Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements for young expectant mums???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dame had been banned for 1 week for abusing another poster.

There is a 3 month wait for when you apply for single parents allance after the birth of your child and as part of your application they will want to know about you claiming maintence from the father of the child. Is he helping you at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Try shopping on auction sites for your baby things ebay is good with car seats, buggys cot etc,that will help you save in some cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

wanabehome wrote: »
    Try shopping on auction sites for your baby things ebay is good with car seats, buggys cot etc,that will help you save in some cash
    And you're bound to come across mothers who are finished with having babies (like myself) and have a lot of stuff to give away! Go into any St.Vincent de Paul or Enable Ireland shop and you will find lots of nearly new baby clothes and accessories at a fraction of the price. Lidl do cheap nappies. And this website has stuff people don't need and want to give away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Dame had been banned for 1 week for abusing another poster.

dame banned for abusing a poster!! well I never! and I thought it was just me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

dame wrote: »
    Actually, going to the bother of looking up legislation for you and making helpful suggestions as to what you could do at work to make life easier for you and enable you to continue working was being generous and positive. If you want to flippantly ignore that and get on your high-horse over a perceived character slight, then you really are an ungrateful little madam who doesn't deserve the help and time of people here.

How do you propose to provide for your child for the first few years of his/her life while you stay at home? The dole? Will you be looking for the council to provide a home for you both? Choosing to stay at home for the first few years of their child's life is something people may do when they are financially secure and not sponging, in my opinion. Why don't you try and get another job now, at least for the next few months? Also, if you seriously want to go to college, the sooner the better. The longer you leave it the harder it will be to go back to education. Why don't you look into starting a course next September? It can be done. The baby will be as old then as many other babies who are left with child-minders or in creches while their mothers return to work. There would be "entitlements" which would help you financially in doing so and you would be taking a very positive step towards being a positive role-model for your child and building a better future for you both.

Yes, I am being quite dismissive of you here. Feel free to get annoyed. I hope it spurs you out of your "entitlements" fixation.

<<<<<<<<<<<<This person is everything that is wrong with the Ireland in the modern era.Where's your humanity?

Dame was already banned for her post, can we please move on now,
    thanks.

AGain if you have an issue with a post use the report post function report.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Thanks everyone!!!

Thanks fo the ebay suggestion and that link for the unwanted items site.

Have an appointment with the social welfare officer wednesday and il let ye know how i get on and what i decide to do, for future reference aswel, if anyone is in my postition and comes across this thread theyl get the pointers everyone has posted. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Blk150 wrote: »
    <<<<<<<<<<<<This person is everything that is wrong with the Ireland in the modern era.Where's your humanity?

It took me a second to work out which of them you were directing that at.

I think Dame makes a lot of good points in what she says.

We do have a problem in this country with people milking the social welfare system for what it is worth and not bothering to go out and work,sure why would they when everything is paid for for them?

Though at some stage in our lives we may find that for whatever reason we may need to seek assistance from this fund due to unforeseen circumstances both beyond our control and not.

I think it is wrong to see claiming full time, as a long term solution even for a single mom but it in the short term when her life is going to change dramatically and she is on her own I think it has to be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Moonbeam wrote: »

I think it is wrong to see claiming full time, as a long term solution even for a single mom but it in the short term when her life is going to change dramatically and she is on her own I think it has to be an option.

Yes, it is "wrong" for people to claim benefits for the state out of something like sheer laziness or greediness, but I would agree with you that it is the only feasible option for the OP at the moment. Babies can't live on fresh air.

The OP is only young, so she hadn't much chance to build up PRSI contributions to allow to her claim Maternity Benefit in the applicable tax year, but that doesn't make her a sponger. She is currently paying taxes, just like any of the rest of us do - she just doesn't have enough PRSI contributions made in the right tax year to get Maternity Benefit. Once she gets back to work, she'll be paying taxes. PRSI is pay related social insurance - you pay it in the event that someday, you may need social welfare. She needs it now. To paint her as some sort of freeloader or sponger IMO isn't fair.

• Advertisement

embee wrote: »
    . Once she gets back to work, she'll be paying taxes. PRSI is pay related social insurance - you pay it in the event that someday, you may need social welfare. She needs it now. To paint her as some sort of freeloader or sponger IMO isn't fair.
    And her baby will be a taxpayer of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

embee wrote: »
    Yes, it is "wrong" for people to claim benefits for the state out of something like sheer laziness or greediness, but I would agree with you that it is the only feasible option for the OP at the moment. Babies can't live on fresh air.

The OP is only young, so she hadn't much chance to build up PRSI contributions to allow to her claim Maternity Benefit in the applicable tax year, but that doesn't make her a sponger. She is currently paying taxes, just like any of the rest of us do - she just doesn't have enough PRSI contributions made in the right tax year to get Maternity Benefit. Once she gets back to work, she'll be paying taxes. PRSI is pay related social insurance - you pay it in the event that someday, you may need social welfare. She needs it now. To paint her as some sort of freeloader or sponger IMO isn't fair.

I completely agree embee. I cant believe some of the attitudes towards a young girl looking for some advice. I hope none of ye ever fall on hard times. OP theres no point in me repeating what some others have said, def go see your community welfare officer. Take a look at the citizens advice website and the welfare one to get some info and try not allow yourself to be fobbed off (easier said than done)

I wish you the best of luck with this, try not to stress too much. I hope you have family and friends around you for some support.

Peared wrote: »
    I completely agree embee. I cant believe some of the attitudes towards a young girl looking for some advice. I hope none of ye ever fall on hard times. OP theres no point in me repeating what some others have said, def go see your community welfare officer. Take a look at the citizens advice website and the welfare one to get some info and try not allow yourself to be fobbed off (easier said than done)

I wish you the best of luck with this, try not to stress too much. I hope you have family and friends around you for some support.
    +1
    OP, please let us know how you get on.
    And don't put yourself under any pressure, the health of you and your child is more important than anything else.

Advertisement