Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Keegan is back at Toon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Nunu wrote: »
    If Newcastle fans are expecting an assault on the title in the next few years I'm afraid they'll be crying into their scarves for a long time to come.

The Newcastle fans will be expecting an assault on the title by May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is crazy, only a few months ago Keegan said he was never going to get back into Management and now he's getting a pension from Newcastle.

There is only one logic I can apply here, they wanted to give Shearer the job but thought he lacked expierence so they are bringing in Keegan who will appoint Shearer as his assistant and Shearer will take over in a season or two. One thing that flaws that logic is they could be in Championship by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

If Newcastle fans are expecting an assault on the title in the next few years I'm afraid they'll be crying into their scarves for a long time to come...qualification for Champions league any time in the next 4 years in todays climate would be an outstanding success.

I don't think anyone is expecting this. Top half of the table for a few years suits me just fine. He needs time & his reputation at Newcastle guarantees him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

just not to the promised land that Newcastle fans think they should achieve.

OK why does everyone think Newcastle fans think the team have a divine right to success? I'd love the team to succeed (just love it ;) ) but why don't you find me a fan who isn't some mong in the stands with his top off in December who actually thinks the club have an entitlement to success?

What many Newcastle fans would like to see is attacking football, played with style, and regular European football. I know the team probably won't win any trophies under Keegan, but Newcastle are not in the 'big 4' and probably won't be any time soon.

Four years ago no-one thought Chelsea should be winning trophies or had an entitlement to European football, times change in football folks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would just like to thank Mr. Ashley for this appointment, this has to be the most insane managerial appointment i've ever had the pleasure of living through, and i'm hugely excited at what might come next, we wont be able to predict what will happen but its going to be hugely entertaining!And end in a crash and burn! (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

bring back darren peacock and ruel fox

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Think this is a knee-jerk reaction by the club, he's 3 yrs out of management, he walked once and was'nt up for the pressure of England and this is really just to keep the fans happy. Ah well, all said another rollercoaster ride on for the toon faithfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I can't believe people are surprised by this, hello it's Newcastle, expect them to do the stupidest thing possible.
    I think sacking Sam was a mistake but how bad could Keegan be? He couldn't be any worse than Graham Souness or Glenn Roeder.

Well, at least supporting Newcastle there's never a dull moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Four years ago no-one thought Chelsea should be winning trophies or had an entitlement to European football, times change in football folks..

...except at Newcastle:D (sorry had to be done)

• Advertisement

...except at Newcastle:D (sorry had to be done)

Times have changed at Newcastle, I reckon.

Keegan got the team out of the then 2nd division, having taken over when they were in the relegation spots (he did a Roy Keane, you might say :) ) then had them finishing 2nd and 3rd in the Premiership each year.

Yes nary a trophy graced the cabinet, but the football was great, if tactically suicidal.

Contrast that to the Souness, Allardyce etc. times, where the team still can't defend, are still a mess tactically but now they can't score goals either and are horrific to watch. Oh and there's still nary a trophy to be seen.

I know which scenario I prefer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

is it just me or does Ashley just want the fans to love him? and is far too willing to follow their lead?

first wearing the newcastle jersey to each game, then moving to the stands when Sunderland wouldent let him in the corporate suite with it on, then the sacking of Allardyce and now finally Keegans return. I really would not be surprised to see as I suggested in the Allardyce sacked thread Shearer as Kev's No.2

...Newcastles funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ha Ha Ha.......the whole thing is hillarious! It's like getting back with your ex-girlfriend. It's never the same the 2nd time around. How can Mike Ashley be worth £1.9 billion? He must have some serious financial advisors over the last number of years. IMO he's a half-wit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Times have changed at Newcastle, I reckon.

Keegan got the team out of the then 2nd division, having taken over when they were in the relegation spots (he did a Roy Keane, you might say :) ) then had them finishing 2nd and 3rd in the Premiership each year.

Yes nary a trophy graced the cabinet, but the football was great, if tactically suicidal.

Contrast that to the Souness, Allardyce etc. times, where the team still can't defend, are still a mess tactically but now they can't score goals either and are horrific to watch. Oh and there's still nary a trophy to be seen.

