Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

communion dresses ??

Options
  • 16-01-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Any one know or reccomend anywhere i can buy one ,have to get the ball rolling ,daughter making it in april and "apparently" im pushing it now to get one in time !! load of c*ap i hope ?? what a big fat deal some parents make about this , wheres the innocence gone in it ? fake tan , nail extensions ,limos :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

HI OP I have communion in may. The best place ever has got to be The Sisters in Tallaght village. Ive said since my daughter was born thats where i'd get her dress. She imports stuff from Italy and France some gorous stuff! I know it's a fair distance from you but it would be worth it.

In terms of time I asked a few boutiques before xmas and they said they don't start selling until the new yr so dont think it'll be that bad. As for the limos and stuff she can get lost not a hope...it's a communion not a wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

what a big fat deal some parents make about this , wheres the innocence gone in it ? fake tan , nail extensions ,limos :mad:

Fake tan.....that's just so the mother doesn't look quite as un-natural and orange when they pose together for photos! :D
    Ridiculous!

Debenham's or one of the big department stores maybe?

Borrow one from an older cousin or neighbour? It's only going to be worn for a couple of hours on the one day. I wore the same dress as my mother and aunts had in their day. Granny had made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi
    I am presuming you are from Swords?
    hy dont you try Protocol in Drogheda, They have some lovely stuff in...
    They have a lovely display as well not to squashed and are very good with the girls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KerriGrecco

Absolutely! Go to The Perfect Pear at www.PerfectDresses.com - I've never seen so many styles and they have sizes for everybody. :)Everything I looked at was available by April - earlier really. My only problem is picking one and then deciding which headpiece goes best with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swordsgal27

Thanks all for the info , have heard about the sisters in tallaght so might venture out there the weekend , anyone any ideas on what to do on the day ?? visiting everyone i know doesnt appeal to me , feels like begging , i know i hated it ,i only enjoyed the church with all my friends ,and the next day opening my post office account ;),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Have people come to you! Have something in your house.

I'm not sure what to do for the day either was thinking a barbie out the back with family and friends when we were young we weren't brought around don't think I fancy bringing her around either!

might sound stupid but do they still do the umbrella, gloves etc. thing?

ps heard meath st has some beauties in gonna take a peep there myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KerriGrecco

When you say ballgown - do you mean a Communion dress or a ballgown for a teen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I got mine in Alexanders across from Cineworld in Parnell Street years ago. Meath St has some lovely ones, seen a girl trying on a lovely dress there two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi ya, I m selling my daughters one.For €40.To be honest you can spend 100 of Euro on ad ress its mad.Looking back its such a wate.I recommend having friends call to your house, bouncy castle for the kids , wine and finger food.Much nicer.
    HTH, pm me if you want to see pics of the dress,
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

last year i travelled to Dublin for my husbands nieces' communion. Wow, what a dress, parasol etc etc, the whole lot cost al small fortune. I was truly stunned. Not like that around here. I asked my sister in law to put it away for my daughter ;), always thinking ahead.

I'm wondering if there is any one family/friend you could borrow one off? All the lovely communion dresses left on hangers in peoples houses. Such a waste imo. I know you want your daughter to have the best, but often the best need not cost the earth. I would make a few enquiries if i were you, sisters, close friends, family friends. It's such an expensive occasion and i know the dress is only the tip of the ice berg, but every little helps!

Best of luck and i hope we get to find out all the details when you get sorted!

Hey all
    I found the most fab dress ,just what i was lookin for but 7 weeks to arrive , dunno !!! should i take the chance ??? its actually a flower girl dress dunno what the diff is anyway ! its a designer called jordan the sweet beginnings range Style L408 , Help , i lovvvvve it but communion mid april ,pushing it a bit , wandered into TOMMYS today had a look at there dresses and OMG even my daughter laughed at a few never knew bows pearls lace diamontes and glitter (yes glitter!) could fit on one little dress :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

For anyone on a budget, I got one in Adams for e29. (Its last years stock - this years are around 50-60) Its lovely, they have a little bolero cardigan aswell for a fiver(!) although I'm getting a little satin shawl made to go with it, and with all the other extras, imo, its quite enough to spend.

My own dress was handed down from cousin to cousin, those were the days! (Untill my Mum got it and it came out blue in the wash!)

wow sueme you did really well! Wouldnt like to say how much I spent .. far more than I could afford anyway I did check adams hoping to get something were none. I couldnt get over the price of the accesories nearly as dear as the dresses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nayrttocs

Hi All,

I have dealt the these guys and they are great, really helpful. The are based in Dublin but travel around the counties as well.

www.aandmdresses.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hiya Swordsgal, I work in the kidswear dept of a dept store in dublin and i can tell ya that mid to late jan is by no means "pushing it" I would advise to you to have some solid ideas re it by now though! Unless you're child is particularly petite or particularly tall you should still be able to find something special for your ickle one!!

Also,with regards to the whole fake tan/false nails/make up thing for 8 year olds; Yes this does exist but whatever parents who actually do this to their kid should be hauled up for abuse IMO. It is NOT commonplace so don't worry about your little girl being the odd one out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

anyone any ideas on what to do on the day ?? visiting everyone i know doesnt appeal to me , feels like begging , i know i hated it ,i only enjoyed the church with all my friends ,and the next day opening my post office account ;),

We always went out to lunch with the grandparents on the day - after all the stress you'll be ready to have a meal handed to you - then had a buffet in the house the next day. That way you can have the extended family and friends in, and your daughter will feel she's had a party too.

Hiya , got the dress !! delighted with it even tho she picked it herself !! decided to go into town and first shop i went into i picked 3 out and second one she tried was the one ! she wouldnt even look at another one cost me €220 which i believe is the norm , no accesories as yet plenty of time for that anyway thank for the replies , still havne no idea what to do on the day , april showers and all that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DQBridal

Hi
    How about having a dress made, perfect fit everytime and guaranteed original, none of this cheap (uhm ??) made in China 1 of 100 sold as "original" rip offs. If your seamstress is half good she can also make the dress to be worn again after the day is over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DQBridal

Hi
    How about having a dress made, perfect fit everytime and guaranted original, none of this cheap (uhm ??) made in China 1 of 100 sold as "original" rip offs. If your seamstress is half good she can also make the dress to be worn again after the day is over.

Advertisement