Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden pond leaking!!!!!

Options
  • 16-01-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi
    I'm in need of some good advice and fast!!! I have a garden pond with a flexible liner which has developed a rather fast leak!! My problem is I have 4 goldfish of about 3" to 4" inches in size an I don't want them to die! The pond is about 2.5 feet deep (when theres water in it that is) yesterday I filled it and today there is only 4-5 inches of water left! I also have a smaller rigid feeder pond above the main one but this is only 8-10 inches deep at the most in the deepest part.

To get to my point, is it ok to put the fish in the small pond or is it too small/ shallow, for a couple of days til I get the main pond sorted?
    Or should I put them in a bucket of water instead? These are my first fish and I really would like them to survive the first winter!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, put the fish into the smaller pond. As it's a feeder for the larger one you shoudn't have any issues with acidity etc.
    You will need to cover this smaller pond with some mesh as there are herons around - i've lost fish to them.
    Also, monitor the smaller pond and cover it completely if it's going to freeze. Don't put a sprinkler in it as it will cool the water too much.
    The fish won't be every active at this time of year, they will want to get back to the warm(er) depths of the larger pond ASAP, so bear this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

Thanks for the advice
    I was thinking about birds swiping them!
    What do you suggest to cover it with ? A sheet of plywood maybe or plastic sheeting?

Garden mesh from Woodies is what I use. Keep it 3" above the water surface to keep beaks out! Anything which allows some air to circulate would be suitable for a short period of time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

monvoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice
    I was thinking about birds swiping them!
    What do you suggest to cover it with ? A sheet of plywood maybe or plastic sheeting?

Chicken wire if you have it...but Id check the forecast and stick them in a bucket inside somewhere if its going to freeze, we had -4C last week...

Just as an aside, the water can freeze-over (first few inches) in the pond and the fish will still survive, it's only when the complete pond freezes solid that they die!
    Amazing creatures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, the water can freeze-over (first few inches) in the pond and the fish will still survive, it's only when the complete pond freezes solid that they die!
    Amazing creatures!

I guess though, that if it stays frozen for a while they will use up all the O2 and die? and (as Im sure you know!) the less water water the more likely it is to freeze

True :) but as they are in 'low power mode' they can last for a good period of time without the need for it to defrost. I'd guess it approx 2 days.

Advertisement