Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Keegan is back at Toon!

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    both of ye should just be thankful ye dont have Gillette and Hicks and shut up moaning! ;)
    I am. Certainly not moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

kinaldo wrote: »
    re. Keegan's reputation as a quitter.

He resigned from Newcastle mid-season for non-footballing reasons, and left us in a great position.

Left Fulham after promotion to answer a nation's cry for help and take over England.

Left England because he no longer felt he was up to it and saved the FA from having to sack him.

Left Man City because his heart was no longer in it. Hardly a complete failure. Had them playing some of the best football ever seen at Maine Road upon winning promotion.
    'kin you really are deluded. You're trying to defend his reputation as a quitter by pointing out the fact that he has actually quit all his jobs? Now there's fuzzy logic for ya!!

Regardless of his reasons for quitting each time he "did" actually quit all the jobs that he has had so ergo, he's a "Quitter"

BaZmO* wrote: »
    'kin you really are deluded. You're trying to defend his reputation as a quitter by pointing out the fact that he has actually quit all his jobs? Now there's fuzzy logic for ya!!

Regardless of his reasons for quitting each time he "did" actually quit all the jobs that he has had so ergo, he's a "Quitter"

As opposed to one of those managers that waits to get the sack and a huge payoff. Keegan may be a quitter but there's not many that have more integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Keegan is a has been and I think he knew that when he gave an interview before xmas saying nothing would bring him back into football, for gods sake he said he hadn't even watched a live game since he left Man City. Its funny that Newcastle couldn't move forward and get a good manager but whats even funnier is that Newcastle fans think its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Why does everyone go on about how amazing his motivation is? He blew the league, remember?! absolutely lost it, it was theirs for the taking and he/they imploded, where was his man management then?!
    Blew the league that year alright. 2nd place was all he could manage. If they give Rafa more time maybe he too can blow a league and finish 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keegan has just pleaded for patience.
    Classic!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

PHB wrote: »
    Classic!

How long do ye reckon? End of season?? 12months tops?

(Before he leaves or gets booted that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    How long do ye reckon? End of season?? 12months tops?

(Before he leaves or gets booted that is)
    how far will 24 games go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    Classic!

isnt he from newcastle?
    should know better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jazzy wrote: »
    isnt he from newcastle?
    should know better...
    He's a Yorkshire man as far as Pighead knows.

• Advertisement

Did people expect him to come out and say he's gonna turn our fortunes around immediately? Standard football-speak really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Villain wrote: »
    There is only one logic I can apply here, they wanted to give Shearer the job but thought he lacked expierence so they are bringing in Keegan who will appoint Shearer as his assistant and Shearer will take over in a season or two. One thing that flaws that logic is they could be in Championship by then
    Bobby Robson/Steve Staunton, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Raekwon wrote: »
    More like marrying the fat pretentious slag who always though she should be a prom queen......watching her go to the gym for a few years, lose weight, get in great shape but then bottles it, piles on the pounds again and buys lots of expensive jewellery and clothes that she will never wear.............then suddenly one day she texts you from the gym and you think back to happier times and hope that she will get her act together. Remember though, she is one 'all you can eat buffet' away from disaster ;)

brilliant....seamus heaney gets awards for less!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

gucci wrote: »
    brilliant....seamus heaney gets awards for less!!

In fairness, Mathew Reilly handed it to me on a plate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

NEWS JUST IN!

King Kev has resigned from Newcaslte post citing the pressure of a title challenge as too much.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

NEWS JUST IN!

King Kev has resigned from Newcaslte post citing the pressure of a title challenge as too much.

i bet people checked BBC anyway to see if it was true :D

/i did :p

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

NEWS JUST IN!

Probably his thoughts after taking his first & only training session :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's wasting no time anyway. Wright Phillips to Newcastle?

http://backintheday.blogharbor.com/keegan in for philips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's a bad move by Newcastle but he's an entertaining character and it will make the PL a bit more interesting anyway.

All this talk of newcastle spending big really annoys me - not because they will be going for 'top stars', but because it proves Ashley deliberately screwed Big Sam around and deliberately sabotaged his chances of turning newcastle around. An absolute disgrace. Why was there no massive transfer kitty for Big Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Tauren wrote: »
    All this talk of newcastle spending big really annoys me - not because they will be going for 'top stars', but because it proves Ashley deliberately screwed Big Sam around and deliberately sabotaged his chances of turning newcastle around. An absolute disgrace. Why was there no massive transfer kitty for Big Sam.

Because he'd bought a new super duper backline (Beye/Capaca/Rozenthal/Enrique) that was supposed to shore up Newcastle's defense and instead made it worse.
    Would you then give this man more of your money?

