Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most painfull accident

• 16-01-2008 2:30pm

So, what is the most painfull (physical) accident that you've ever had?

Mine was my arm getting caught in a Dublin bus middle door when it was opening which broke my wrist bone breaking the skin revealing my radial bone to the open eye. SICK! I was only 14 at the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Paper cut on my knobend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

I'm very lucky in regards to accidents but my poor hubby hasn't been at all. 4 years ago he was frying some pancakes when his brother Mat came bounding into the kitchen and give him an almighty kick in the arse, my poor hubby spilled the burning hot oil over his left arm, he was in agony. Mat threw a basin of dish water over his arm in an attempt to ease the pain but made it worse. The hubby still hasn't forgiven him for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Having the gears jam up on my bike causing instant hard breakage, which caused the handle bars to turn 90 degrees while I flew forward into them with the end of the handle pushing right into my abdomen causing a very painful hernia and bowel nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Trampled by a horse in Kerry or getting a toy plastic arrow stuck in the gap between my eye and skull when i was a nipper.

No real permanent damage from either, just 'ickle scars.

Nothing as bad as a bad burn Gilly.

That happened to me before too mp3 but the damage given wasn't as bad.

A ****ing horse, OUCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bit my tongue once, ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sitting against an electric fence in a field one evening, felt like a kick from a mule.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

60mph into a tree... walked away tho :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Fell out of a car drunk, tore all the tendons, ligaments, important stuff in my ankle. It was bruised from the toe to the knee, disgusting looking. Was on crutches for about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My boss in work was doing to much bitching at me and i was not in the mood so i broke my hand off the counter.

He stopped bitching, i had a broken hand.

First time a girl went to jack me off was the worst. Why she felt like slappinf the palm of her hand down on this head is beyond me.. but suffice to say i cannot walk in a striaght line anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BOOBLESS

KaG1888 wrote: »

Mine was my arm getting caught in a Dublin bus middle door when it was opening which broke my wrist bone breaking the skin revealing my radial bone to the open eye. SICK! I was only 14 at the time.

jaysis, how much did you get from CIE? Free Bus?

BOOBLESS wrote: »
    jaysis, how much did you get from CIE? Free Bus?

Haha,
    I knew that would be asked eventually. It was £14957 (Always remembered that figure lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Fell head first on a nail once as a kid which had to be pulled out. Nothing as bad as some of you people though :eek:

my hand was on fire after refilling a zippo lighter.:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Got a tube of super glue all over my face once, was pretty sore peeling it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hair line Fracture of my left elbow 5 mins into a game of indoor soccer. Played the rest of the game in goals. Went for the xray after being in agony for two weeks :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

There was quite the gale blowing one day when I was 4 years old. The front and back doors were both open, creating a wind tunnel. I was heading into the kitchen, and *slam*. My little finger on my right hand was crushed at the tip.
    T'was painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

I'd say you were handsomely compensated for that particular accident.... none of my business just idle speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I got my foot caught between a plough and a tractor when I was 5 and it broke my ankle. That was fairly sore at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

Haha,
    I knew that would be asked eventually. It was £14957 (Always remembered that figure lol)

I retract previous reply....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

I got knocked down once by a car. No broken bones but ripped a fair amount of skin off the right side of my face. Had to get an operation to remove the stones and dirt that were under my skin as a result. Pretty sore!

When I was younger we had a swing rope tied to a tree and once when I climbed up to have a go I slipped and somehow managed to get caught on the rope which left haging upside down. Was like that for 20 minutes before my trousers ripped and I fell flat on my head!

Walked into a complete glass door in college and went around with an enormous nose for the rest of the week! Pride took a bashing in that too.

Recently I dropped a shelf case used for storing A0 sized drawing sheets on my foot and cracked a load of my toe nails.

Thats some of em but I wouldn't call myself accident prone. No just a bit unlucky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Fell off the beam whilst doing a flip in gymnastics.

I misplaced my second landing foot and resulted in my falling off and brusing all down the right side of my body. somehow i manged to have no broken bones but brusies from head to toe.

It's resulted in one of my Trapezius muscle in my shoulder not growing fully and i have a constant knot in it due to the trauma..was on 11 at the time.

I also caught my thumb in between the storage room of the gym and a trampoline when putting the equipment in. my finger splurted blood and my nail only grew back about 2 years ago... was 15 wen that happened....ouchies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Co-worker shot me in the hand with an industrial staple gun. Kind of like these but 1 1/2" long. It only hurt when I tried to move my fingers at all so I stopped until the staple was removed. No harm done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Once when I was back in school we were doing PE and we were jogging around the basketball courts to warm up. As I was jogging I looked over at the soccer pitches where people were playing. Looked for too long because I ended up running straight into the basketball ball pole. Fractured my knee and had a concussion

Maybe I am accident prone??? :confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

1. Broke my little toe while walking barefoot in old apartment. Toe was off at a mad angle. Sore.
    2. Manfully reset toe with a loud crunch and fainting ladies. Sore, but cool.
    3. Getting toe checked out in hospital Doc looks at it, says it doesn't seem broken. And fecking start pulling and twisting it! Very sore. Very uncool. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

stood on a board with a nail sticking out it went most of the way through my foot, i was lucky though it didn't do any damage to anything inside but i couldn't walk on it for about a month!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mine is pretty gruesome.

I was in school one day waiting outside a classroom beside a big set of spring loaded double doors, and we were messign around, as you do, but anyway, withough thinking i rested my hand down on the door frame, just beside the hinges.

The door closed with my fingers caught in it, and two of my fingernails were ripped right out of the root, and were left hanging on at the very tip of my finger.

That was about 4 years ago, and the nails still aren't recovered. They're not as smooth as they should be and not as strong either.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Mine is pretty gruesome.

I was in school one day waiting outside a classroom beside a big set of spring loaded double doors, and we were messign around, as you do, but anyway, withough thinking i rested my hand down on the door frame, just beside the hinges.

The door closed with my fingers caught in it, and two of my fingernails were ripped right out of the root, and were left hanging on at the very tip of my finger.

That was about 4 years ago, and the nails still aren't recovered. They're not as smooth as they should be and not as strong either.

We have a winner, OUCH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

A third degree tear whilst giving birth......:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

A book case fell on me from behind during class in primary school and cracked my skull, blood everywhere! One of the little ****s pushed it (for whatever reason) and was left pinned to the table gushing for about 5 minutes while the teacher hurled the contents of his stomach :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Kazobel wrote: »
    A book case fell on me from behind during class in primary school and cracked my skull, blood everywhere! One of the little ****s pushed it (for whatever reason) and was left pinned to the table gushing for about 5 minutes while the teacher hurled the contents of his stomach :rolleyes:

Jesus :eek: Hope you got compensation also! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Had my big toe crushed.
    The bottom of it split open, the nail popped off and the bone broke.
    the sorest part was getting two injections where the nail used to be.

Also, I was shot in the head 17 times, but that didn't really hurt.

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Jesus :eek: Hope you got compensation also! :)

No, I was only about 10 and as far as I know my parents never persued it, I never did ask why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I slipped on the stairs in a club with two pints in my hands, sliced my hands up pretty bad, severed a tendon and some nerves! I was goin around with a poxy smelly splint on for the next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Debbiedoo2

Fell down the stairs and broke the tail end of my spine!! Very painful and they cant do anything for it, months later and it still hurts!!

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Also, I was shot in the head 17 times, but that didn't really hurt.

Yeah I've heard it's like being slapped repeatly with a feather :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

getting my dislocated toe put back in by a trainee doctor he had 6 go's before i found out he was a trainee and asked for a orthopedic doc who got it in first time ...... shakes fist at HSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

fell down the stairs when i was younger and hurt my chin....had to get stitches on it too! very painful.

also fell and smacked my head against a chair and also had to get stiches in my head!

both have left me with a scar! ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I slipped on the stairs in a club with two pints in my hands, sliced my hands up pretty bad, severed a tendon and some nerves! I was goin around with a poxy smelly splint on for the next month or so.

