Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canyon ulitimate al 9

Options
  • 16-01-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a good road bike in the next few weeks, I don't know much about them to be honest, was looking at this bike canyon ultimate al 9 for around the 2000euro mark or would I be better off going for something else? I choose this as the weight is very light for an aluminium bike. Any help would be apprediated.

http://www.canyon.com/rennraeder/index.html?b=11

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've never ridden one, but from everything I've read about them Canyon seem to have a good reputation. For someone who doesn't know a lot about road bikes, you're getting a whole lot of bike there, but if you can afford it you probably wouldn't have any complaints. Any reason why you were looking for an aluminium bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

el tonto the reason why I'm looking to this bike is that for the money its seems to have a good spec, compare it too the carbon frames it would cost me alot more for the same spec. I had a look at the Focus Cayo Expert carbon frame, but this bike complete is heavier than the canyon. Would you have any other recommendations? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you don't know much about bikes, spending 2000 on one straight off mightn't be a great idea. Entry-level machines are less than half that. I know very little about road bikes, but I think the general idea is to start basic and then see what upgrades you might need/like.

Canyon have a good reputation, but you might be better getting fitted in a bricks and mortar shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Be sure to check out the Outlet section of the site too. You can get good deals on last years stock.

I'll stick my states into the canyon website and get the bike fitted that way, sure if it does'nt work out I could strip the bike down buy a new frame and sell the old one on ebay. Anyway Morgan did'nt realise they had an outlet some great bargains there will be keeping a close eye there over the next few weeks, thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If you are going to spend that much on a bike, I really wouldn't do it online.

Anyway, it's probably worth asking yourself what you want the bike for. Aluminium is fine, but you'll feel the bumps in the road alot worse than carbon, but carbon frames won't last as long. Another option is to look at a steel frame, it's heavier than either of those two, but will last much longer and will be much more comfortable.

Unless you're planning to race on the bike, I wouldn't bother with carbon frames, but out of aluminium or steel, I'd probably pick steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why the focus on the weight? That Canyon is 7.2kg, the Focus Cayo Expert is 8kg. The Focus Cayo Expert would likely be a hell of a lot more comfortable.

blorg I presume a lighter bike it would easier for cycling up hills and easier to push along. I want to get a decent bike because after I come back from the Hamburg marathon 27th april, I want to do a triathlon and also want a bike for some long spins down the east coast in the summer.

A lighter bike is easier to push up hills but 800g is not going to make a world of difference, unless you are doing professional-level times. We are talking seconds. 8kg is still a "light bike."

EDIT: Note also that although 800g is 10% off that 8kg, it is the total system (bike+rider) that has to be taken into account when measuring the difference a drop in weight will make. Say you are 72kg clothed + 8kg bike = 80kg, 800g off that is only a 1% difference.

Having said that if two bikes were otherwise equal sure I'd go for the one 800g lighter. 800g is certainly "feelable." But there are likely to be other factors that are more important.

Long spins will be more comfortable on carbon (or steel.)

Weight is not at all critical for triathlon; aerodynamics are a lot more important. The courses are generally flat; as such tri/time trial bikes are generally not ultra-light and compromise on weight for better aerodynamics.

Point is, I would not fetishise that 800g, your waterbottle will weigh more.

Thanks for the reply blorg when you break it down like that it makes a lot of sense...could you recommend me a good steel or carbon frame bike if you get a chance, I have a budget of 2500euro for bike and shoes and other bites and bobs.

• Advertisement

I'm a recreational cyclist, don't race but do a lot of km. My experience is somewhat limited in this area but having only ridden entry-level aluminum before I was very happy with my first carbon bike, a Trek 5000. It was lighter, sure, but what really blew me away was the comfort, you could go all day on this over nasty surfaces.

Downside as has been mentioned is the crash scenario; I'm now in the same boat as you looking for a new bike. Note carbon is very strong, you really have to smash it into something hard at high speed (which unfortunately I did.) I don't yet have any experience with steel.

If you are buying online, as you have considered the Focus Cayos get very good reviews in the UK cycling press. Planet X is also worth a look. Don't let me put you off that very nice looking Canyon bike BTW, I just wanted to suggest that you not make your decision solely on 800g!

blorg thanks for your help so far, I can get a secondhand GIANT TCR CARBON COMPOSITE 04 model with dura ace setup for around the 1500-1600euro mark would that be a better buy? It looks in great condition, was told not alot off miles on it, its a private seller :confused:

A lot of people are wary of buying carbon second-hand because you don't know what it's been through.

If I was spending 1500-1600 I think I'd go for a new Ultegra or Ultegra SL bike over a four year old bike with Dura Ace.

Advertisement