Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lil Help!New Build won't Boot.

Options
  • 16-01-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler (
    Asus P5E Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Thermaltake VA9003BWS Kandalf Full Tower - Black
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB GDDR3
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz

Heya guys,

Just took delivery of the above great, but unfortunatly it aint booting up. using a 620w Cosair PSU. I have CPU in (cpu fan plugged in,not placed on cpu yet though) 1 Gig of 8500 DDR2 RAM in slot 1. GFX card installed, sound card and then obvious power buttons etc.2 hard drives (sata2)

Now I plug in using the 8pin and the other power module (cant think of name) flick switch on PSU and the lights on Sound Card and MoBo light up, but nothing else. No boot up of the CPU fan, the PSU fan, gfx card fan. There is also no beep to indicate anything, like BIOS fail or anything.

I just cant think of anything else off top of my head. Any ideas of where I can go from here. I hope one of these aint DOA as Ive been waiting 2 months with no PC for this day

Thanks in Advance
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Isn't there more than one power connector for that motherboard.
    Check around near the CPU for a 4 port power connector.
    Will check online myself now in a sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have CPU in (cpu fan plugged in,not placed on cpu yet though)

OMG, dont power up without a cooler, quads are hot enough.

Big mistake to plug everything in & hope it works. Start with just ram, cpu, atx switch, case speaker (need this to test), 24 pin power & 8 pin power, cpu cooler must be connected to mobo. You should get beeps from case speaker telling you gpu is not inserted. Add the gpu, should get one beep, and it will post (power on self tests). Then add others (sats hd's, hd led etc), one at a time making sure they all work before moving on to the next. Don't add soundcards etc. until windows is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

PogMo the only issue I have with your suggestion is that ASUS boards are known not to post w/o gfx cards installed.

Having the CPU cooler installed w/o it sitting on cpu with thermal paste should b fine just for testing.This is drivin me nut.

Guys plz keep advice comin im usin xda so browsing other forums is difficult at the mo thanks

Are you getting beeps? The board will not post without a gpu, but it will give a warning beep. Warning beeps are like morse code & you can sometimes use them 2 diagnose the problem.

Start form scratch with nothing installed, use 1 stick of ram. Don't connect any hard drives or anything else. Just cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick ram, Make sure case power switch, case speaker, 24pin power, 8pin power, 3pin cpu cooler fan are all connected to mobo. Power on. It will give 3 beeps without a gpu. Add gpu, it will give 1 long beep.

No beeps,that's with just mobo,psu connected.no beeps with mobo,psu,cpu,cpu cooler installed.No beeps with mobo,psu,cpu,cpu cooler,1ram (8500MHz) installed.its as if th on off button isn't working if u get me!? Flick power switch on psu and light comes on mobo.but press power button on case and nothin,not a buzz, beep, bop!

• Advertisement

Plug in a fan to a four pin molex & jump the power supply with a paperclip to see if its working. Guide here.

You've got the case power switch connected to mobo, right? Your not trying to start the pc by the switch on the psu itself. Re-check all your connections.

yep using the case the button :)
    Ill try jumping psu and see how that goes.Im using the 4pin plug + the molex rather than 8 pin + molex,tried both though.its odd not getting speaker beep though

Im using the 4pin plug + the molex rather than 8 pin + molex,tried both though

I've no idea what your saying there, a molex is a four pin connector, use it to connect a fan to see if the psu is working.
    Your mobo should have 2 power cable connections,
    1: a 24pin connection
    2: a 8pin connector
    Cpu cooler must be connected to cpu fan on motherboard.
    Case speaker must be connected to get beeps from the mobo
    Atx power switch must be connected from case to mobo

Test the psu. Try changing the fuse in the plug of the psu if fan doesn't spin

update w/o using paper clip, just the psu,(cpu,ram,fans all out)plugged in 4pin power cable+24pin power cable,press start button on pc and psu has a low lvl moan,ok its fan doesn't start,but low lvl moan = bad / good?might need2pick up test psu tomorrow.

Well it would seem the issue was to do with the PSU, replaced that with a new one today and it booted.Hurrrraaayy, thanks for all your help. Now I only have one issue the Motherboard is not detecting either of my 2 Hard Drives :( I have installed them all in different SATA ports and I am not getting anything in the BIOS, sata just stands at {NOT DETECTED}. I have tested these in other Systems and work. Any ideas, I dont think this build was meant to happen :(

G

• Advertisement

Have you connected both cables to the hd's, power from psu and data to mobo?
    What mode is sata set to in bios?

Got it, BIOS issue, jsut updated the BIOS and working now. Im currently posting this from my new machine with all old settings and data saved. Thank you all specially Pog for your help.

Advertisement