Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Wroclaw

• 16-01-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

I'm off to Wroclaw, Poland tomorrow - just for a few days. Going with the girlfriend....so has anyone here been and if so what would they recommend doing?

I'm doing a few google searches but would like to know if anyone from here has any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Well since no one has ever been I'll pop in a few suggestions.

I've been inter railing around eastern Europe so I am well used to the people, languages and the food.

First of all certain parts are not the nicest but that really doesn't bother me. A lot of the are reminded me a bit of Slovakia, not the best comparison but I kinda liked Slovakia.

If you are going with your girlfriend prepare to be in shops a lot - :mad: But to be honest I couldn't blame her - clothes along with everything else are dirt cheap. Especially in winter sales.

Have a good long walk around the main square, its really really nice. Really.

If you feel like doing something touristy, see the Panorama.
    A 360 degree painting of a battle that took place between Poland and Russia. Its very cool.

Pick up one of the touristy maps cos they give you the locations of pubs and nightclubs - of which there are ****loads! Every different type of spot from dingy to shiny and all music tasts are taken care of.
    If you don't know, Wroclaw is a student town so its fairly lively at night-time and places stay open till 4ish.

Food wise, there are so many different types of restaurants you cant go wrong. The first night we went to this Grill type place, 2 dinners and a bottle of wine for 20 euro. We tried the local food as well - a type of dumpling with potato and cheese, stodgy but Yum :)

Anyhoo, hope this entices someone to visit cos its a cool city with really fun people...any questions pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The shops are mediocre, the bars even worse. Beer is cheap, people are OK, a bit touristy overall, The square is great, especially if you like walking around tall churches etc. A few museums nearby but overall, a bit dull.

Last visit just before Chrsitmas, with a group, serious drinking in an 'Irish' type bar just off main square, good beers and very cheap.

Be careful of some bars in/around main square, bouncers take no **** from nobody especially locals. Witness a horrendous incident whereby a guy stumbled off bar stool and no questions two tank built skinhead bouncers picked him up, no Q's asked and threw him out the door into square head first. The guy didn't know what hit him. Say him an hour later he was badly shaken, and he didn't look like the hassle type. Anyways, these Polishskinner Bouncer types are OTT.

There's an American Restaurant 'Rodeo Drive' we ordered the most expensive steaks (T Boners), I ate mine but some of the party complained they were tough, but not as tough as some of the local stuff. If you're really stuck there's Pizza Hut and some OK kebab shops in Square.

Overall a bit dull despite the best efforts of some local tour guides.

Had a ball with 50+ English guys over for a Stag, Sundays seems like a ghost town, if it wasn't for being with our crew, it would be pretty forgettable.

Advertisement