I know which scenario I prefer.

Keegans brand of football is naieve to say the least.

It was even exposed in his time managing in the PL after he left Newcastle. (BTW he walked out on Newcastle and England cause couldnt take the pressure,surely that hardly inspires confidence?!)

The way the premier league is set up now, there is no way Newcastle will survive the next couple of years unless Ashley signed a few world class players.

The most important thing Newcastle fans need to remember is that the players they have now are nowhere near as good as keegans firtst spell there, and a lot of other clubs have far superior players than when keegan was first there.

i just think this is a daft daft appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a newcastle fan I don't know what to think. In some ways I know its not the most sensible move, but just watching those scenes at St. James the hairs on the back of my neck are standing.

The way I am inclined to look at it is, for the last 5 years we have languished at the lower half of the mid-table, playing unattractive football. Is Keegan capable of producing worst than this, unlikely and, given the squad and Ashley's wallet, there is the chance of real greatness.

Something I will say about Keegan is that, he had a great eye for a player at Newcastle, something which every manager since him (possibly not so Much Robson, but he his fair share of £6 million+ flops) has been woeful at. Also, his man management skills seem pretty good, he was the guy who gave Richie Dunne a clip around the ear, and helped him on his way to becoming the leader that he is today.

I'm heading over to see them play Arsenal in the league at the Emirates in two weeks, and the last few days I was wondering why, but, I know I sound deluded for saying this, there is great air of positivity around the club adn I am really looking forward to see us play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It is hard to believe that Kevin is back. How it works out no-one really knows at the moment. The new Owner (and fans) werent happy with Sam and yet another season of mid-table mediocrity, and they were right. Newcastle could and should do better than that. Whether Kevin can bring that back in the short term is hard to tell. I dont think we will see the same Keegan as we saw back in his 90's days at Newcastle, he should be more wise.

One thing is for sure, it opens up another chapter at Newcastle. Lets see where the club ends up next season before we make final judgements on the appointment. It is not a safe appointment, that's for sure, so it shows that the new Owner is willing to take a risk.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm really gobsmacked
    is it just me or does Ashley just want the fans to love him? and is far too willing to follow their lead?

Nail on the head I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so keegan is going to use his evidently wonderful managerial abilities to spend half a billion on a squad anyone could win with. s'pose that could make a difference alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Great news, hes such a fantastic guy, legend of the game.

Cant wait for the next game V liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Great news, takes the spotlight from Rafa for a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Guys, tune into radio newcastle! Its available on the bbc website.

Bloody brilliant stuff
    'The messiah has returned'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

He's not the messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Very happy with this news. :) Should make the premiership that bit more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

9 months of dismal results, fans turn on him, Keegan walks as the tough gets going.

Newcastle more predictable than Prison Break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's not the messiah.

He's a very naught boy

couldn't leave you hangin!

Tauren wrote: »
    so keegan is going to use his evidently wonderful managerial abilities to spend half a billion on a squad anyone could win with. s'pose that could make a difference alright

I sincerely hope he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hurrah the messiah returns (again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr Alan wrote: »
    past is the past newcastle, to go forward as a club, believe it or not, you need to actually go forward, not backwards.

What would a Liverpool fan know about going forward!? :p

Sideways ftw!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What would a Liverpool fan know about going forward!? :p

Sideways ftw!

Thats a post that you can direct at my bollox.

thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This is class. I am so excited to see Newcastle under Keegan. Imagine he got the best out of Owen, Duff, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Emre, N'Zogbia...Martins would be the Faustinho of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How long till he walks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

zabbo wrote: »
    How long till he walks?

Summer, hasnt finished a contract yet cant see him changing that habit.

kdjac

zabbo wrote: »
    How long till he walks?

When the fans moan they don't have a trophy by march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unearthly wrote: »
    When the fans moan they don't have a trophy by march

Trophy?
      Wednesday, 16 January 2008 The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON Newcastle v Stoke, R3, 19:45 Saturday, 19 January 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Bolton, 17:15 Tuesday, 29 January 2008 Barclays Premier League Arsenal v Newcastle, 19:45 Sunday, 03 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Middlesbrough, 13:30 Saturday, 09 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Aston Villa v Newcastle, 12:45 Saturday, 23 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Man Utd, 15:00 Saturday, 01 March 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Blackburn, 15:00 Saturday, 08 March 2008 Barclays Premier League Liverpool v Newcastle, 15:00

or game?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I like this a lot. The golden age of the premiership was when Keegan was in charge at Newcastle. I think that everybody that are writing Keegan and Newcastle off are going to be proved wrong.

Newcastle for the Champions League next year is my prediction. I think Ashley will really splash the cash and that is when Keegan will come into his own. ppl forget that since he left newcastle he hasn't had a big cheque book to sign quality players and that has been why he has struggled.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Trophy?
      Wednesday, 16 January 2008 The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON Newcastle v Stoke, R3, 19:45 Saturday, 19 January 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Bolton, 17:15 Tuesday, 29 January 2008 Barclays Premier League Arsenal v Newcastle, 19:45 Sunday, 03 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Middlesbrough, 13:30 Saturday, 09 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Aston Villa v Newcastle, 12:45 Saturday, 23 February 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Man Utd, 15:00 Saturday, 01 March 2008 Barclays Premier League Newcastle v Blackburn, 15:00 Saturday, 08 March 2008 Barclays Premier League Liverpool v Newcastle, 15:00

or game?

kdjac

was taking the piss that what they want is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wonder what odds youd get on him being the next manager to lose their job/resign

realistically benitez is the only manager in actual trouble, and i cant see him going til the summer, and i reckon theres a high chance that keggy could walk by the end of may if things dont go according to plan and they get sucked into the bottom third

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i can imagine keegan doing his best al pacino pose in a mirror going

"just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in!!!!"

lmfao, delighted with this appointment, dont like keegan, cant wait to see this final nail shut his football career coffin

Are Newcastle fans the most fickle in England?

Total number of tickets sold for tonight?

Before the Keegan announcement-30,000

After the announcement-sold out.

says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Considering that most weeks they have 50,000+ there and a lot of matches are sold out (Trust me, it's hard to get tickets to go over)
    I'd have to say no!
    Especially compared to clubs who'd never get that many weekly, or indeed England fans generally. (Is it me or is Wembley always half empty when England are playing?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Are Newcastle fans the most fickle in England?

Total number of tickets sold for tonight?

Before the Keegan announcement-30,000

After the announcement-sold out.

says it all really.

That is a bit unfair. Most weeks St James Pk is sold out even when Newcastle are doing badly. Cup attendances are down everywhere this year and of course the attendance tonight would take a hit since it is against a Championship team, they had no manager and in their last game they were thumped 6-0 by Utd.

So of course when ppl found out Keegan was the new manager they were suddenly interested in going again. I don't view that as fickle.

aye i wouldnt be too hard on the toon fans for that one, i mean all cup ties have lower attendances to be fair. they do get a huge amount of fans in the stadium week in week out

BBC Match of the Day Live had Newcastle fans giving their opinion, they actually think this is a great move. The only thing is if/when this goes wrong the fans will only have themselves to blaim.

Villain wrote: »
    BBC Match of the Day Live had Newcastle fans giving their opinion, they actually think this is a great move. The only thing is if/when this goes wrong the fans will only have themselves to blaim.

no way, they will definatly find some other way to shift blame...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

flanzer wrote: »
    How can Mike Ashley be worth £1.9 billion? He must have some serious financial advisors over the last number of years. IMO he's a half-wit

you'd be wrong

you do not become a self made billionaire in 28 years by being a 'half wit'

tbh, i dont know what to make of it.
    Ill tell you one thing, if he does well there will be a lot of red faces on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

, or indeed England fans generally. (Is it me or is Wembley always half empty when England are playing?)

Oh no, England have a huge following,normally a sell out at Wembley and as for away matches, huge numbers travel.

I think the red faces will be in Newcastle, I have no doubt that Keegan will lift the club for a short time but I don't think in the long term he will get near the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

newcastle winning three nil, he only has to be in the ground for them to start banging them in!

most hilarious hiring ever, thank you Newcastle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

4-0

It has begun. :D

If you werent serious, Cionad, that'd be funny

• Advertisement
Advertisement