Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Keegan is back at Toon!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Are Newcastle fans the most fickle in England?

Eh... I'm sure a lot of people paid on the night.

Newcastle have had an average attendance of over 51,000 every year this decade. What have they won? The Intertoto Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

glad sam is gone just shows how little the players wanted to play under him.

long live king keegan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

35100 official attendance according to sky sports.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ha Keegan back at the Toon. This is gonna be fun to watch. "If they score six, we'll score seven and I'd love it....".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well well, now this joke of a club have the joke of a manager that they deserve.

They showed an interview on BBC earlier of Keegan from 2 months ago saying that he hadn't been to a football match since he left City! I will personally bump this thread next season when the Car-Toon Army are up to their necks in a relegation dog-fight and Kev "no balls" Keegan walks out having buckled under the pressure, just like he did with England, just like he has done for every club he has ever managed. His naive attacking mentality and lack of tactical acumen will be ruthlessly exposed in the EPL of 2007 which is a far cry from the English league of 11 years ago when he had his finest hour (although why completely bottling a title that looked cut and dried is lauded as a major achievement is beyond me!).

As for Mike Ashley, he's the joke of a chairman that this joke of club deserves. I've nothing but contempt for this pathetic slob who thinks the proper way to run a club is to don an ill fitting jersey and sit around asking the opinions of dim witted, similarly rotund geordies about how his million pound investment should be best run in to the ground. He reminds me of a fat kid in a playground who'll do anything to impress the boys and win their friendship.

Any club who sacks their manager after just 6 months in charge deserves the ridicule their going to get in the next year. They currently sit mid-table, a position that a club with no silverware in 50 years should be delighted to hold not firing their manager in a knee jerk reaction. For too long this club's deluded fans have had ideas above their station. Contrary to popular opinion, they have no divine right to challenge for the title, finishing second once over a decade ago and a few FA cup Final appearances do NOT warrant such grand self opinion. hey should leave such lofty ambitions to the clubs that have a history of success and achievement like United and Liverpool.

Anyway, this appointment has made my day as I'm gonna laugh my hole off watching these idiots plummet back to the Championship where they belong.

bump all you want wa have faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

smog wrote: »
    bump all you want wa have faith

I can't see how any Newcastle fan with their head screwed on could be happy with this appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hey flahavaj, get off that fence and tell us what you really think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hey flahavaj, get off that fence and tell us what you really think!

LOL

flahavaj,
    Chris Mort is the chairman, not Mike Ashley, he's the owner.
    Big Sam was in charge for 8 months, not 6.
    Belong in the Championship? - They've never been in the Championship before so eh... [ i love technicalities ]

I suggest you have a sit down and take a deep breath. Maybe put your energy into something more constructive. :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    I can't see how any Newcastle fan with their head screwed on could be happy with this appointment

and why not ... we are, thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Cionád wrote: »
    LOL

flahavaj,
    Chris Mort is the chairman, not Mike Ashley, he's the owner.
    Big Sam was in charge for 8 months, not 6.
    Belong in the Championship? - They've never been in the Championship before so eh... [ i love technicalities ]

I suggest you have a sit down and take a deep breath. Maybe put your energy into something more constructive. :)

Meh, minor technicalities indeed! None of the above exactly refute the fact that Newcastle have gotten themselves into a quite wonderful kerfuffle!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

As for the Keegan appointment, could be a stroke of genius for two reasons;

A) If he does well then Ashley/Mort look brilliant to the fans for bringing back their favourite Manager and the good old times. The fans will also be patient with him.

B) If he loses the plot and it all goes belly up, Ashley/Mort say, well at least we got who the fans wanted (not all fans mind you, including me.) and the shadow of the Keegan era is lifted from the club, so the next manager isn't under as much pressure to please so soon.

If they put Shearer in as number 2 in what could only be described as a Newcastle "dream team" then they would kill two birds with one stone, for the very same reasons as above. Genius!

Now hopefully half the players will realise they could be gone in the morning and get their act together, they will be playing for their jobs until the end of the season.

Keegan will also get backed to the hilt in the transfer market for the next two weeks. Expect one or two more back-pages filled with toon signings over the coming weeks.

Exciting and entertaining times ahead no matter what.

Come on the toon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meh, minor technicalities indeed! None of the above exactly refute the fact that Newcastle have gotten themselves into a quite wonderful kerfuffle!;)

Kerfuffle is a quality word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

We ar slowly turning into Harchester day by day ................ I'm fcuking sick of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Excellent. 'EPL mockery of the year award' has moved from Spurs to Newcastle.

I really dont understand that decision at all. Not in the slightest.

And evilhomer, I understand your points, but I find it hard to believe that the board would install someone with a ready made excuse if it goes belly up. Its not as if they are far from the drop zone.

But who knows. Maybe King Kev will do the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I said nothing would surprise me, but ****ing hell, I didn't expect this!

My first reaction was disappointment. But on reflection I don't think it's such a bad move.

If it doesn't go well he'll just resign and we'll move on. He won't persist in dragging us down like Souness would have done. He's also proved he can manage Newcastle where so many others have failed, and where so many more are likely to fail.

People so easily forget the reasons he left us 11 years ago was not to do with football or pressure (which I admit he doesn't handle too well), but the club becoming a plc and asking him to sell players. He actually left us in a very healthy position. We'd thrashed Man Utd 5-0 and then had a poor December, but started 1997 in style with a 3-0 win over Leeds followed by a 7-1 drubbing of Spurs - his last two games in charge if I'm not mistaken.

That team went on to finish 2nd again before Dalglish dismantled it. If only Robson had broken his contract with Barca at that stage, I really believe we would have won the league...

Overall Keegan did an unbelievable job at Newcastle, but I think most people feel Newcastle SHOULD have won the league in 1996. I'm sure he still feels he has unfinished business to take care off although nobody will be expecting a title challenge this time round, at least no time soon.

So anyway, I can't help but feel excited. I don't care what outsiders think. You have to be a Newcastle fan to understand. Grown men were seen crying outside SJP the day he resigned. I expect Ashley to fully back him and put his money where his mouth is. And as one other Newcastle fan said, if our defense is a good as it was under him the last time then I'll be happy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

kinaldo wrote: »
    I don't care what outsiders think. You have to be a Newcastle fan to understand. Grown men were seen crying outside SJP the day he resigned.

Understand what? That Thousands of fans are letting memories of 'the good oul days' cloud their judgement about progress for a club in trouble.

And as for the grown men crying - girls cried when take that split up - doesn't mean the act was a mistake and look what reuniting them has done for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm one of the more grounded Newcastle fans and at first I was thinking "what a joke"..the hairs were still standing on the back of my neck though :D
    We're not going to win a trophy but signing Keegan will bring unbridled optimism to the Toon supporters and they won't be on his back..not least for a while anyway. At the current state Newcastle are in, the only worse thing that could happen is relegation and that's not going to happen regardless of the doom merchants.
    Mike Ashley is a businessman and I'm sure he's thought to himself "wtf?" as well.
    Chris Mort has already come out and said Mourinho is out of the equation, Lippi and any other top class manager. None of them will risk their reputation at the Toon.. Harry Redknapp's the same..
    With Keegan they're onto a winner...he'll pick the team up...give him £50million to spend on strikes and £2million on defenders:D and the team will start to move back to the top of the table. Top 6 at least.
    So if Kev bottles it again in a year or two at least Newcastle will be in a healthier position and be able to attract a better class of manager.
    Whatever happens it's gonna be fun..following Newcastle over the 17 years has been like marrying the prom queen..watching her turn into a fat slag over the years and thinking wtf did I marry her for?..but now she's joined a gym and ur hoping that things will go back to the way they were supposed to be.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I wonder how Keegan will get on with the likes of Barton and Owen ?

