Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Keegan is back at Toon!

• 16-01-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just broken on fivelive!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

ya 10 mins ago he went down to 1.05 on betfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

On SSN now

Mad decision by Newcastle i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

An absolutely idiotic decision. Truly a comedy club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

These re-appointments never usually work out. Think Graham Taylor at Villa and Howard Kendall at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I would LOVE it if he was the new manager, LOVE it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

No mention yet of Shearer being involved (that would only be worse, IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The premierships total goals tally is about to go up 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

At least they wont have to worry about defending anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

they've also just tabled bids for Pavel Sirnicek, warren barton, phillipe albert and fausitino asprilla?! i'd say Fergie is ****ting it

past is the past newcastle, to go forward as a club, believe it or not, you need to actually go forward, not backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like Keegan, I wish him well. It'll be good fun to have him in the premiership again. I love the logic, he's done it once, he can do it again! I really hope he's given lots of money, it was always great to watch Newcastle, amazing going forward, terrible defending, and as such always great games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Shearer will most likely be involved. Newcastle are definitely trying to make up for Manchester having Coronation Street, Liverpool having Brookside and London having Eastenders, so they've created their own hilarious soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

One word = CRAZY.

:eek:

PS. When do they play Liverpool? 4-3 anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    they've also just tabled bids for Pavel Sirnicek, warren barton, phillipe albert and fausitino asprilla?! i'd say Fergie is ****ting it
    :D

I'd say 'pool fans can't wait for the 4-3s either.

Madness decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

As a huge fan, I dont know what to think..... It's like watching a horrible train wreck being a Newcastle fan, you just cant stop looking :D

I'm honestly gob-smacked..... Dunno if this is the rise, or fall of the club.

We will either be in The championship next season, or in the top 6.

I seriously think they are going to be relegated with this decision.

I like Keegan and i dont mind Newcastle but together now they just arent going to work. His style of football is long gone, its a totally different game even to when he was the City manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

As a huge fan, I dont know what to think..... It's like watching a horrible train wreck being a Newcastle fan, you just cant stop looking :D

I'm honestly gob-smacked..... Dunno if this is the rise, or fall of the club.

We will either be in The championship next season, or in the top 6.

top 6 of the championship!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

A serious step backwards.... As said already these re-appointments rarely work out.... Why re-hire someone to a job they've been fired from!? They should've gone all out for Deschamps or Houllier, something different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Shearer will most likely be involved. Newcastle are definitely trying to make up for Manchester having Coronation Street, Liverpool having Brookside and London having Eastenders, so they've created their own hilarious soap

lol ya its gonna be fun to watch!!
    4-3 here we come!
    i actually hope he does well....they deserve some success up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

prendy wrote: »
    they deserve some success up there.

no they dont

Killme00 wrote: »
    top 6 of the championship!!

14/1 to be relegated with Paddy Power if you are that confident they will implode...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/barclays-premiership/barclays-premiership/relegation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

prendy wrote: »
    they deserve some success up there.
    no team "deserves" success.

Success is earned, they haven't earned it.

This is shocking me. All the Newcastle fans are emailing in to SSN saying this is the best possible decision for the team, this is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Newcastle games might be good with his all out attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its like liverpool rehiring roy evans, we played better football and were closest to winning the league under him :D

still i like keegan, hope it works out, the bar code fans seemed to want him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i think it's a decent appointment. At least he can't make them any worse. And they'll be good to watch. You just know he'll play Martins, Owen, Duff and Milner in the same team, which Houllier or Allardyce never would have done, so they'll have plenty of goal threat.

Melion wrote: »
    This is shocking me. All the Newcastle fans are emailing in to SSN saying this is the best possible decision for the team, this is hilarious.

ROFL!

*Runs to check meaning of deluded in dictionary*

You just know he'll play Martins, Owen, Duff and Milner in the same team, which Houllier or Allardyce never would have done, so they'll have plenty of goal threat.

The only goal under threat will be Shay's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

bring back asprilla and ginola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Luv It!! :)

I think he'll bring back the attacking mindset, we may lose some games but at least they'll be entertaining. Those 4-3 Liverpool matches were great games!!

I began supporting the Toon the year they were promoted(when i started to watch football!), and all my fond memories were while he was manager, nothing has happened since, we can't get much worse so i'm glad to see him back. And he's a hero up north, and so he will be given some time to get the (disaster of a) team together into something good. Thats what we need, a bit of stability in the mangers office.

Also some entertaining post-game interviews :D

Cionád wrote: »
    Thats what we need, a bit of stability in the mangers office.

if keegans still newcastle manager at christmas ill be bloody amazed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Where's Kinaldo?

Running down the streets screaming about a return to glory days? :)

Helix wrote: »
    if keegans still newcastle manager at christmas ill be bloody amazed

The only way he'd possibly be gone at xmas is if we were in Derbys position. Which is not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i'm gobsmacked

a fine of example of heart ruling over heads

he has only been appointed purely for nostalgia and to keep the Newcastle fans dreaming of their by-gone era

i still wish him luck, he bloody needs it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

So it's back to lots of passion and no tactics then...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

theres something ridiculously monty python-esque about all of this.
    absolutely bloody ridiculous move by the board.
    why hire keegan, why not have given sam more time?? oh well at least there will be goals!

The only way he'd possibly be gone at xmas is if we were in Derbys position. Which is not going to happen.

I wouldnt be so sure

Oh dear jesus, they are lining up around the block to buy tickets for the match tonight.

This must be a joke. Do they really think he will turn this shambles around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Big Sam wasn't is Derby's position and he got the boot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

bring back asprilla and ginola.

nah, my favorite from his day was the 'attacking' centre back philippe albert :p

keegan only keeps his eyes on the oppositions half of the pitch any way

4/1 Stoke to win tonight.

Im having a piece of it

poor deluded soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comical!

wat about if ye are languishing in mid table in about 25 games? Not playing good football? will he not get the sack then?

or because he has a fondness for almost crying on national TV endear him to the toon "faithful"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jobonar wrote: »
    A serious step backwards.... As said already these re-appointments rarely work out.... Why re-hire someone to a job they've been fired from!? They should've gone all out for Deschamps or Houllier, something different

Keegan walked first time around.

I can't see him making as big an impact this time around. Back in the Premierships early years there was only really UTD at the summit, now there's 3 clubs.
    If Newcastle fans are expecting an assault on the title in the next few years I'm afraid they'll be crying into their scarves for a long time to come...qualification for Champions league any time in the next 4 years in todays climate would be an outstanding success.

I don't think Keegan can achieve it. Although I'm not of the opinion of most of you that it's a crazy decision - he's not quite yesterdays man yet(still only 56). He can definitely bring the club forward and on a steady footing again - just not to the promised land that Newcastle fans think they should achieve.

Big Sam wasn't is Derby's position and he got the boot?

What i mean is no-one wanted Big Sam in the first place, especially not the supporters. The supporters love Kev, and there is no chance they'd turn on him like (some) did with Big Sam, in such a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He turned 'that shambles' around last time, no reason he can't do it this time. And at least all-out attack means good football games, something Newcastle have not been involved in for the best part of a decade now.

Plus we were coming 2nd in the league and getting into Europe. Still weren't winning anything, but we weren't winning anything with style and excitement ;)

People forget that he had a career after Newcastle, and he couldn't do much for City, a similar sized club to Newcastle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement