Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edmonton woman violently raped played dead to stay alive: court

• 16-01-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=cp_n011171A.xml&show_article=1

Edmonton woman violently raped played dead to stay alive: court
    EDMONTON - Lying bloodied and nearly naked on the floor of her downtown condo, the 29-year-old woman had one option left.

She'd just been raped in her bedroom, hacked and slashed in the face, head, hands and neck with a butcher blade until her mattress and pillows were slick with blood and the white bones of her pinky finger were exposed, in her words, like a split "chicken wing."

A violently angry, mixed-up teen loomed over her and was going to kill her, because he had a $10,000 bet that he would, she told Court of Queen's Bench on Friday.

So she played dead in the pre-dawn darkness. Lay motionless. Stared straight up at him, her eyes wide open. She dared not breathe.

He stared right back, silently weighing whether his work was finally done.

The woman, who can't be named, was testifying at the trial of Ryan Huppie, 23, who faces a charge of attempted murder and related counts of sex assault in the Feb. 17, 2004, attack on the woman, who was his next-door neighbour at the time.

Huppie is not challenging that he committed the crime, but has pleaded not guilty on the grounds he was suffering from a mental disorder and wasn't criminally responsible.

The woman, now 33, told court she was a school vice-principal, active socially and athletically, with the "the world by the tail," when Huppie and five other youths moved into the condo next to her almost four years ago.

Days before the attack, a valentine asking her out and calling her a "hot babe" had been slipped under her door. The note would eventually yield a Huppie thumbprint.

The night before she was attacked, she told court, there had been loud music until almost 4:30 a.m. from the accused's place. She finally nodded off only to awake to find a figure at the foot of her bed with a meat cleaver and a long jagged knife.

He put a blade to her throat and told her, "I'm here to rape you and I'm here to kill you."

"I was in shock," she testified. "I couldn't believe this was happening in my bedroom.

"He said it was a $10,000 bet and that if he didn't (kill me), they would kill him."

The woman, who had worked with troubled youth, said persuasion was the only tool she had, and she tried to use it.

She told him she had a sexually transmitted disease, called him by the pseudonym on the valentine to build a bond and talked endlessly to him, trying to get him to see her as a person.

She promised to keep him free from harm and take him away to Vancouver - convincing him to the point he let her get dressed so they could leave. All the while she was manoeuvring him into what little light was bleeding through the window from the street below.

"I wanted to look him in the eye and see who this guy was."

Persuasion failed, however, and he eventually forced himself on her. It was then, she knew, that the end was near - and the fight was on.

"I co-operated on the rape," she said. "But I wasn't going to give him a body."

They struggled and thrashed. He smashed her head into the closet and began relentlessly pounding her skull with something blunt until she faked being dead.

He left and she called 911 to beg for help, only to have him return in a fury, beating and slashing anew, her hands hacked and mangled as she tried to save herself.

She bent her chin low to keep him from slashing her throat, steeling herself for the telltale spurt and gurgle of an opened artery.

She played dead again, she told court.

"I just lay there with my eyes wide open and I stared at him and he stared right back. You could see him thinking, 'Finally, she's dead."'

But the ordeal continued.

He left. She called 911 again, now with hands so shredded she could hardly hold the phone.

She tried to leave through her front door only to have Huppie return a third time, this time through the open patio door.

She tearfully compared the scene to a macabre Hollywood slasher movie. "It's like trying to get through that locked door before he gets to you."

She stumbled into the hallway and into the home of a neighbour. Police arrived. In hospital, she listened as they stapled her lacerated skull back together. She identified Huppie in a picture from her hospital bed.

Huppie's mother testified earlier in the day that her son arrived at her place later to tell her, "Mom, I think I've done something wrong."

Suzanne Huppie said she then saw her son's face flashed on the TV news and she took him to police.

The victim testified she has undergone therapy similar to what soldiers receive for post-traumatic stress disorder and is working hard "to lead a normal life once again."

But she can't go running alone in Edmonton's river valley and when she goes out she has friends pick her up and take her home. "There's no alone time."

Throughout her testimony, Huppie did not look at her.

She looked at him, once, when Crown prosecutor Robert Beck asked her to point out her attacker.

"Absolutely," she said, jabbing her finger towards Huppie. "Right there."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Faker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Eh, of course he was suffering from a mental disorder.

He was raping someone and trying to kill them........ i imagine that should be consider as a being a departure from normative behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

"Mom, I think I've done something wrong."

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

"A violently angry, mixed-up teen loomed over her and was going to kill her

that pisses me off no end right there. I knew from reading that there was gonna be a bullshít claim for mental health grounds when it came to court. sickening

when is america gonna start dealing with these sick individuals they are breeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

The poor boy probably got turned down by a pretty girl.
    Or maybe his PS3 stopped working one day.

I wonder how, if there is a God, he can be so cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

Dragan wrote: »
    Eh, of course he was suffering from a mental disorder.

He was raping someone and trying to kill them........ i imagine that should be consider as a being a departure from normative behaviour.

If you consider sadism or sociopathic behaviour mental disorders then every serial killer should be taken off deathrow in the states and placed in mental institutions.

The guy is filth, his crime is aggravated by the fact that money was the incentive, and as such he will prob be made serve life.

I'll save you the hastle mate -- there isn't one. It's a common query though.

http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

weemcd wrote: »
    when is america gonna start dealing with these sick individuals they are breeding

Edmonton is in Canada.

She sounds like a brave woman.

beanyb wrote: »
    Edmonton is in Canada.