Because he'd bought a new super duper backline (Beye/Capaca/Rozenthal/Enrique) that was supposed to shore up Newcastle's defense and instead made it worse.
    Would you then give this man more of your money?

Beye and Capaca at least could never be considered a 'money no object' transfer that it seems Keegan will be allowed to make.

Maybe if Ashley provided Big Sam with the same backing he will apparently give Keegan, Newcastle would have got in better players and be in a better position.

I would reckon Barton is the only player Alladyce signed that would have been high on his initial shopping list - turns out that was a bad move, but i reckon a number of managers in the prem wanted to make the same move for him in the summer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Newcastle are to announce Andrew Cole as their first Keegan signing today. Apparently an integral part of King Kev's 'unfinished business' plan, the sriker will return to St. James' with Keegan admitting he should never have sold him in the first place. The only stumbling block in negotiations has been Keegan's inability to call the striker 'Andrew'. "I'm glad of the opportunity to put things right after all these years, though he will always be 'Andy' to me," he said.

Meanwhile, a brief trip to Belgium early next week could see Phillipe Albert coaxed out of retirement for another shot at the title.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Newcastle are to announce Andrew Cole as their first Keegan signing today. Apparently an integral part of King Kev's 'unfinished business' plan, the sriker will return to St. James' with Keegan admitting he should never have sold him in the first place. The only stumbling block in negotiations has been Keegan's inability to call the striker 'Andrew'. "I'm glad of the opportunity to put things right after all these years, though he will always be 'Andy' to me," he said.

Meanwhile, a brief trip to Belgium early next week could see Phillipe Albert coaxed out of retirement for another shot at the title.

That made me laugh, thanks!!

the team would probably still have a younger average age than the dads army "King Kenny" put together up there!

Keegan press conference is on Sky News now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting that he gave wee Michael the captaincy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

i think it's a decent appointment. At least he can't make them any worse. And they'll be good to watch. You just know he'll play Martins, Owen, Duff and Milner in the same team, which Houllier or Allardyce never would have done, so they'll have plenty of goal threat.
    Cionád wrote: »
    Luv It!! :)

I think he'll bring back the attacking mindset, we may lose some games but at least they'll be entertaining. Those 4-3 Liverpool matches were great games!!

I began supporting the Toon the year they were promoted(when i started to watch football!), and all my fond memories were while he was manager, nothing has happened since, we can't get much worse so i'm glad to see him back. And he's a hero up north, and so he will be given some time to get the (disaster of a) team together into something good. Thats what we need, a bit of stability in the mangers office.

Also some entertaining post-game interviews :D
    He turned 'that shambles' around last time, no reason he can't do it this time. And at least all-out attack means good football games, something Newcastle have not been involved in for the best part of a decade now.

Plus we were coming 2nd in the league and getting into Europe. Still weren't winning anything, but we weren't winning anything with style and excitement ;)
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Very happy with this news. :) Should make the premiership that bit more interesting.
    Cionád wrote: »
    4-0

It has begun. :D
    smog wrote: »
    bump all you want wa have faith

Are we all still so confident? Its pretty clear he hasn't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Newcastle are going down :)
    Unlikely to get anything from either Blackburn or Liverpool, gona be in a dead cert relegation battle.

Supporting Newcastle is for masochists only. Sure an exciting relegation battle beats meaningless mid-table fixtures any day! The renaissance will begin next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Keegan for England!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote: »
    Sure an exciting relegation battle beats meaningless mid-table fixtures any day!

Thats what I said until the unthinkable happened. And then it turned out the Championship was even better! Now every team is trying their best to be crap, so they can get into the best league in the world. :D

Also, why was this thread not locked already? Surely it "had run its course" like the 'CL Bigger than the WC?' thread which I never got to post in. A thread should not be allowed live or die based on its own momentum. I thought mods were here to prevent that from happening? Or was PHB just trying to do us all a big favour there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Take it on the chin Kinaldo

I'll be slaughtered end of season when I said Arsenal wouldn't in the title race by May :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How come Shay Given was subbed at half-time? Was there an injury?

groin injury same thing that kept him out few weeks ago.

kdjac

How come Shay Given was subbed at half-time? Was there an injury?

KdjaCL wrote: »
    groin injury same thing that kept him out few weeks ago.

kdjac

Ah right. Cheers. Glad it's nothing too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ah right. Cheers. Glad it's nothing too serious.

I don't know? This is becoming a recurring injury for Shay:(
    He should never have played today, went into the game carrying it from their previous match.

Advertisement