I know him and Barton didn't have the best of times together from a chat I had with a City player in the past.

I seen on Sky News this morning extracts from Michael Owens book saying how he thinks Keegan never rated him blah blah. (Maybe thats Sky starting the backlash already!!!)

But I think in general every football fan except Newcastle fans are baffled and also amused in a way at his appointment.

If he does anything like he did before at Newcastle it will make the league a better place for entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

<QUOTE> And as for the grown men crying - girls cried when take that split up - doesn't mean the act was a mistake and look what reuniting them has done for music.</QUOTE>

By this logic, keegan coming back to newcastle is a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Although I had a jibe at him earlier in the thread, I do actually think it's a good move.

Keegan is an absolute legend of the game, and while he may lack some tactical nous, he more than makes up for it with motivation and man management. Which is defintely something the Newcastle team need.

I don't see the benefit in football fans constantly harping on about the club being a joke, and taking some kind of pleasure of the position they're in. Keegan will bring back the passion, flair and optimism which is needed to lift a team out of the doldrums.

If he can get the players heads up and playing to their potential, Newcastle could well be a very exciting team to watch.

Good luck Kev, and I'd love it, just love it, if you can prove all the naysayers wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why does everyone go on about how amazing his motivation is? He blew the league, remember?! absolutely lost it, it was theirs for the taking and he/they imploded, where was his man management then?! Also he has walked out of pretty much every job he has ever had when the going got tough-how does that possibly inspire confidence in a manager?!

Plus Newcastles best player, and about the only near world class player they have (when he is fit) doesnt like or really rate him as a manager.

Why does everyone go on about how amazing his motivation is? He blew the league, remember?! absolutely lost it, it was theirs for the taking and he/they imploded, where was his man management then?! Also he has walked out of pretty much every job he has ever had when the going got tough-how does that possibly inspire confidence in a manager?!

Plus Newcastles best player, and about the only near world class player they have (when he is fit) doesnt like or really rate him as a manager.

+1 to all of that.

Now at City he did get us out of Division 1 but our squad was too good anyway. In the Prem he was never convincing and eventually walked away. Yes he was better than the previous sh*te we had (apart from Royle) but he was by no means a great manager.

Take off the Geordie blinkers and see that this move is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

My only interest in Keegan's return is the fact that it may lift the team for the next couple of games and they may get a few results that would not be expected (they're away to Arsenal twice in next two/three weeks :D:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

THis is a positive signing (as far as Newcastle is concerned). Good for football, love to see Keegan do it, but i think the Premier League is about 10 times harder with more quality top to mid table. Lets see how the player respond. Duff i'm looking at you.

• Advertisement

THis is a positive signing (as far as Newcastle is concerned). Good for football, love to see Keegan do it, but i think the Premier League is about 10 times harder with more quality top to mid table. Lets see how the player respond. Duff i'm looking at you.

Do what exactly?

Win the league? Not a hope

Win a trophy? Highly unlikely

Walk away? Probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

following Newcastle over the 17 years has been like marrying the prom queen..watching her turn into a fat slag over the years and thinking wtf did I marry her for?..but now she's joined a gym and ur hoping that things will go back to the way they were supposed to be.:D

More like marrying the fat pretentious slag who always though she should be a prom queen......watching her go to the gym for a few years, lose weight, get in great shape but then bottles it, piles on the pounds again and buys lots of expensive jewellery and clothes that she will never wear.............then suddenly one day she texts you from the gym and you think back to happier times and hope that she will get her act together. Remember though, she is one 'all you can eat buffet' away from disaster ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Raekwon wrote: »
    More like marrying the fat pretentious slag who always though she should be a prom queen......watching her go to the gym for a few years, lose weight, get in great shape but then bottles it, piles on the pounds again and buys lots of expensive jewellery and clothes that she will never wear.............then suddenly one day she texts you from the gym and you think back to happier times and hope that she will get her act together. Remember though, she is one 'all you can eat buffet' away from disaster ;)
    Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

LOL

DesF wrote: »
    Beautiful.

