Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe advice.

• 16-01-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 very close friends coming for dinner on Saturday - I know they love fish as do I and my partner so have decided to cook chilli & garlic prawns for starter and a traditional fish pie for main course.

1st Question - What could I serve with the fish pie? What would compliment it really well?

2nd Question - What wine should I go for?

3nd Question - I'm not at all good on desserts ! Would somebody be so kind to suggesst a dessert that would compliment this meal? Recipes with instructions would be very much appreciated?

Thanks in advance,

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

EireEV wrote:
    1st Question - What could I serve with the fish pie? What would compliment it really well?
    Presuming that the fish pie would already be topped with mashed spuds & maybe some grated cheese - I'd go for someting fairly plain like peas, cauliflower or asparagus on the side. You don't want to overpower the delicate flavours in the fish.
    EireEV wrote:
    2nd Question - What wine should I go for?
    White would be traditional, but I generally have whatever takes my fancy - usually a red. If you want to go the traditional route, maybe a Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc?
    EireEV wrote:
    3nd Question - I'm not at all good on desserts ! Would somebody be so kind to suggesst a dessert that would compliment this meal? Recipes with instructions would be very much appreciated?
    I'm no good on desserts either & generally go straight for a bottle of port or brandy. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks Hill Billy - what type of cheese and spuds would one use for the fish pie?

Anbody else for suggestions on the dessert - I'm desparate !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As the spud is going to be mashed pretty much any ol' spud should do. Maybe steam them so they don't get to soggy (which can happen to poor quality spuds).

As for the cheese - a mature white cheddar would be nice.

I've had a think about the veg & would definitely go for grilled leeks instead. Happy cooking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

My fish pie usually has leeks in it, so I wouldn't normally serve leeks with it. Peas, or steamed brocolli would be my choice.

I also usually top the pie with breadcrumbs and cheese, with a hint of nutmeg, allowing for a potato dish too. A baked potato would be nice, and you'll have the oven on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

French beans to accompany the fish pie - or maybe a little wilted spinach. Creme brulee for dessert - dozens of recipes on interweb.

Or a retro crepe suzette. Make pancakes well in advance. Squeeze of orange juice with a little grated orange rind and some sugar to taste in a pan. Fold the pancakes into fans, add to the pan, chuck in a small glass of brandy and allow to flame. Serve with a little whisked double cream.

Remember to reduce the portion sizes for a three course meal. You want your guests to be able to eat the dessert if you go to the trouble of making one. So a fish pie with a potato topping and a few beans on the side will be enough for a main course.

Wine - try the lighter Italian whites - pinot grigio or a german reisling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Persnonally, I'd loose the cheese from the pie. I might serve with asparagus too. A nice Chardonnay or Chablis maybe.

I'm with Hill Billy on the afters (a nice brandy), how about a nice simple sorbet?

Advertisement