Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Holmes

Options
  • 16-01-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Whatever happend to him? I heard he played in Dublin recently but id be vary wary of going to see him now as he plays all that weird abstract film soundtrack sh*t.

At one point from about 93 to 98 i can remember he was at the top of his profession as a Techno DJ and Irish as well,Johnny Moy used to be good mates with him from what i can remember, indeed one of the best ever Techno sets ive ever heard (i don't say that lightly either having seen most known Techno DJ's over the years) was from David Holmes at the amazing Eurodance in Dublin in 1996 (i think it was 96 it might be 95 the auld memory is a bit hazy), what an amazing nite that was id love to get a recording of that.

So why did David Holmes drastically change his style so much is it because he earns more money doing what he does now or just got tired of Techno?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

maybe he just prefers what hes doing now?

im sure theres far more money in gigging 4 nights a week playing techno

fair play to holmes hes matured a hell of a lot musically and is doing some really interesting stuff, far more interesting than hed be doing had he stuck to the techno anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭francois

He always had a pretty wide and varied music taste anyway, he started off as a northern soul DJ, I think he just got bored with techno

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah he was defo one of the best techno DJ's back then, had some amazing mix tapes which I have long since lost :(

His essential mix when his direction changed is amazing though...

http://www.discogs.com/release/70904

Still play this a fair bit, excellent mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Helix wrote: »
    maybe he just prefers what hes doing now?

im sure theres far more money in gigging 4 nights a week playing techno

fair play to holmes hes matured a hell of a lot musically and is doing some really interesting stuff, far more interesting than hed be doing had he stuck to the techno anyway

Id actually say he'd make more money making music for films in USA then he would DJ;ing, he was a never a superstar DJ so couldn't command mega money,sure he'd have made a good living but he wouldn't be gigging 4 nites a week 2 max id say,sometimes only 1?

He should've stuck to what he was best at, sure peoples styles can change over the years but the stuff he's doing now is way different and i wouldn't be into at all, everyone to their own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Saw him numerous times back in the 90's and chatted to him and his mates in Temple of Sound one night (one even gave us a little something to liven up the evening).

Jesus could the chap could work a crowd, he had the place going mental. Finishing the night of with his remix of "Smokebelch". Magic.

He's gone off on a tangent but you can't but admire the guys musical talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jonny68 wrote: »
    He should've stuck to what he was best at

hes doing what hes best at right now imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

from David Holmes at the amazing Eurodance in Dublin in 1996 (i think it was 96 it might be 95 the auld memory is a bit hazy), what an amazing nite that was id love to get a recording of that.
    always stick to my word johnny :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54910464#post54910464

derra wrote: »

excellent cheers man:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I got to see him in the Red Box and some other place off Thomas Street (?) sometime in the 1990's. Before he got on the decks he would float around the club and pick up on the vibe. He could seriously lift the roof off the place particularly when he brought the volume down, got the crowd going crazy and then slam it up full tilt. His musical influences are many and varied, from punk, new wave, classical and everything in between.

dSTAR wrote: »
    I got to see him in the Red Box and some other place off Thomas Street (?) sometime in the 1990's. Before he got on the decks he would float around the club and pick up on the vibe. He could seriously lift the roof off the place particularly when he brought the volume down, got the crowd going crazy and then slam it up full tilt. His musical influences are many and varied, from punk, new wave, classical and everything in between.

That would've been the Tivoli, i didn't catch him there myself but seen him in the Red Box and Temple Of Sound back in the 1990's, i actually recall someone interviewing him and he said he used to be a hairdresser and one time took acid before going to work, can you imagine getting your haircut off someone like that :D:D:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

That would've been the Tivoli, i didn't catch him there myself but seen him in the Red Box and Temple Of Sound back in the 1990's, i actually recall someone interviewing him and he said he used to be a hairdresser and one time took acid before going to work, can you imagine getting your haircut off someone like that :D:D:eek:
    Thats the one. Must have been the fact that I entered the venue via some dark alleyway on Thomas Street which gave the whole thing an illegal rave kinda joint. Afterwards we repaired back to my top floor apartment on Exchequer Street (above what was then the Wed Wose Cafe) to get even more candy caned and spin some more vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

He was booked to play Cork a few times,but he only played the once he cancelled the other gigs and was never booked again because the promotors were pissed off with him.I got his autograph on the track he did with yer one Sarah Cracknall.

Advertisement