She had her moments ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The great man himself

"They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."

"Despite his white boots, he has real pace... "

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw... "

"He can't speak Turkey, but you can tell he's delighted. "

"There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. "

"...using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength. "

"Gary always weighed up his options, especially when he had no choice. "

"I'm not disappointed - just disappointed. "

"The tide is very much in our court now. "

"Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose. "

"That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved. "

"I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different. "

"A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and it nearly came off. "

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game."

"The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. "

"That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong. "

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is.

But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon. "

"Hungary is very similar to Bulgaria. I know they're different countries...

"

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg. "

"The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful. "

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second-to-none. "

"It's understandable that people are keeping one eye on the pot and another up the chimney. "

"I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half-time. "

"It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me. "

"Discipline is not only very important, it's crucial. "

"Young Gareth Barry - he's young. "

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America. "

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that."

"You don't get two chances at this level, or at any other level for that matter."

"You're not just getting international football, you're getting world football."

"Kanu, a guy with a heart as big as he is."

"Luis Figo is totally different to David Beckham, and vice versa."

"Football's always easier when you've got the ball."

"They don't come every three days, like they come after this one."

"I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection."

"The tide is very much in our court now."

"There's a slight doubt about only one player, and that's Tony Adams, who definitely won't be playing tomorrow."

"We have spent three matches chasing a football."

"It's no longer an 11 man game."

"The Germans only have one player under 22, and he's 23."

"For some it's the ultimate job, for the others it's the last job."

"I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really."

"We managed to wrong a few rights."

"We are three games without defeat is another way of looking at it. But if we are honest we have taken two points from nine."

"He'll also be very dangerous from set-pieces. That means he'll be a threat from free-kicks and corners in the final third of the field."

"Danny Tiatto is not going to make a mistake on purpose."

"I'll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again."

"You need 88 points for the title and we've got 61 at present with 16 games to go, but if you set targets you limit yourself."

"We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half."

"He's got a heart as big as his size, which isn't big, but his heart's bigger than that'

"Well, if that's true then it would be a big surprise, but then nothing surprises me in football these days."

"You get bunches of players like you do bananas, though that is a bad comparison."

"Not many teams will come to Arsenal and get anything, home or away."

"Nicolas Anelka left Arsenal for £23million and they built a training ground on him."

"As far as I'm concerned, Danny Tiatto doesn't exist."

"One team with destiny already decided..."

"Maine Road was a great football stadium but as time moved on it stayed where it is...."

Was just reading that myself on F365. Some gems.

My favourite was during ITV's coverage of England's penalty shoot out in France '98 against Argentina. Batty steps up.

Brian Moore "Will Batty score?"

King Kev, "Yes!".

We all know what happened next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Was just reading that myself on F365. Some gems.

My favourite was during ITV's coverage of England's penalty shoot out in France '98 against Argentina. Batty steps up.

Brian Moore "Will Batty score?"

King Kev, "Yes!".

We all know what happened next.

I forget which game it was when England equalised possibly Romania and he said I can see only one winner here and the kiss of death applied and England lost.Now if only they had betting in running in them days.
    Never liked him overrated as both player and manager. This is what happens when self-made billionaire buys local club and sits in the stands and listens to all around him, mob rule very similar to Ebbsfleet Utd.
    When Keegan inevitably goes after a great start that fizzles out after about 10 games, Ashley (not the bloke from Corrie) will take over and using a clapometer will base his selection on crowd reaction.

Headline now on BBC -

'Keegan wants Newcastle patience'

Good luck with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Michael Owen is facing an uncertain future under Kevin Keegan.

The £16million striker ranks his days playing for England under Keegan as "the darkest of my career" and made him "question my footballing ability for the first time".

Owen will have to repair his broken relationship with Keegan after some explosive comments he made in his autobiography.

