Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Analysis Tool...pls help

Options
  • 16-01-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hello lads and ladies

Ehh, quick question

I'm looking for an easy to use data analysis tool, or method of doing data analysis.

Basically im doing a project, whereby i take the input of say...cinema attendane for each day of the week, and each films attendance. And then hopefully using averages etc can predict / forecast attendances for films and days the following week.

Does anyone have any idea or reccomendations as to how to go about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

matlab?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea or reccomendations as to how to go about this ?

Excel, or the Open Office equivalent, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

R?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Could be interesting...

Check out Naive Bayes classification.

Basically it you provide a classifier with training data, in the form of features (in your case: Day of week, attendance etc. but I would also try: Box office takings in the US, Type of film, Holiday: Yes or No, Rating, weather and everything else you can think of).

So you collect a lot of features like this, then use it to train your classifier. You can add or remove features that you find do not help the classification.

Once it has been trained, you then take your test data (in your case, next week's features) and use it to predict the attendance for future dates.

Lots of good info and algorithms, code on the web. Maybe too complicated for your needs but it's an interesting area and a good intro to machine learning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I've been using the open source reporting tools JasperReports and iDesigner, from JasperSoft, for a while now and find them great. I haven't used it but they also have a Business Intelligence suite that I think may offer you what you require. http://www.jaspersoft.com/
    If you did use it I would be very interested in hearing how the BI aspects worked out! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement