Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fur farms (incl link to graphic vid - warning)

Options
  • 16-01-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'll try to be v short with this and just post up one or two links. If i start typing properly, I could be here for hours!

saw this vid the other day: (warning, it's v graphic. usually i think vids can be a bit ott or "hollywood hype", but this vid was carried out by undercover people and it shows what was / is happening in China fur farms & mkts).

~Mod edit: prohibited links removed~

I felt physically sick watching this and could barely keep wathcing til the end.
    This stuff happens. I lived in China myself for a year in 2006, but I won't go into all that now and what I saw (incl skins for sale of beautiful german shepherd dogs etc.)

What can we do??
    Here's the link to Swiss Animal Protection who I believe were the main party involved in the undercover work.
    They have an e-mail set up that you can mail to the Ministry of Agriculture of People's Republic of China.
    http://www.animal-protection.net/furtrade/chinafur.html

Also, recommended is to write a letter to your local Chinese embassy. I've done this, address being Attn Ambassador Liu Biwei, Chinese Embassy, 40 Ailesbury Rd, Dublin 4. If you do this, remember to write a very nice letter and request politely that something be done, and how great China is, and can become. Esp coming up to the Olympics. No point in abusing the man or sending in a rant.

Sometimes e-mail campaigns can work. www.animalsasia.org (http://www.animalsasia.org/index.php?module=6&menupos=3&lg=en)
    managed to stop the Shanghai Animal Olympics in 06 through e-mail and other work.

So send letters and e-mails!!!

Continuing the fur trend, closer to home, within Ireland, there are 6 fur farms.

Read all here Compassion in World Farming Ireland: http://www.ciwf.ie/campaigns/campaign_fur.html

A bill to ban fur farming in Ireland wasnt passed in 2005. Proposed by the Greens - now that they're in Govt, worth writing them a letter (details on link) along with a letter to Mary Coughlan, Minister for Agri (who was one of the ones who rejected the bill in 2005 for whatever odd reason). Again details on link.
    If you write to ministers or td's, they personally may not get the letter, but someone has to reply and look into it for you and give an update. If enough people write letters, something may be done.

While about 80% of world fur comes from China, and within China mostly from these horrific fur farms, something needs to be done. But lets also not forget our own doorstep, while on a much smaller level, we may have a better chance of making a change here than in China.
    But don't think one person can't make a change, and dont ignore the cruelty and the facts. Do something, anything. Make a donation.

I've a list of lots of very good animal welfare websites if anyone wants me to post them up, but I found them all through google and links from other sites. There's some good info out there and good causes. Do something. Donate, send an e-mail, write a letter. 3 extremely easy things to do without having to leave your desk.

Thanks a mill for your time. And this was my "short" post!! I knew I'd blabber on for too long!

Very sincerely,

Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

oh my god... I can barely find the words to speak.
    I am totally and utterly disgusted,i found it hard not to cry watching that video,it truely has to be the worst thing ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The best thing you can do is not to buy fur, in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I wont even look because I will cry, remember a while ago pictures in a daily newspaper of hundreds of cats crammed into a crate suitable for a medium dog? I cried for ages after seeing that. Their animal welfare is terrible.

This is a great thread starter, if people would take the time to write etc it might make a difference. I have not done anything yet but your post has pushed me to think about what I can do.

The fact that BT's has stopped selling fur is a big step forward I think, TBH I cant think of any shop that sells fur now. Are there any you can think of? Might be worth contacting the bigger ones telling them you wont shop there until fur is taken off their shelves?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I many times dont have alot of time for videos of animal slaughter that are released to ne a sensationalist and are generally unbjective, typical example being the slaughter of cattle and sheep.Ive seen this done and do not consider it unecessarly cruel.

HOWEVER, i watched half this video and am disgusted by what ive seen, i cant understand why the animals are not killed first? What sort of f**king monkeys are these "people" that they cant do a more humaine method? How f**king hard is ot to kill the animal properly before they skin it.

That is a very informative video, it just shows the stupidity of people. There is no possible way that anyone could condone that activity at all.

As a person that has the belief that animals are there for human consumption etc, i cannot condone or even watch that video fully with out getting annoyed, simply because of the cruelty involved in siknning an animal alive.

I wont even look because I will cry, ?

Dont watch it.