Owen did not thrive under Keegan for England, scoring just three times, and he has since candidly revealed his frustrations with the man who is now his new boss.
    Advertisement

Sorting out the problem will be one of Keegan's first tasks.

Owen wrote in his book Off The Record: "He (Keegan) seemed the complete package. But if it was for some players, it wasn't for me. I assume the manager had told his staff what he thought of me and plainly it wasn't complimentary.

"I felt I was being singled out...there was so much pressure on him he needed a scapegoat. As soon as he said one negative thing about me it led to another.

"Looking back on the Keegan era, one main feature stands out for me. It made me question my footballing ability for the first time in my life.

"Before that time, I used to go into games believing the opposition was scared of me and that nothing could get in my way.

"That self-belief evaporated at times when I played under Keegan. Certainly it was a dark phase in my career."

Cheerio Mikey

Bet you're either a Liverpool fan or Sunderland.:D

He's an Aston Villa fan if i'm not mistaken

Bet you're either a Liverpool fan or Sunderland.:D

I'm actually a fan of the original *'prom queens', Aston Villa :D

(*Crowned Miss World in the early 80's, pig ugly & clinically obese for large parts of the late 80's, mid 90's & mid 00's but worked on by renowned plastic surgeons lately and hopefully back to former glories in the not so distant future).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

It's very flattering that you all have some much to say about our new manager, we must be a big club after all!!!!

He's an Aston Villa fan if i'm not mistaken

oh god..nearly as bad :)

• Advertisement

oh god..nearly as bad :)

Ha! Not even close. Villa have won a shed load more trophies then Newcastle and we are on the up at the moment, the only comparison between the two clubs is that we both had our fair share of wanker managers & chairmen in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

5 Minutes in and there is already going to be problems...

Amidst the hysteria and euphoria that greeted Kevin Keegan's return to Newcastle, Michael Owen must have cut a more restrained figure.

In an autobiography dismally banal even by footballers' standards, the sole paragraphs of interest concerned Owen's relationship with Keegan during their time together on England duty.

According to the normally reticent Owen, the period together left him "scarred". The relationship between manager and striker deteriorated to such an extent that the Keegan was depicted as briefing against the then-20-year-old striker before the Euro 2000 match against Romania.

"A team meeting was called to discuss the Romanians and Keegan set off on a 20-minute lecture about me. 'Michael, if I was any other manager you would not be playing tomorrow. You've got to improve or we'll have to change.' I really started to resent him - not as a man but as a manager. With a quarter of an hour gone I thought, 'Sod him, I'm playing my own game. I know I'm good.' Then I scored and the relief was immense," Owen wrote.

In another passage that will be of particular interest to those who denounce Keegan as a tactician, Owen revealed that he was asked to play as a link-man rather than on the shoulder of the last defender in order to utilise his pace.

"In training all week Keegan had kept me behind, playing balls into me and telling me what he wanted me to do," he complained. "I assume the manager had conveyed to his staff what he thought of me - and plainly it wasn't complimentary. If I did one tiny thing wrong there would be a rush of critical comment.

"I used to go into games believing that the opposition was scared of me and that nothing could get in my way. That feeling, that belief, evaporated at times when I played under Keegan. It was a dark phase in my career," he concluded.

so toons best player doesnt like the messiah.
    SMASHING start

edit - just a thought. you could probably change Newcastle Uniteds club motto. hows this: "Newcastle United - Theres always something..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

'Good for football, love to see Keegan do it,'
    .......eh manage a succesfull Football Club?.
    No wait.... that would be too obvious. :D

Not a bitter ManC fan? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a good as Owen has been in the past, he has done sweet FA for us. Admittedly that's as a result of injuries, but I have said it to my mates for the last year or so that I think he's crocked for good.

Also, I imagine that Owen still sees himself in a Liverpool Jersey, I know I do. He just doesn't seem fully right at Newcastle. So, if there are ill feelings between him and Keegan, and it resulted in him moving, I certainly wouldn't be too gutted.