LOL... that makes weemcd's hysterical comment all the more... hysterical :)

Also when you recall that in Ireland recently, a man intentionally set fire to his house, killing himself, his wife, and his 5 children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i wonder did Huppie listen to marilyn manson - he is usually behind all these attacks and murders. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

It always annoys me when people say this about recent events. Is it breaking news to you that awful things happen and that some people are capable of terrible cruelty and disregard for life? Didn't you ever hear of the holocaust? Or how about thinking about your own username - people have been crucifying their fellow man for thousands of years. There have been many books written throughout the ages on how to cause as much as possible while keeping the victim alive as long as possible. Is it really only now that you notice the dark side to humanity?

This is just another incident of someone acting in a horrendous, evil manner. Thankfully, the victim that he chose was extremely resourceful and determined (and probably lucky too), and thus she survived.

Wacker wrote: »
    It always annoys me when people say this about recent events. Is it breaking news to you that awful things happen and that some people are capable of terrible cruelty and disregard for life? Didn't you ever hear of the holocaust? Or how about thinking about your own username - people have been crucifying their fellow man for thousands of years. There have been many books written throughout the ages on how to cause as much as possible while keeping the victim alive as long as possible. Is it really only now that you notice the dark side to humanity?

This is just another incident of someone acting in a horrendous, evil manner. Thankfully, the victim that he chose was extremely resourceful and determined (and probably lucky too), and thus she survived.

Read my post again. I have a picture of the Chuckle Brothers under it. My name is Crazy Christ. Plus I suggested that it was cruel that he got turned down by girls. Well?

Read my post again. I have a picture of the Chuckle Brothers under it. My name is Crazy Christ. Plus I suggested that it was cruel that he got turned down by girls. Well?
    Ah. I see now what you mean. I interpreted your post sort of like you were being dismissive of his grievances, but being genuine with your dismay regarding God.
    Apologies!

Ah. I see now what you mean. I interpreted your post sort of like you were being dismissive of his grievances, but being genuine with your dismay regarding God.
    Apologies!

No bigs
    I'm with what you said, I can relate numsayin?
    I hope this dickweed gets an adequate punishment
    No excuses.
    Look what you did. You're sorry? Well Tough. From now on the only thing you will have to worry about is not bending over for the soap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Damn Huppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If that was my sister or relative that teen would be dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I really shouldn't have read that in work, feel sick. ****ing unbelievable what some filth is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

He should be excecuted :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Edmonton is in Canada.

Which is in the continent of America (North America if you're being picky), therefor weemcd you were right

Sorry back on topic, just wanted to point out a common misconception!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why?

Why did I need to know this? Is it not bad enough that the local media fills me in on all the local badness?

Thanks allot Crazy Christ you just ruined Tuesday and it was going so well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Calendars and maps needed today...

Calendars and maps needed today...
    Oh cool it's Wednesday.

So that's two days you've ruined Crazy Christ. Your some bastard! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

girliegirl wrote: »
    Which is in the continent of America (North America if you're being picky), therefor weemcd you were right

Sorry back on topic, just wanted to point out a common misconception!

If weemcd was referring to the continent, I'd be fairly shocked. Canada is a different country to that of the USA which is fairly commonly called 'America.' If you want to test this, call a Canadian American. See how they react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Damn Huppies.

lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Im sure it was an horrific ordeal but the article is written like a short story rather than a hard news article. You can see everything happening in your own head like a film.

I always like to think that people who go around doing things like this must have something wrong with their brain but the sad fact many know exactly what they are doing and enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

If weemcd was referring to the continent, I'd be fairly shocked. Canada is a different country to that of the USA which is fairly commonly called 'America.' If you want to test this, call a Canadian American. See how they react.

they don't take kindly to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mordeth wrote: »
    they don't take kindly to it :)

Stupid americans dont even know where they're from.

:)

ScumLord wrote: »
    Oh cool it's Wednesday.

So that's two days you've ruined Crazy Christ. Your some bastard! :mad:

I am sorry but you can't blame me. I'm a mixed up teen and it's everyone else's fault but my own.

How did I ruin two days though?

I'll give you Wednesday but sadly I can't accept responsibility for Tuesday.

Maybe in future when he thinks back on Tuesday, he'll feel rage knowing that the Wednesday you ruined followed it? You tell me, what are your memories of September 10th 2001. Not really comparable I know; what you did was far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On a similar note, also this week police in Indiana released a recording of a 911 call in which a woman had barricaded herself into her room and hid in a closet as a stalker was breaking down the door (and finally broke it down before the police got there)

http://www.nwi.com/extras/audio/011008_911audio.mp3

This one had a slightly different outcome, though. Even though you may guess how this is going to end, it's still a chilling recording.

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/01/10/news/lake_county/docc6e7d1ca7dcd2fee862573cc00081d1f.txt

NTM

Maybe in future when he thinks back on Tuesday, he'll feel rage knowing that the Wednesday you ruined followed it? You tell me, what are your memories of September 10th 2001. Not really comparable I know; what you did was far worse.

All i ever tried to do was to love.
    Maybe that was my one true flaw. Sometimes I just loved too much.
    I will say good day to you sir :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Fair point! I digress!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

On a similar note, also this week police in Indiana released a recording of a 911 call in which a woman had barricaded herself into her room and hid in a closet as a stalker was breaking down the door (and finally broke it down before the police got there)

http://www.nwi.com/extras/audio/011008_911audio.mp3

This one had a slightly different outcome, though. Even though you may guess how this is going to end, it's still a chilling recording.

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/01/10/news/lake_county/docc6e7d1ca7dcd2fee862573cc00081d1f.txt

NTM

I listened to it before reading the story. That is every woman's deepest nightmare

I am sorry but you can't blame me. I'm a mixed up teen and it's everyone else's fault but my own.

But I thought it was Tuesday and only found out it was Wednesday after the fact, so the mental anguish was doubled. My solicitor will be able to explain it much better. :D

Advertisement