Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poo and the dog walker

Options
  • 16-01-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Right here's my beef...

I live in the park and since the dog walker started coming to collect a dog on my road I am finding poo all over my garden. She comes flying up the road in her car then lets about 5 dogs out of her car to do their business (while collecting the dog from the house). I have seen her do this on several occasions and by the time I find my keys she is gone like a bat out of hell.

If anybody reading this uses her, can you please ask that she picks up the poo. Its a health hazard for small children.

Rant over :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Can't you ask her yourself?

If the dogs are pooing in your garden, you have every right to ask her to prevent it.

Alternatively contact your management company or committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

my point is that she flies in and out in her car and by the time I get my keys to open the door/make sure my son safe... she is gone. And it is not just my garden, it is over on the green also.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

i know exactly what you mean. i've tried to get her a couple of times but by the time i put the baby down and get to the front door she's gone!! there's poo everywhere. the dogs are let out of the car without leads, run riot for a couple of minutes and are then bundled into the car. it's pretty disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

neets wrote: »
    i know exactly what you mean. i've tried to get her a couple of times but by the time i put the baby down and get to the front door she's gone!! there's poo everywhere. the dogs are let out of the car without leads, run riot for a couple of minutes and are then bundled into the car. it's pretty disgusting.
    Call into the owner of the dog she collects on your road and ask for her number, then call her and tell her you are reporting her to the council unless she accompanies the dogs on a leash and cleans up after them.
    People like that should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

daveco23 wrote: »
    Call into the owner of the dog she collects on your road and ask for her number, then call her and tell her you are reporting her to the council unless she accompanies the dogs on a leash and cleans up after them.
    People like that should be prosecuted.

I don't think the council can do anything for something like that. Perhaps the management company. Certainly worth getting the number of the lady if you are getting annoyed with the pooh in your garden. I would hate to have to put up with it. It really is not on.

You would be very right to adamantly complain about it. It is your property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

littering is an offence and failing to clean up after your dog is also an offence. may be a grey area because the estate is private property, but if someone was dumping rubbish in your garden you'd be entitled to pursue them - can't see how this is any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

Kildare County Council have given signs to residents associations stating that there is a possible 1500 eu fine for not cleaning up after your dog. Ring your local litter/environment section of your council/corpo to clarify. Definatley talk to your neighbour as advised above and ask them to pass message onto the dog walker, take photos. If that doesnt work pass the walker's details onto the tax man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

cuddydale wrote: »
    Right here's my beef...

I live in the park and since the dog walker started coming to collect a dog on my road I am finding poo all over my garden. She comes flying up the road in her car then lets about 5 dogs out of her car to do their business (while collecting the dog from the house). I have seen her do this on several occasions and by the time I find my keys she is gone like a bat out of hell.

If anybody reading this uses her, can you please ask that she picks up the poo. Its a health hazard for small children.

Can I ask which turn off for the park this is...
    I'm in the second turn off and yesterday my son and I were out on the green as he wanted to play with his remote control car..
    Anyway cut a long story short, by the time we went back to the house, both of us had dog poo on our shoes as well as the toy...

Now to be honest I've only seen 1 dog on that grass (rat type thing)...
    If I catch it doing its number 2's on the green then I will personally post its mess through the owners letter box, with a letter with my address and if the owner wangts to come and see me then at the moment in time he'll be taking their own safeth in the own hands...
    Total disregard for everyone else out there.... they need their nose rubbing in the mess...
    Not sure if its a old wives tale or what... but heard that if a young child is unfortant enough to get it in their eyes then it can cause severe burns and possibly make them go blind....
    Rant over now, blood is boiling here.... To the owners of dogs in the park, clean up the mess and keep your dogs undercontrol, as there is means and ways of sorting this issue out and i dont want to go down that road..:mad:
    Now where are my cig's..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

No wizard. It is not an old wives tale. Many children have been blinded by the actions of ''responsible dog owners''.
    Someone posted earlier that there was little the council could or would do. Nonse! I rang the Garda before about one person with a restricted breed dog with no mussle and to be fair; the dog control unit was down quick smart. If this person is making a living out of this. A quick call and she will be shut down pretty quickly. Keep an eye out and get reg number,etc or dog owners name from collar.

No wizard. It is not an old wives tale. Many children have been blinded by the actions of ''responsible dog owners''.

lets not get carried away - "many children have been blinded" is surely an exaggeration unless you can supply a source for that claim. I too have read of the health hazards of dog**** but I don't recall ever reading about an actual case of blindness in this country.

Nonetheless, it is disgusting, children inevitably step in it, buggy wheels get caked in it. The seafront in greystones is particularly bad - like a obstacle course because the pavements are so narrow and so many inconsiderate assholes walk their dogs along them. But the council don't seem to give a damn, I never heard of anyone being fined or prosecuted for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

"Rant over now, blood is boiling here.... To the owners of dogs in the park, clean up the mess and keep your dogs undercontrol, as there is means and ways of sorting this issue out and i dont want to go down that road..
    Now where are my cig's..!!!"