Plus, I don't buy into all this never go back lark. Look at Redknapp, Walter Smith, Lippi with Juve.

As a Newcastle fan, i'm not deluded enough to think that upon King Kevs return were going to be back where we were when he left, but I think he can potentially turn us into a top 7 team in the next 18 months, and then after that, bring the club back to where t was under Robson's tenure, with a cup run or two in there. For me, that would be more than enough.

Sure, it could all go tits up, but unless we got a Mourinho or Lippi, which we never would have, any potential candidate we could have hoped to attract (Hughes, Houllier, Deschamps etc.) could have made a balls of it.

I was bulling when Sam was sacked, really thought he needed more time. But if i'm being honest, I didn't think the club would be where it is now or playing the brand of football that we were, when Sam was first appointed, and I imagine neither did Sam. My point is that, if highly regarded managers such as Allardyce can't fair too well at Newcastle, than what's the risk in giving someone like Keegan who has a great relationship with the fans, club and most importantly, seems to know what is required of a Newcastle manager.

As a good as Owen has been in the past, he has done sweet FA for us. Admittedly that's as a result of injuries, but I have said it to my mates for the last year or so that I think he's crocked for good.

Also, I imagine that Owen still sees himself in a Liverpool Jersey, I know I do. He just doesn't seem fully right at Newcastle. So, if there are ill feelings between him and Keegan, and it resulted in him moving, I certainly wouldn't be too gutted.

Plus, I don't buy into all this never go back lark. Look at Redknapp, Walter Smith, Lippi with Juve.

As a Newcastle fan, i'm not deluded enough to think that upon King Kevs return were going to be back where we were when he left, but I think he can potentially turn us into a top 7 team in the next 18 months, and then after that, bring the club back to where t was under Robson's tenure, with a cup run or two in there. For me, that would be more than enough.

Sure, it could all go tits up, but unless we got a Mourinho or Lippi, which we never would have, any potential candidate we could have hoped to attract (Hughes, Houllier, Deschamps etc.) could have made a balls of it.

I was bulling when Sam was sacked, really thought he needed more time. But if i'm being honest, I didn't think the club would be where it is now or playing the brand of football that we were, when Sam was first appointed, and I imagine neither did Sam. My point is that, if highly regarded managers such as Allardyce can't fair too well at Newcastle, than what's the risk in giving someone like Keegan who has a great relationship with the fans, club and most importantly, seems to know what is required of a Newcastle manager.

Agreed..I'd be quite happy to see the back of Owen as well..fvckin little ponce...Shearer/Ferdinand/Asprilla had no problem with Keegan did they?
    With Owen it's all me me me..tosser.
    Definitely thought that Sam was the man to turn things around as well, especially the whole background staff etc..it worked at Bolton and I was eager to see the same thing implemented at Newcastle..getting their training regime into the modern times..

I still have no doubt he would have turned it around, if he had been given any sort of decent amount of time.

'Good for football, love to see Keegan do it,'
    .......eh manage a succesfull Football Club?.
    No wait.... that would be too obvious. :D

Not a bitter ManC fan? :p

Bitter about what exactly? We now have structure and stability and look like we could potentially win something. Your club is a sham.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bitter about what exactly? We now have structure and stability and look like we could potentially win something. Your club is a sham.
    I'd take Ashley over Thaksin anyday.

Wait until the going gets tough, then see...

both of ye should just be thankful ye dont have Gillette and Hicks and shut up moaning! ;)

• Advertisement

He resigned from Newcastle mid-season for non-footballing reasons, and left us in a great position.

Left Fulham after promotion to answer a nation's cry for help and take over England.

Left England because he no longer felt he was up to it and saved the FA from having to sack him.

Left Man City because his heart was no longer in it. Hardly a complete failure. Had them playing some of the best football ever seen at Maine Road upon winning promotion.

I can only see him leaving Newcastle again if it goes completely tits up.

Advertisement