Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

case note

• 16-01-2008 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

hi im writing a case note for college as we speak,i was given the headings introduction,factual background,legal issues,courts decision,analysis,conclusion to work under.im on analysis now but im wondering for critical commententary of the case should i use words like ''i think'' and ''my opinion'' or is that totally wrong to use words like those,acknowledging yourself in it...thk you:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

i think acknowledging yourself in such things comes across as quite childish sounding to be honest:

I HAVE A CAT IT SAT ON MY MAT I LIKE CATS!!!!! :D;)

i would steer clear of that type of terminoligy, hows about trying "ye olde english" and using "one could say" etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

thanks stew,yes that would be more appropriate,but i would also like to know if you should use language liek that at all,you know opinionated language.or just stay to bareface facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yeah it is a tough one i know what ya mean, id say different lecturers have different feelings on it so ask each one!

have a little look here: http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/legal-case-notes-parental-responsibility-988

the author gets his opinion across in a way that suits legal writing much better so id try stay along those lines!

thx alot:-)

and 1 more thing,what should i write in my conclusion,it must be quite short??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

While in a polemic or opinion piece it is assumed that everything you say is opinon, in a case note you are supposed to stick to the facts and the law as much as possible.

If you are answering a problem question and there is a matter of opinion - i.e. whether someone could raise a good defence etc, it's perfectly fine to say "In my opinion", "in my view" etc, but only where there is scope for opinion.

In a case note on an already decided case you should stick to what's in the case as much as possible. However, if you do have to express an opinion i.e. whether the case could be applicable in similar future cases etc, make sure that it is clear that you are expressing an opinion rather than stating a fact.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Strong has a book out published by Oxford University Press, see link: http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Law/LegalWritingSkillsMethods/?view=usa&ci=9780199287550

This is available from Hoggis Figgis and other stores for about 20 Euro and is a worthwhile read if you are starting out.

Tom

Advertisement