Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Elite

• 16-01-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Does the Elite get the red rings of death? Reason I ask is, I am planning on getting an xbox and doing something to it that may destroy the warranty...which would obviously be a bad idea if its likely to get the red rings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yes, because its an Xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yes, because its an Xbox

Damn. Was hoping the issues were resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 muziinit

no m8 it was a bad batch of xboxes that had the ring issues
    i had myne over a year and no probs the guy at the shop told me it was a bad batch
    i hav upgraded now to the elite and its running like a dream ps....
    what ya moding on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

It was more than a "bad batch", but most of the problems have been sorted out. Apparently, it was the type of solder used in the first year of production that caused the problems... If your planning on buying one, then maybe its a good idea to buy the extra external fan. Keeps the components cooler, and gives a long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 muziinit

thats the 1 m8 sounds like somthing the guy said wasnt paying too much atenchion at the time as i was raging with anger it was my 3rd xbox not only did i get the ring issu but it scrached ma game to the point that it wouldnt play and they wouldnt exchange it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

muziinit wrote: »
    what ya moding on it :D

Not sure. Looking for some info but discussion isnt allowed on this site as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    It was more than a "bad batch", but most of the problems have been sorted out. Apparently, it was the type of solder used in the first year of production that caused the problems... If your planning on buying one, then maybe its a good idea to buy the extra external fan. Keeps the components cooler, and gives a long life.
    Ehh doesnt the external fan put more of a strain on the components?

Thought I read that somewhere that you shouldn't use them on the xbox.

If it's the newer core elite then it should be fine Tusky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

kaimera wrote: »
    Ehh doesnt the external fan put more of a strain on the components?

Thought I read that somewhere that you shouldn't use them on the xbox.

If it's the newer core elite then it should be fine Tusky

Yeah I also remember reading that those external fans that run off the USB ports on the Xbox 360 actually do more harm than good because the power they use up takes away from keeping everything inside working as it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

i bought mine in december 06 and never had a problem. am i out of the woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

it was the type of solder used in the first year of production that caused the problems.

Ive read that before, and its bull , everyone has to use lead free solder now , and most motherboards and consoles work fine with it ....

The problem with the 360 was they rushed it to launch to get ahead , they had not sourced a proper heat sink solution for the processor , the just jammed on a temp. one in there and gave no support to the back of the board .....

Now anyone thats put together a pc lately knows that the processor heatsink must be supported on the back of the board or the board warps when it gets hot ( they all do , pc processors and console processors alike ) and this caused the solder joints to break or go dry , and this wouldnt have happened if the heat sink solution had been right first time.

So its not the solder thats at fault , rather its the design of the heat management in general.

On a side note , the reason the towel trick works , and it does , is that it makes the console hot enough to re-flow the solder joints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Im thinking of ugrading to an Elite 2moro. Is there different versions of it? I was told to look for a certain voltage on the box, but I wasnt really listening to them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Im thinking of ugrading to an Elite 2moro. Is there different versions of it? I was told to look for a certain voltage on the box, but I wasnt really listening to them :o

Look for one with a lot number of 0737 or later, and 175W printed on the box, that's your best chance of getting a Falcon chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

forbesii wrote: »
    i bought mine in december 06 and never had a problem. am i out of the woods?

mine had manuf date 11.06 and got the RROD 3 nights ago so no wouldnt count on it...

Advertisement