Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two IP addresses to keep to myself

Options
  • 16-01-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Networking Gurus,

I may sound a little crazy, but believe me this is my requirement.

I need two IP address to two interfaces on two different devices to commmunicate, which are not commonly used either in private or public address space. Can you suggest any such two addresses?

Can I use the reserved Class E addresses for this?

Cheers,
    TheHegdes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

thehegdes wrote: »

Depends on the TCP/IP stack, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work.

Surely there can't be a reason why you can't use a /30 subnet in a private address range?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi Networking Gurus,

I may sound a little crazy, but believe me this is my requirement.

I need two IP address to two interfaces on two different devices to commmunicate, which are not commonly used either in private or public address space. Can you suggest any such two addresses?

Cheers,
    TheHegdes

172.16.*.* to 172.32.*.* are private addresses that are rarely used.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thehegdes

Yeah, but they can still be used right?

I need two IP addreses (if possible) to communicate between 2 devices all the time irrespective of what the user configures for his LAN machines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah, but they can still be used right?

I need two IP addreses (if possible) to communicate between 2 devices all the time irrespective of what the user configures for his LAN machines.

Yes, they're still available for use. Why not use SMB/Netbios names instead then, and let them be resolved to IPs?

Sorry Spear, I do not understand what you are saying. Can you explain please..

• Advertisement

Sorry Spear, I do not understand what you are saying. Can you explain please..

Use machine names and allow the local machines to resolve them to IP's, rather than rely on hardcoded IP's.

Hmm.. is this still possible if the LAN interface (for which the addresses are served by a DHCP server) and the other interface (which I'm saying needs a unique ip - the IP may be static or may be served by another DHCP server)

Hmm.. is this still possible if the LAN interface (for which the addresses are served by a DHCP server) and the other interface (which I'm saying needs a unique ip - the IP may be static or may be served by another DHCP server)

I need to clarify what you're attempting to do. Is the traffic meant to be over a LAN only, or does it need to transit the net as well?

ok.. what I exactly need is this..

Internet/WAN <
    > [(public IP) DSL Modem (unique IP)] <
    > [(unique IP) Hub (private IP)] <
    > [(private IP's) LAN]

I want 2 unique IP addresses which I can use all the time to communicate between DSL Modem and Hub without restricting the HUB user to use desired IP address ranges on the LAN

Hope this explains my requirement.. let me know if you need more info

Thanks!

I want 2 unique IP addresses which I can use all the time to communicate between DSL Modem and Hub without restricting the HUB user to use desired IP address ranges on the LAN

Hope this explains my requirement.. let me know if you need more info

Thanks!

If the hub runs DHCP this should be easy enough to arrange.

• Advertisement

HUB runs DHCP only on the LAN side. On the other side, its a DHCP client and the address is served by the DSL modem.

HUB runs DHCP only on the LAN side. On the other side, its a DHCP client and the address is served by the DSL modem.

Then statically assign two IP's of choice from a private address range to the DSL modem and hub side that faces it. Set DHCP on the hub so that it excludes the addresses used previously. Hence no machines on the LAN side will get those addresses and no clashes should occur.

Yeah.. this is the last resort. But, we did not want to do this. So you say there is no other way of doing this?

Yeah.. this is the last resort. But, we did not want to do this. So you say there is no other way of doing this?

The LAN addresses and the static ones can be from two different ranges if that helps. If nothing else the modem and hub should have their own netbios names. Regardless of what IP's they have they should be resolvable.

Say choosing from two different ranges option is ruled out. So, what is the other option you are suggesting... netbios?? I do not know anything about this... I will look up the web on this. In the mean while, can you give me some hint please?

Thanks!

Say choosing from two different ranges option is ruled out. So, what is the other option you are suggesting... netbios?? I do not know anything about this... I will look up the web on this. In the mean while, can you give me some hint please?

Thanks!

A machines hostname can be resolved to an IP as well, this will allow the names to resolved to dynamically allocated IP's, since the names will be set statically.

ok... but this has to be supported on what both the DSL modem and the Hub? So, there will be a netbios server running on DSL Modem and a client on the Hub?

How is this different from DNS?

Thanks!

ok... but this has to be supported on what both the DSL modem and the Hub? So, there will be a netbios server running on DSL Modem and a client on the Hub?

How is this different from DNS?

Thanks!

Not a Netbios/SMB server, there's no need for one. Probably best to forget the mention of netbios it'll only confuse things as netbios name and hostname aren't quite the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBIOS

The DSL modem and hub will probably have TCP/IP hostnames which can be used. If you're running a DNS server it's probably registered these names.

ok.. thanks Spears.. I'll check this out!

In the mean while, if you have some brainwave, please let me know.

Cheers!

ok.. thanks Spears.. I'll check this out!

In the mean while, if you have some brainwave, please let me know.

Cheers!

I still don't see what's wrong with the earlier suggestion about changing the DHCP range. It seems the easiest option and keeps everything easily managed.

• Advertisement

I agree. We might eventually end up doing this :)

Thanks for all your inputs; really appreciate your help

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just wondering why Spear's suggestion regarding the DHCP is a last offer? - I can't think of anything more straight forward than it and you only loose two IP's ?

Advertisement