Actually now that i think of it the actual fall and initial cuts weren't the most painful part of the accident! the nurse pulling open the wounds the get any loose glass out was pretty fkd up but still not as bad as the 1 and a 1/2 inch needles they injected into the base of my fingers for the local anaesthetic to stich them back up was definately the worst part.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Jumped up to do pull ups from the top of a door in school (after being advised to do so by some mates:rolleyes:) anyway there was some sort of draft excluder yoke with these pointy things sticking up out of it and i managed to grab it. Basically i was stuck up there with 6 of my fingers in this thing! Had to be pushed up to get down! Felt like i was up there for hours when in fact twas only 5 seconds. Turned out the school had put it there to stop guys doing exactely what I had done. Could have made a mint from em but never pursued it, still have the scars to prove it tho!!

• Advertisement

Debbiedoo2 wrote: »
    Fell down the stairs and broke the tail end of my spine!! Very painful and they cant do anything for it, months later and it still hurts!!
    I did that a few months ago.
    I don't remember it happening as I was really drunk, but I was in pain for weeks.
    I think I fell off a chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Debbiedoo2

Terry wrote: »
    I did that a few months ago.
    I don't remember it happening as I was really drunk, but I was in pain for weeks.
    I think I fell off a chair.

I was really drunk myself but i felt it the next day! It takes about 8 months to heal. And longer if your wearing high heels!

Debbiedoo2 wrote: »
    I was really drunk myself but i felt it the next day! It takes about 8 months to heal. And longer if your wearing high heels!
    I don't think I broke mine. Just bruised it.
    I won't be wearing heels all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

snapped my leg in half, both tibia and fibula, in a rugby match. A compound fracture where the only thing keeping the lower half attached to the rest of me was my calf muscle, the skin was split right round too.

when I was in hospital after arriving in the ambulance a nurse came in and picked my leg up at the knee. Needless to say the broken bits that were'nt attached fell down at 90degrees in the middle of my shin. I lost the plot at her cos of the pain and she ran out crying only to meet the doctor who gave her an equally severe ear bashing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The physio required for trying to straighten my leg again after some slightly overcautious medics in Italy decided that immobilising it for 5 weeks was the best plan of action for a torn ligament in my knee, and then some NHS doc's being to cautious to overrule them until they had the results of an MRI back which just happened to take about 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Swimming in australia bout 2 days after arriving and feel this really sharp crushing pain in my leg, thinkin this is it a fsuckin shark is after gettin me i drag myself back to shore

The undercurrent was that strong it pulled my entire calf muscle outta place and pushed it around to the front of my shin :eek: it looked cool but i was literally seein red cos of the pain and you know the worst thing about it?..........everybody was freakin out about it that much nobody took a bleedin picture!!! :mad:

Forgot to mention i also manfully pushed it back round again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

broke my left arm 6 years ago- was playing soccer on a road (not the best place i know), a cousin pushed me from behind, i fell and ended up with a greenstick fracture\break to both bones in my arm- my arm was bent at ninety degrees halfway between my elbow and wrist! was taken to the hospital where the doctor decided to bend it back into place without warning me what he was about to do (he got a load of abuse for that!)! was in a cast for 8 weeks.

got electrocuted 3 years ago, both feet were badly burnt and had some burns to both hands, spent 2 months with my feet wrapped in bandages, had to get them changed every day, was barely able to walk after it, the skin and flesh has grown back now but i've no feeling on parts of my feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I flipped a car over in the UK which landed on my right arm and slid about 5 foot down the road with my arm under it. Burnt all the nerve endings on the inside of my right arm and tore a 4" hole through which I could see my elbow bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Skidded on a patch of oily ground while going full tilt on my mountain bike around a corner. I removed most of the skin from my two hands and the left side of my face. Alos there were stones falling out of my hands and face for weeks after as the skin grew out. I would be reading a book and next thing plop a little bit of stone would drop on the page. Worst part was when some guy from one of the buildings nearby took me in and washed my hands and face off with dettol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Didn't "Mind the gap" getting out of a train, in fact i was drunk and stepped straight in it, l landed on my knee, it was killing me for about a month, its all good now though, thank christ the train didn't start up again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement