Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread & Butter Pudding

• 16-01-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Has anybody got a good recipe for the above?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

not offhand but raisins arent so nice so replace them w/ random berries or choc chips. mmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tree wrote: »
    not offhand but raisins arent so nice so replace them w/ random berries or choc chips. mmmmmmmmmm

+ 1 for the choc chips. Raisins are nasty.

I'd check the BBC food website. www.bbc.co.uk/food. They should have a few recipes seeming as bread and butter pudding is a big British dessert. Be careful though, i cooked a chocolate one from a website recipe before and it was nasty!

mmm bread and butter pudding, might make it soon myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get raisins and soak them in a little cold tea and liquor of some form (i.e. brandy). They should get nice and plump and juicy.

Get your bread and butter it. Use it to line an oven-proof dish. Scatter some raisins. Keep layering bread and raisins.

Mix some eggs, cream, and Baileys together. Add some grated nutmeg and sugar and mix well. Pour over the bread and butter allowing it to sink into all the crevices. Shake the dish gently to make sure it's distributed.

Sprinkle a little golden sugar on top and pop into the oven until the egg mixture is cooked and set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you cut the crusts off the bread? My mother has some weird butter phobia so I never tasted this. I never realised it was so easy, I think I'll give it a try tonight. I'm assuming it's ok to soak the raisins in rum? Mmmm rum and raisins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

it's your own personal preference whether you want to remove the crusts or not. You can also use brioche bread if you want to get all fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I tried this last night and it was gorgeous, the Bailey's gave it a lovely creamy richness. It could have been a bit sweeter but I'll know next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

watna wrote: »
    . Be careful though, i cooked a chocolate one from a website recipe before and it was nasty!

That wasn't from Deliaonline by any chance was it? Cos I had a similarly nasty experience with that, although in my case it was probably caused by ignoring the 'good quality bread' bit. Turned out very, very slimy, thank God for people being very polite and not mentioning the gick factor as they forced it back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Use bread that's a little stale (just leave it out for a few hours). Otherwise the bread stays elastic and holds it's shape, making it come out in stringy lumps. Stale bread gives it a cakey texture which comes apart better.
    I butter the bread (real butter) and layer it in a lightly oiled dish, alternating bread, raisins and custard, until the dish is near the brim. Stick it in the oven at about 150c. You can sprinkle some grated nutmeg on it before you put it in. It should take about 25min. A few minutes before you take it out, sprinle some brown sugar on it. It melts and starts to caramelise, making an extra sweet crust on top.

Advertisement