Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can connect to the wireless connection but not the internet

Options
  • 16-01-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,

Just got wireless installed (Netopia 2247WWG-VGX) and my house mates have no problems with it, I, how ever, am not so lucky.

I have an external wireless card (HP wirless PC card WL110), I can recieve an excellent signal and I'm connected to the router but cannot access the internet. If I do a check I get a message saying...

"A connection cannot be made to your default gateway. The gateway at IP adress 192.168.1.254 is not responding to ICMP pings"

So I went into RUN program and typed ipconfig/all and got the IP adress as 169.254.252.227 and tried to ping it with no luck so I'm assuming thats where my problem lies. So I got the IP adress of one of my housemates working laptops (192.168.1.1) and typed it into MyComputer->Networks->Wireless->TCP/IP and tried to ping it again with no luck. So I'm quite baffled now.
    ANy help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Is the wireless on your laptop set to DHCP under the TCPIP settings ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As said above 169.254.252.227 wouldn't be an ip address in the range given out by the modem, so it may be set in your wireless cards tcp/ip settings. You should be getting one of 192.168.1.something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

That IP comes up when your connection is Limited or No Connectivity.

Reconnect to your wireless, making sure you enter in your Wireless key correctly (check and make sure your CAPS is off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shenanigans9021

Thanks for the quick responses,

Yea the wireless on the laptop set to DHCP.
    And I can connect fine, I get full green bars I think the whole problem lies with the ip address. I tried the IP adress (192.168.1.1) of one of my housemates which their wireless is working fine and typed it into MyComputer->Networks->Wireless->TCP/IP and typed it into the manual settings box then tried to ping it again with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, I was just wodering if it has Vista on it, as i had the same issue giving local access only, if you search google " vista local access only " there's loads of information out there, I had to turn off autotuning to get mine to work, there is some cammand you type in and it disables this function..............

• Advertisement

No its running XP.
    I was able to change the IP address to a 192.168.x.x one, (well thats the address I got when I ipconfig/all. But still the same problem.
    Also I tried connecting the laptop directly to the router via the supplied cable again with no luck?????

No its running XP.
    I was able to change the IP address to a 192.168.x.x one, (well thats the address I got when I ipconfig/all. But still the same problem.
    Also I tried connecting the laptop directly to the router via the supplied cable again with no luck?????

OK... that's odd... Can you copy and paste up the results of an ipconfig /all ?

I'm interested to see what it says under "default gateway" and "subnet"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

OP-A 169 ip is a wrong ip that windows give when it doesnt get one. If 2 computers on the same network have the same IP neither will work. That router gives out IPs in 192.168.1.x (x is 1-253) Probably you are connected with limited connectivity caused by a wrong WEP. If its Vista you might have ipv6 turned on-go to the properties of you wlan connection and untick ipv6. Let me know how you get on...

Here are the results of an ipconfig /all.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ok. Go to your network connections and right click on the icon for your wireless card. Go to properties and highlight tcp ip (v4 if two). DHCP is fine but enter in a dns server. You can get that from your modems config page.

Try pinging 216.239.59.103 actually. (googles ip address)

• Advertisement

By any chance did / do you have ZoneAlarm installed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bkb

I have this problem with 2 desktops. My laptop can connect no problem. Both desktops can see the wireless connection via a usb belkin however neither can connect to the internet. On both pc's zone alarm was installed.
    This problem is doing my head in

There is a known bug / problem with the Ping errors and having removed ZoneAlarm... the ping errors indicate a problem with communications etc.

If you google it you will get some pointers to a fix....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bkb

I don't think that ping errors problem is the cause.
    I can see the wireless connection in the sys tray where it is showing a signal strength: excellent. However I can't ping the router. So I set up a static ip of 192.168.1.2 (laptop is 192.168.1.1) subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default GW of 192.168.1.254 but still no joy.

You will need to give some more details about your setup.

Does the Laptop connect via wireless ? How are the 2 PC's connected ? USB or Ethernet ??

Can all the Laptop's / PC's ping each other ??

".....DHCP is fine but enter in a dns server. You can get that from your modems config page."

Where do I get that, is it the same thing as the default gateway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

DNS is Domain Name Server. it translates www.blah.com to 10.1.1.1.(not the real IP address) for example.

Advertisement