Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing python sought in Belfast

• 16-01-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Oh dear Jesus. I'd have fled Belfast by now!

Missing python sought in Belfast

Wednesday, 16 January 2008 15:38

The PSNI has warned residents in east Belfast to be alert following the disappearance of a snake from a house in the area.

The 60cm long (2') python escaped from its owner in the area of Castlereagh Place and Hyndford Street.

Police say the snake is of the non-venomous type, and is usually kept in warm conditions.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0116/snake.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

2'? Pffft.

Tiddler.

I'd lace my shoes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

eskimo wrote: »
    Oh dear Jesus. I'd have fled Belfast by now!

The 60cm long (2') python

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought Michael Palin had gone walkabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its in my pants :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

connundrum wrote: »
    Its in my pants :(

Turn that frown upside down. Be grateful that there's finally something in there. Even if it is still small...

That's a smile, not an upside-down frown. ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Oh my god that is my worst nightmare.I hate snakes!I hope he doesnt slither his way down to Dublin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh my god that is my worst nightmare.I hate snakes!I hope he doesnt slither his way down to Dublin!!
    Too late. I have 30 odd snakes in Dublin already, lol. Although all are accounted for.

The article is yet another bit of sensationalism based on peoples fears rather than fact. A 2 ft python would not do anyone any harm. To suggest that anyone who finds it should call the police is laughable. Sloppy jounalism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol, 2 foot, be on alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Far too cold for a snake. It's metabolism will drop & it will die soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Duzzie wrote: »
    Too late. I have 30 odd snakes in Dublin already, lol. Although all are accounted for.

The article is yet another bit of sensationalism based on peoples fears rather than fact. A 2 ft python would not do anyone any harm. To suggest that anyone who finds it should call the police is laughable. Sloppy jounalism.

Could be a typo - probably 2 feet thick, not "long".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Thank God you're all python experts. I didn't realise 2foot long pythons were harmless. Few! Oh look, there it is writhing around my kitchen floor!! But it's only 2foot so it's no problem! Yay! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

"Hey guys! The guys on boards.ie say no need to worry! The missing python is only 2 foot long! Harmless!"

P.S. Sarcasm aside, I'd love to see your faces if it arrived in your house. I've a feeling you may rethink your views!

Thank God you're all python experts. I didn't realise 2foot long pythons were harmless. Few! Oh look, there it is writhing around my kitchen floor!! But it's only 2foot so it's no problem! Yay! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

"Hey guys! The guys on boards.ie say no need to worry! The missing python is only 2 foot long! Harmless!"

P.S. Sarcasm aside, I'd love to see your faces if it arrived in your house. I've a feeling you may rethink your views!
    I dont claim to be an expert in any way but I do have a reasonable amount of experience with snakes. I have over 30 snakes including 4 boas and pythons in excess on 5 ft. Mine are small species compared to the species that hit the 16+ ft range, which are also kept as pets by some people. At 5 ft, mine would be incapable of doing any serious damage to a human except for maybe a few teeth marks, that said, mine very rarely snap or bite. A 2 ft python could bite but would do no damage. The bite would be nowhere near as bad as a dog bite, for example. So yes I would consider a 2 ft python harmless.

As for what i'd do if I found it my house, I'd say "hurray, a free snake". Then i would pick it up with my bare hands and put it in a vivarium, and would consider myself very lucky. I know that a python of that size would be no threat to me.

My problem with the article is that it attempts to make a story out of something that really isn't a newsworthy story by sensationalising the events and playing on peoples fears of snakes. Snakes are not the scarey creatures they are made out to be. I show off my snakes at every oportunity to anyone who is interested purely to demonstrate that they are not these vicious creatures that they are made out to be. I understand that some people are scared of snakes, most people are scared of something or other but stories like that play on the fear and use the fear to make a bit story into something more than it is. I am trying to educate people that this is not the case and that snakes are fasinating creatures.

Duzzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I had to re-read that thread title 3 times...for some reason I was reading it as missing python shot in Belfast...
    Then the python thing got me and I thought of elderly english comedians...but they'd been shot? No. Read again...hell just open the thread...
    2'? FFS your arm is longer than 2'....the only ones that should be heeding the PSNI warning are small mammals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is when Steve Irwin would have come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Duzzie wrote: »
    To suggest that anyone who finds it should call the police is laughable. Sloppy jounalism.
    Why? How else is the guy going to get his snake back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I would be fascinated, my boyfriend's snake is about the same size and is harmless.

You obviously panic at the thought of any snake, the tabloids must love you for panicking at their sensationalist crap. How do you feel about all this "VICIOUS" "DEVIL DOG" Rottweilers, Staffordshire terriers around the place? Scared they'll rip you apart?

Do you lose sleep thinking about bird flu and SARS???After all, we're all gonna die from them going by these KILLER DISEASE EPIDEMICS I keep reading about!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ah I'd be grand. Sure I'd just whip me own python out and scare the ****e out of it! WEH WEH WEH!:D

we used to have a pet snake who was a lot bigger than 2'
    burmese python
    sure we used to let is slither around the ground a bit when it was a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

2 foot, fcuk off, I would been scared if it was any sort of decent size. If I see I'll batter it with my roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Gordon wrote: »

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    The short answer is that if I found it, the guy wouldn't get it back.:D:D

In all honesty, this is no more than a case of a lost animal. Whenever a dog goes missing, is there a call in the press to phone the police if you find it? Of course not, do that and you would probably be arrested for wasting police time, they would not care less about a lost dog. The way the article is written suggests that that the animal is dangerous and that you should contact them because of the danger involved.

I stand by my assertion that it is not a newsworthy story and is sloppy journalism.

Duzzie

Advertisement