These animals are essentially "dogs" that are being skined, ive a pretty tough constitution but found it difficult to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

I know, vid is unbelieveable. It just gets worse as you watch til the end. From my year in China, I saw some bad stuff (nothing like that thank god, or I'd be up on murder charges). I saw this vid last week for first time, and then had to go into a meeting straight after watching it. Had to really compose myself.

Anyway, lets try to be active instead of closing our eyes to this (I've done this for far too long, but since my China experience I've been more active, and now since this vid, I'm determined to try to help these poor animals).

In short, we can split this into two parts: China / Intl (China being the biggest fur country and with no animal welfare laws) and Ireland (cos its where we live). Check out websites etc.

~Mod edit: Links to the ALF removed~

Think we can def do something in ireland.
    China though sickens me with the stuff they do. Tiger fur farms also (search it) etc etc. But theres one massive market in one of the province's in China (I think where that vid was taken but cant remember for sure now) which contributes about 80% of the total China fur. Imagine what that place is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm not going to look at the video because I know it'll be too upsetting but could someone give a brief summary of what happens in it, so I can make reference in the letter I'm writing?

(And please spare my sensitive nature when describing it :D, just the bare minimum in details please!)

I take it animals are being skinned alive in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

MsF you are better not looking FFS. What a world we live in.
    Fur looks better on live animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Shocking video. It turned my stomach.

Is the action you propose on including farmed fur animals like those in Denmark?

Or is it the soley fur of animals that are endangered and or tortured when been killed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Jesus. I had to stop the video. Don't feel to good now.

There is something wrong with the people, they are belting the heads off the animals, so not worried about damaging the hide on their heads, yet they won't kill them first. There has to be some sort of frontal lobe problem there.

MsFifers wrote: »
    I'm not going to look at the video because I know it'll be too upsetting but could someone give a brief summary of what happens in it, so I can make reference in the letter I'm writing?

(And please spare my sensitive nature when describing it :D, just the bare minimum in details please!)

I take it animals are being skinned alive in it?

Hi, see link below - its a good summary of things as reported in a newspaper.
    Hopefully not too detailed for you but gives you the blunt facts if you're writing a letter. :)

Extract: "Slaughtering the Fur Animals in China

The animals are immobilized by being stunned with repeated blows to the head, or by being slammed on the ground. The animals are injured and may convulse, tremble or attempt to crawl away, says the SAP report—this is also shown repeatedly in the video. The skinning may begin while the animal is conscious or regaining consciousness.

"Desperate and writhing in agony, animals conscious during these procedures hopelessly try to defend themselves even to the point where all the skin had been forced off …breathing, heart beat…and eyelid movements were evident for 5 to 10 minutes," describes the SAP report of the video and photos.

The group is also appalled at the frequent use of domestic dog and cat fur. Although against U.S. law, a loophole in customs law and mislabeling permits their use in the U.S., they say. Fur items priced at less than US$150 are not checked by Customs for truthful labeling upon entry. The group contends that unsuspecting customers are purchasing items with dog and cat fur. They claim that even Burlington Coat Factory, Macy's, JC Penny, Nordstrom, Saks and Barneys are selling dog fur as the fur from another species or even labeled as "faux fur."

End of Extract.
    Best bet is to read the full article, its a good one and informative.

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-2-21/51905.html

snyper wrote: »
    Is the action you propose on including farmed fur animals like those in Denmark?

Or is it the soley fur of animals that are endangered and or tortured when been killed?

Hi Snyper,

Sorry have to run now. Will reply to you in morn, as I seem incapable of short replies these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Not that it makes any difference but what are the animals in the video? I don't really want to watch it.

And as someone esle mentioned why (If they HAVE to farm fur at all) do they not kill the animal first? I don't understand that?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Not that it makes any difference but what are the animals in the video? I don't really want to watch it.

And as someone esle mentioned why (If they HAVE to farm fur at all) do they not kill the animal first? I don't understand that?:(

Here in the Republic they gas the mink and electrocute the foxes to kill them before they are skinned. Unlike a normal abbatoir where farm animals are slaughtered for meat, on a fur farm animals are slaughtered on the farm itself, there are no vets, and the animals are not stunned and then bled out (I suppose they can't bleed them to preserve the fur). The gassing of mink is problematic because mink are semi-aquatic. The way the animals are housed on fur farms here does not meet many of their needs either.
    http://www.ciwf.ie/farminfo/farmfacts_fur.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TKD SC wrote: »
    I know, vid is unbelieveable. It just gets worse as you watch til the end. From my year in China, I saw some bad stuff (nothing like that thank god, or I'd be up on murder charges). I saw this vid last week for first time, and then had to go into a meeting straight after watching it. Had to really compose myself.

Anyway, lets try to be active instead of closing our eyes to this (I've done this for far too long, but since my China experience I've been more active, and now since this vid, I'm determined to try to help these poor animals).

In short, we can split this into two parts: China / Intl (China being the biggest fur country and with no animal welfare laws) and Ireland (cos its where we live). Check out websites etc.

~Mod edit: Links to the ALF removed~

Think we can def do something in ireland.
    China though sickens me with the stuff they do. Tiger fur farms also (search it) etc etc. But theres one massive market in one of the province's in China (I think where that vid was taken but cant remember for sure now) which contributes about 80% of the total China fur. Imagine what that place is like.
    I have removed links that link to the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). The ALF are nothing more than a terrorist organisation and linking to them is prohibted by the forum charter.
    The ALF directly name shops in Ireland, their managers & telephone No's direct to the store & promotes the use of criminal damage to these premises & incites a hatred/intimidation to the staff/managers/employees to the stated stores within the links. It is illegal to facilitate terrorists in any way and boards.ie does not want to be seen to be linking to or promoting terrorism.

There shall be no more linking to such organisations. Any violation will result in an instant perm ban from this forum and at the admins discretion from boards.ie as a whole.

If you are opposed to fur, write to shops that sell fur, boycott them. Protest against them in a peaceful and legal manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have removed links that link to the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). The ALF are nothing more than a terrorist organisation and linking to them is prohibted by the forum charter.
    The ALF directly name shops in Ireland, their managers & telephone No's direct to the store & promotes the use of criminal damage to these premises & incites a hatred/intimidation to the staff/managers/employees to the stated stores within the links. It is illegal to facilitate terrorists in any way and boards.ie does not want to be seen to be linking to or promoting terrorism.

There shall be no more linking to such organisations. Any violation will result in an instant perm ban from this forum and at the admins discretion from boards.ie as a whole.

If you are opposed to fur, write to shops that sell fur, boycott them. Protest against them in a peaceful and legal manner.

Pfft! Petrol bombs work better than bureaucracy. I wonder how hard it would be to get too some of these Chinese fur traders?

Pfft! Petrol bombs work better than bureaucracy. I wonder how hard it would be to get too some of these Chinese fur traders?
    Banned for breach of forum charter.

Bond-007 wrote: »

Sorry if that happened. Didnt think I had linked them. I thought I'd linked two other websites (I wont mention them again in case!), that were legit and nothing to do with ALF. The ones I linked certainly werent called ALF anyway, and I'm pretty sure they were just animal welfare groups totally seperate to ALF. Maybe there were further links in those websites or something. If so, I must have missed them. I've no interest in ALF type activities and very anti them in fact. Think its the totally wrong way to go about things. The most benefit is through getting laws changed that outlaw this cruelty or indeed to try to introduce new laws to places like China which have no animal welfare laws at all. Anvil (animal need a voice in legislation) seems a decent website.

Anyway, lets not get distracted from the issue at hand and hopefully some people here have been motivated to write to the minister or their local tds or checking out international websites re anti fur and send e-mails / donations etc.

Tks,

Simon

snyper wrote: »

I've no real action plan! Suppose, decide yourself what you think and what deserves your efforts. Until you mentioned Denmark, tbh, I didnt know the extent of the mink farming there (check it on wiki!). Good to get more knowledge! Thanks. I'm sure as hell no expert! My main two animal websites and ~Mod edit: links to prohibited sites removed again~

personally, I'd like to see an end to all fur, so yes that would include denmark ones.
    Not solely for endangered or tortured. But tbh, that does get to me more, like in seeing that vid of needless torture. I just despise such brutal torture like that to innocent animals, so that would be prob my no.1. Also, hate seeing endangered animals being hunted to extinction or near extinction. All for money. In a lot of cases re whaling etc., i think people actually made more money by doing tourist boat trips out to see the whales than in hunting them. There's the brutal killing of the baby seals each year for their fur, there's whaling loopholes that Norway exploits, there's China tiger farms which are a disgrace, and theres the fur farms and markets like per the video on this thread. Take your pick. Its hard to do everything or anything sometimes. But try to do one thing even. Even just once a month do one thing. That's my philosophy.

Cheers,

Simon

• Advertisement

Banned for linking to sites prohibited by charter.

Advertisement