experiencing similar problems that we've had, learn form my mistakes, cheaper is not always better and I would highly recommend the water treatment centre. Bob

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Bob, please don't post on threads that are long dead simply to recommend a company on your first post here. This could be viewed as shilling or advertising for this company which is a common practice here, but is stamped out when proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Hey rimshott, i dont know if you remember or not but a good few months ago i started a thread about the water hardness in Ratoath and about The Water Treatment Centre. In that thread you were very quick to highlight how stupid i was to buy a water system from them because it was a rip off etc... Heres the page in case you dont remember what you said: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055127669&page=2

You were fairly sure that you could purchase a system for €674 at the time. Did that not work out for you? It seems strange that you would consider The Water Treatment Centre considering how against them you were in January and how much you felt i was ripped off...

Head :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Head, rimshott's post in your thread was after he started this thread. I think you may have got your post times a little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Thats a fair point delly, thanks for pointing that out. I hadnt seen the this thread before today so i assumed it was new. My apologies to rimshott! :o

Head

Advertisement