I totally understand the upset that is being caused but I would like to speak up for the genuinely responsible dog owners, as I feel from reading posts on the subject that to have a dog at all is becoming akin to inviting the Dark Powers to move in.

I have two small terriers. When they go out they are always on a leash unless the area is suitable for a little small dog rampaging. And I always always clean up after them - if I had the need to crap in a public area, I certainly wouldn't leave my mess behind. I will happily carry a bag of poo around with me if walking them , but perhaps it might encourage people to clean up if there were dog mess bins in the locality ?

My dogs have been taught that gardens etc are off limits. My dog walker is a qualified vets nurse and its certainly not her involved re the behaviour of the "dog walker" in question - I feel sorry for the dogs involved - five seems a large number for a car. My walker would be horrified and at the overall picture presented.

I am an ardent dog lover and I wish people would realize what they are taking on - a huge responsibility. My dogs don't constantly bark because they are confidant and secure. I know I have said it before here, but its a stressed bored dog that barks all day - they will also do it if they see themselves as the pack leader and if you, a pack member, disappears for ten hours, they will stress about it - where are you ? are you ok ? But, set yourself up as the leader and they will be fine, because to a dog, the leader can do what they want and look after themselves. I'm a one woman show and work full time but it works because I have put the time, thought and effort into having dogs.

I check periodically with my neighbours and have been told they present no problem at all - they are great watch dogs and will kick off all right if they have good reason to - indeed my immediate neighbours are delighted with this ! They are outdoors in the summer in two very good kennels and in winter they stay in and use newspaper - again, I trained them to do so - but nothing else gets touched, because there is no stress or separation anxiety.

Apologies for banging on, but I was beginning to feel that myself and the two mutts might be the victims of a witch hunt at some point ! One of them is a mini Yorkie but NOT the 'rat like' perpatrator mentioned ! I wouldn't dream of letting them out alone.

loyatemu wrote: »
    lets not get carried away - "many children have been blinded" is surely an exaggeration unless you can supply a source for that claim. I too have read of the health hazards of dog**** but I don't recall ever reading about an actual case of blindness in this country.

Well Loyatemu I have. In fact there was a lady on the Jerry Ryan show last year who's son was blinded. She presented her case in an almost matter of fact fashion which seemed to suggest that this problem was far from unknown or totally unusual. A parisite called Toxocarisis in the poo can cause a progressive degeneration of sight and lead to blindness. Oh and she said it was hard not to be bitter about the supposed ''responsible dog owners''. My feelings are with her entirely. But if you think thats getting ''carried away'' then so be it. I would have thought that the indulgence of all responsible dog/cat owners is not worth the sight of one child. But thats just carried away exaggerating old me. My sincerest apologies.

Maisy wrote: »
    "

I totally understand the upset that is being caused but I would like to speak up for the genuinely responsible dog owners, as I feel from reading posts on the subject that to have a dog at all is becoming akin to inviting the Dark Powers to move in ok ?

but I was beginning to feel that myself and the two mutts might be the victims of a witch hunt at some point ! One of them is a mini Yorkie but NOT the 'rat like' perpatrator mentioned ! I wouldn't dream of letting them out alone.
    I dont think anyone suggested this maisy. And fair play to way you keep your dogs and are mindful of your neighbours,etc. Your post is otherwise bang on correct. But there are just so many people with dogs/cats who dont give a ....

Well Loyatemu I have. In fact there was a lady on the Jerry Ryan show last year who's son was blinded. She presented her case in an almost matter of fact fashion which seemed to suggest that this problem was far from unknown or totally unusual. A parisite called Toxocarisis in the poo can cause a progressive degeneration of sight and lead to blindness. Oh and she said it was hard not to be bitter about the supposed ''responsible dog owners''. My feelings are with her entirely. But if you think thats getting ''carried away'' then so be it. I would have thought that the indulgence of all responsible dog/cat owners is not worth the sight of one child. But thats just carried away exaggerating old me. My sincerest apologies.

If you read my post you would see that I am not a dog owner, nor do I believe they should be "indulged" - I've scraped enough crap off my kids' shoes to have very little sympathy for dog owners, responsible or otherwise (and the responsible ones are definitely in the minority).

While the case you describe sounds undoubtedly tragic, it is not a common problem affecting "many" children (not in the first world at least). The risk is real, but small (annual incidence of 1 in 15 million according to a Dutch report I just read).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

On a slightly seperate issue

Who owns the white Pit Bull? The guy walks it along the Spine Road most nights. It is on a lead but never ever have I seen it muzzled.

Car2318 wrote: »
    On a slightly seperate issue

Who owns the white Pit Bull? The guy walks it along the Spine Road most nights. It is on a lead but never ever have I seen it muzzled.
    Yes we are aware of that fellow and have reported him to the Garda. was covered earlier on another thread. If he is using the spine it's because he knows he is not welcome in other parts of the estate. report him.

