Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen cover - quinn direct

• 16-01-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

My car was broken into last night in the Killester Dart station car park. Both front and rear windscreens were smashed, along with all door and side windows.

I rang quinn direct, and as I dont have windscreen cover, they claim that I am not entitled to claim. Now I thought windscreen cover covered just that...windscreens? Is it true that it extends to all glass on the car or are they trying to pull a fast one on me?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windscreen cover typically covers all of the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

damn. ok well i got a quote from AIW for replacement of all the glass. Between 700-1000 euro.

Can i claim this on insurance? I know i dont have windscreen cover, so i will probably lose the no claims bonus, but can i put in a claim on my insurance without windscreen cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I rang quinn direct, and as I dont have windscreen cover, they claim that I am not entitled to claim. Now I thought windscreen cover covered just that...windscreens? Is it true that it extends to all glass on the car or are they trying to pull a fast one on me?
    thanks

I dont get it, do you, or do you not have windscreen cover.

Did you pay extra for it ?

Its and optional extra with Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Windscreen cover" generally refers to a non-NCB affecting option to replace the front windscreen if its damaged. This should be claimable on Fully Comp and possibly as theft on 3PF+T but would affect your NCB...

I do not, I didn't pay extra for it. However I though it only applied to the windscreen...hence the name.

So I was wondering if I could claim for the additional smashed windows (minus windscreen)

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    "Windscreen cover" generally refers to a non-NCB affecting option to replace the front windscreen if its damaged. This should be claimable on Fully Comp and possibly as theft on 3PF+T but would affect your NCB...

I dont care about the NCB or if i lose it. Just dont want to fork out 1000 euro out of my own pocket.

So you reckon I can make a claim with my fully comp to replace all glass but it will affect the NCB?

It's currently in for fingerprinting with the guards. Bas*ards went through glove box, found nothing and then obviously got pi**ed off and smashed every window on the car :mad: Times like this a lad could be done for murder if I caught them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should be able to claim for all of them... Quinn probably thought you wanted the front screen covered without it affecting the NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

u will be able to claim on ur comp for malicious damage and the break in, unless ur 5 yrs protected though u will lose 3 yrs ncb

thanks for the replies...time to ring quinn again. they were only too quick to tell me the last time that i wasnt covered. Time to look for a new insurance company I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

you might be better off in the long run not claiming

if you claim, your insurance will go up next year and even the year after that and maybe for a third year your insurance might be higher

so depending on how much is your insurance now ?
    and how many years no claims bonus have you ?

it might be cheaper to just pay for it yourself

• Advertisement

My insurance now is 1050 euro on a 1.4 golf (just renewed last month)
    Im just gone 26 , with 2 years NCB with Quinn Direct.

Now I think thats a very high quote, maybe thats just me though.

Do you reckon it would go up by much? What do you think the best thing to do is given my details above?

thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They'll probably load you by about 20% next year. Have you got a full licence?

Incidentally, my insurance is due for renewal at the moment and this is the first time any company has been able to out-price quinn for me. Quinn were looking for €900 to renew my fully comp policy on a 2007 Honda Civic 1.8. I'm 25 with 3 years NCB and 3 years full licence.

I'm going with AIB (i.e. they're brokering Hibernian) for €758. They're giving me 4 years NCB because I had a year as a named driver before getting my own policy, which Quinn won't combine with NCB earned in my own name. Plus they're giving step-back NCB protection, windscreen cover and a few other bits and bobs for that price.

Most expensive quote I got was from FBD, €1550! :eek: Eagle Star refused to quote, saying they won't touch any Honda Civic over 1.4 litres :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

To reiterate. If you are fully comp you can claim for all the glass but it will affect your no claims bonus. Possibly you will lose it all, maybe just some of it and you might be loaded at your next renewal. Only your insurer can confirm this.

Bear in mind that the excess on your policy could be a few hundred euro too. If AIW can do it for €700 but you have to pay a €400 excess, is it worth having a claim on your record to get €300 out of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

yeah what miltown is saying is true, i forgot about the excess
    ( the excess just in case you dont know is the amount you must pay first on any claim , and the insurance will pay the rest )

i was with quinn direct last year and i think it was €380
    check what yours is, id say its around the same

so next year you should have a 3 year ncb .
    but if you claim you will lose this

so that will mean your insurance will go up by 3 or 400 next year id say
    and even the year after when you should have a 4 years ncb , you will only have built up a 1 year ncb, so again you will be another few hundred down

i dont think id claim in your position, but check with quinn and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Most expensive quote I got was from FBD, €1550! :eek: Eagle Star refused to quote, saying they won't touch any Honda Civic over 1.4 litres :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Eagle Star has no business not quoting. The have an obligation to do so. If they want to give you a completly of the wall quote that's their good right but they should quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

ur excess should be 190 - if u got 2yrs ncb, u wull be down at 0 at renewel

Hi,

Got a quote of 850 all in from AIW for the glass. Im not sure if there is any bodywork damage yet as I cannot get in to see the car until it is fingerprinted. I would say there is a likelyhood of body damage if they went so far as to smash every window keyed the paintwork maybe?

Confirmed that my excess is 190 with QD. again they tried to get me off the phone until i told them i wanted to claim.

Any idea how long a claim would take to go through, until i got my car back? do these sort of things usually get sorted quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Eagle Star has no business not quoting. The have an obligation to do so. If they want to give you a completly of the wall quote that's their good right but they should quote.

A lot of companies don't quote on high performance cars and convertibles. It's not against the law. It's only against the law if they don't quote based on their age/gender/where they live/licence type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi,

Got a quote of 850 all in from AIW for the glass. Im not sure if there is any bodywork damage yet as I cannot get in to see the car until it is fingerprinted. I would say there is a likelyhood of body damage if they went so far as to smash every window keyed the paintwork maybe?

Confirmed that my excess is 190 with QD. again they tried to get me off the phone until i told them i wanted to claim.

Any idea how long a claim would take to go through, until i got my car back? do these sort of things usually get sorted quickly?

Remember though, if you make a claim you will be stuck with them for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

I had my car broken into about 6 years ago, (Fiat Punto) The drivers side lock was popped and they stole the stereo. Blaukpunt fiat issue. They must have used a crowbar to take it out as the whole dash had to be replaced. If I remember correctly this was considered as theft from the vehicle by the insurance company (AXA) and all I paid was the excess and didnt lose my NCB. I had fully comp ins. You might just check this out with Quinn Direct as you were not driving the car at the time, and the damage was no fault of your own!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement