Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

washing machine: what's going on?

• 16-01-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all, yesterday the washing machine stopped working during a wash and just before it was about to drain. The mains switch light was off and when I opened the door the water started to spill out so it's back shut.. anyway in case it was a blown fuse, I replaced the fuse and still the same problem..

What else could this be? I was going to plug it into another socket when I get home just in case that would work...but I'm thinking it's probably an internal problem with the machine?

The other idiotic thing I did was to pull the machine out too far and I snapped the drain/waste pipe so that's going to be another problem..

Would be really really appreciate any insights or help guys & gals...Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Any of the MCB's dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

No they're all on (at the circuit board)-- we turned the kitchen ring off and on again but that didn't do anything..if that's what you meant..

Could it be an issue with the drain pipe? But I'm thinking no as the switch light isn't on anyway... I've been reading around here and other places and at least I have learned I can use the filter to drain the water out (don't think there is a drain drawer at the bottom).

just did a little googling..

Could it be that the thermal fuse in the back overheated and blew as a consequence just before it got to draining stage hence no power??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If there is a thermal fuse in the circuit, it not unreasonable to expect one where an electrial heater is present, as you know it will have tripped due to a fault in the heater circuit. So, if you are looking to dive into the electronics of the device, you should isolate the heater coil first (after isolating the machine!) and then try and find the open fuse.

But...
    The mains switch light was off
    you said that the indicator at the mains was off, so should you not troubleshoot this first, before looking at the system?

How do you mean troubleshoot it? Do you recommend I switch the mains switches on and off (MCB) again or did you mean troubleshoot it from within? Sorry...I am clueless.

I wouldn't even consider going near the fuse after what you've just told me as well so THANK YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well, you stated that the "mains switch light was off" and I take that to mean that you have a wallsocket with a switch and light on it, and that you found that the light is not on anymore. This says to me that there isn't any power getting to the socket?

So, does another device work in the socket? For example, a hairdrier?
    If it does work, tell us, do you get any lights on on the front of the machine at all?

Sorry for being unclear... I meant the light that ison the machine that should be on doesn't turn on (with plug in socket...). It had 'mains' under it so I called it that. Just in case I did try a hairdryer like you suggested and that worked fine...
    I was thinking to check inside the drain hose that connects with the waste pipe incase it got blocked...is that a silly idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Try setting the machine for a new wash. See if anything hapens. If you get no lights/sounds/movement check the fuse in the plug. If the machine does start, watch it to see what it doesn't do. If the pump runs but doesn't drain then you probably have a blocked hose or filter. If this doesn't solve the problem I think you should consult a repair service. Watch out for that drain pipe, if water drains when it is laid flat on the floor you don't have a blockage.

My battle continues...

What I did: rechecked fuse, grand. Drained washer, then cleaned out the filter at front, found underwire from bra which was slightly behind the pull out filter container (could it have affected the pump motor?) and turned all back on again but still no indicator light on machine coming on, so it looks like no power coming in to machine so now am wondering could the working of the motor affect the ability of the machine to power ON?

Sorry to keep on about this but this is my last shot!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭youtheman

I would suspect that it could be possible the pump (that pumps the water out of the machine). Its normally at the lowest point on the machine, near the front, where the filter is. If you can turn the machine on its back (having gotten all the water out of it first ) check the pipes going into it to see if you can feel a blockage. Maybe take the pipes off the pump and inspect.

If you are what I would call a 'competent DIYer' then you could rig up a temporary cable (say from a bedside lamp), and depending on the electrical connections, put power directly onto the pump and see if it turns.

I used to try my hand at washing machine repair, but to be honest they've gotten so cheap that I scrap them after a few years at the first sign of trouble.

Other old relaibles to check are (though unlikely in your case) :

1. is the door seal leaking
    2. is the drive belt o.k.
    3. are the brushes on the main motor (that drives the drum via the belt) o.k.

• Advertisement

okay, so it turned out that the machine hadn't been cleaned out in five years and the muck got into the machine when the filter was overloaded- don't blame me I'm only in the place 6 months!!
    Just thought I'd post that up in case it helps someone searching around in the future with similar problem.

Must say though, the thing still doesn't fully drain just when the wool wash is on but works perfectly for other things so I won't complain!! :)

Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

pog it wrote: »
    okay, so it turned out that the machine hadn't been cleaned out in five years and the muck got into the machine when the filter was overloaded- don't blame me I'm only in the place 6 months!!
    Just thought I'd post that up in case it helps someone searching around in the future with similar problem.
    Was just going to suggest this. The filter can normally be accessed from the bottom of the front of the machine.

Same applies to dryers. You need to clean the filters out at least every 5 runs or it won't be efficient.

Advertisement