Good onya wineman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rose2008

Dog owners please stop giving our dogs a bad name.
    I live in the park and I have a dog (now don’t stone me) I walk the dog myself and I always carry nappy sacks to deal with the mess. It is the owners of the dogs that need to be responsible so please fellow dog owners please scoop, if you are using this dog walker please ask her to be responsible and pick up the poo too. That way all humans and dogs will get along nicely…

Give the Pit Bull walker a break!

In relation to the Pit Bull mentioned in other post a pit bull is like any other dog if they are trained properly and know their owner is the pack leader, the boss, there is no need to worry. I have never seen this dog out of control, he is always on a lead and any time I have passed him with my dog he has never as much as growled. People have a perception these dogs are bad and dangerous; again it is down to the owners to be responsible and remain in control of the dog. I have met more aggressive smaller dogs allowed wander in the estate it’s these dogs I’d be more worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I dont think anyone suggested this maisy. And fair play to way you keep your dogs and are mindful of your neighbours,etc. Your post is otherwise bang on correct. But there are just so many people with dogs/cats who dont give a ....

Thanks Hammie - but based on recent comments that even responsible dog owners are not indulged I feel a stoning coming on !!

Well, I have my licences, I pay my maintenance fee and won't be made to feel a criminal for walking my dogs in the area - on a leash, with poo bags. Its interesting that the approach continues to be largely aggressive, and that no one took up my point about the dog poo bins.

And yes folks, the vibe I am picking up is VERY MUCH anti ALL dogs AND their owners - stone first, ask questions later. Well, you know what, with one or two exceptions, I wouldn't want to know many people on this thread. I have met so many lovely people, other dog owners, shock horror, through my walks on the beach and Delgany woods to have to put up with this. Its ironic but "old" Greystones is awash with much loved dogs and their owners - and they WONDER why more people don't contribute to this forum.

As I posted maisy, you are an example to all dog owners. However, your example is sadly seldom followed. I know lots of nice people with dogs too. And I know lots of nice people who smoke too. The problem and the similarity between the two examples( dog owners and smokers) is that too often their indulgence(dogs and smoking) come before the health and comfort of others. Therefore control is called for. Everytime control is mentioned in the area of Dogs,shooting, hunting etc. affected people tend to get a bit paranoid. I know because as a shooter, fisherman, hunter tolerater, I am often a target of recruitment for those who see control as political correctness gone mad. ''Next thing we know, we wont be able to hook worms on fish hooks or walk our dogs''. These rights will not be challenged with control. And control and enforcement is well overdue where dogs are concerned. And as for the pit bull sympathiser. Well what can I say. Read a paper every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wineman, you've been PM'ed.

Hammie, you're already on thin ice. Don't encourage him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DaGaffer

shooter, fisherman, hunter tolerater, I am often a target of recruitment for those who see control as political correctness gone mad.

What a way to make friends HP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Between this and the other dog related thread, there have been too many comments either hinting at, or blatantly mentioning cruelty to animals. Don't want that here thanks.

Heard this person and dogs were seen in th Court during the week with dogs running freely and doing their business in peoples gardens while the dog walker strolls around. Needs to be reported and put out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daithilocha

ive a dog we go out on the lead and pick up after her mess, i dont expect or want my dog to picked up after but bins are missing greatly here in charlesland not just for dog walkers.

I've seen on occasion certain people bringing their dogs out late say 10 r 11pm, and let them off the lead and the dog goes one way and the owner goes another.. and the pooch is let do whatever, i emailed the magnagment company saying that bins, SPEED RAMPS!!!! ( DONT GET ME STARTED !! ) and dog fouling signs are in dire need here.

And back off the Pit bull he's played with my puppy and gentle isnt the word,
    Britneys livin in the Grove too.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

And as for the pit bull sympathiser. Well what can I say. Read a paper every now and then.

That's ridiculous, it's been said that the dog is always on a lead, its not like it's running around loose, it's restrained and under the control of it's owner. Well what can I say. Just because it's a pitbull, doesn't mean it's going to attack you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Meh. Invest in a solar-powered high-frequency sound deterrent device. Freely available from Woodies/Atlantic.

Leeby wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, it's been said that the dog is always on a lead, its not like it's running around loose, it's restrained and under the control of it's owner. Well what can I say. Just because it's a pitbull, doesn't mean it's going to attack you!
    No but because it's a pitbull, it's a ''dangerous breed'' by law and should be muzzled in public places. The law is the law and the law is right in this case. What does anyone want or need with one of those things anyway? Sorry to state the obvious but their owners usually fit a certain sterotype where the dog represents something absent in the owners life or something that the owner aspires to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daithilocha

are you well ? what the f..?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

my point is that she flies in and out in her car and by the time I get my keys to open the door/make sure my son safe... she is gone. And it is not just my garden, it is over on the green also.

If you have been observing her doing this on several occasions surely you will know what time she is due and you can be ready to catch her. Be prepared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement