Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google

Options
  • 16-01-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey all, does anyone know which recruitment agencies google goes through for their admin temps in the Dub4 office?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I *think* it is Manpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

eth0_ wrote: »
    I *think* it is Manpower.

The ugly sister of recruitment agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 adamao

She just got more attractive =)

Thanks, I'll see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Just hope they don't have the same interview process for temps as they do for permanent staff. I managed 5 interviews before i gave up but I believe it's goes all the way to 9 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw sh*te, no way! And I was definitely gonna apply.

• Advertisement

Not that surprising to be honest.. I mean there aren't many employers in the world that have pretty much the pick of anyone they want, google is definitely one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just hope they don't have the same interview process for temps as they do for permanent staff. I managed 5 interviews before i gave up but I believe it's goes all the way to 9 !

I only had 2 interviews with them. Both lasted over an hour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

adamao wrote: »
    Not that surprising to be honest.. I mean there aren't many employers in the world that have pretty much the pick of anyone they want, google is definitely one of them.

But what kind of people really want to work there?

I really think anyone who will put themself through 7 interviews is the type of person who wants to join a cult.

I know two people who work for Google - yes they're clever - but they're probably the most unpleasant, nastiest people I've ever worked with.

I would never consider working for Google. There are loads of innovative, happy tech companies who are begging people to join them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

I'd have reservations about working for Google. The people I know who work there tend to be insufferable smug know-it-alls. There's a strong geek culture there, which can be very irritating to be around if you don't buy into it. As I mentioned in another post a few years ago, the cliques in my college 10 years ago and who were perceived as being weird, nerdy, smarter-than-thou have now started to coalesce in Google. I've seen people who work in Google post on their blogs that they consider their colleagues to be 'intimidatingly smart', which to me speaks volumes about the manner in which a lot of people in Google act.

I just finished reading a really good book on the history of Google (The Google Story, David Vise). The beginning of the book goes into detail about Sergey Brin and Larry Page. Although they're gifted and intelligent, to be honest, in lots of ways they don't come across as particularly likeable. Their personalities are often encountered in Computer Science (and I should know, I'm doing a PhD in Computer Science). Bright, but obnoxious, constantly playing petty intellectual games to establish their superiority, lacking in mainstream social skills, abrasive, irritating personalities.

Of course, it's horses for courses, and some people would relish being in the Google environment. I wouldn't. Brin and Page themselves even admit that each thought the other was obnoxious when they first met. Great company, fantastic products, but by golly, I wouldn't want to work there: it's a company founded by people who embody all that which I find to be aggravating about working in computers/IT/software, and which attracts herds of misanthropic geek-sheep.

The OP is only looking for a temp position though, so this is kind of academic. :)

newestUser wrote: »
    The people I know who work there tend to be insufferable smug know-it-alls.

The two guys I know who work there - that would be a mild description of them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

adamao wrote: »
    Hey all, does anyone know which recruitment agencies google goes through for their admin temps in the Dub4 office?

Thanks!

Google don't use recruitment agencies.

Here's what they say on the website:

To all recruitment agencies:
    Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.

Dublindude and newestUser, I note your points with interest. But wouldn't it depend on the department though? Sorry to stereotype but I get the impression you're talking about people who work in engineering, IT, etc.

As for there being a strong "geek culture" well all I can say is... SOLD!!

/heads off to update CV

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dudess you're totally correct, it depends on the department,

as orla said she had two interviews on the same day, lasting an hour each, then she got the job.

myself was due to have two phone interviews with them (this was pointed out to me before i had any interview with them) but i had to decline as i got a job elsewhere.

Yes sorry I should have mentioned I'm talking about the IT stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i hope to work for google at some stage. i have no problem with intimidatingly intelligent people, in fact i quite enjoy speaking with people who are clearly smarter than me, but i cannot stand what sounds like elitism in some of these same people.

eg. in college i do a course that involves computers and happens to be in the computer science dept but it dosnt really require any knowledge of how the things work. a friend of mine got a mac and wasnt sure how to install programmes on it and asked the head of the computer soc to show him how to install something(as the guy was sitting there with his own mac on his lap flicking threw i-tunes) his responce was "ehhh no your in a computer course you should know that already". i almost lost the rag but stopped myself at you arrogant cnut

What you're talking about is a huge problem in IT. Probably the biggest problem in IT, in fact...

I've never had any problems with the work I do, or with staring at a screen, or with being stuck in an office... but having to deal with mentally ill/damaged people all day (IT is full of mentally ill/damaged people) can be extremely annoying.

I've found (in general) the less "proud" people are about their IT skills, the more normal and human they are. Somehow I don't think Google is full of people who don't rate IT skills...

Yeah there's definitely a lot of techies out there with little or no social skills and are pretentious to boot.. Good job I'm not qualified (enough) for anything to do with IT at google. I was pretty much happy with anything on the finance side of things there.

@ yaynay, well spotted! just proves I don't ever read the small print =(

If you're into Finance, did you see this?

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=621619

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

orla wrote: »
    I only had 2 interviews with them. Both lasted over an hour though.

I had 4 interviews each an hour long and I still didn't get the job :(

And thats not mentioning the telephone interviews I had to do before even stepping on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

TimTim wrote: »
    I had 4 interviews each an hour long and I still didn't get the job :(

And thats not mentioning the telephone interviews I had to do before even stepping on site.

What can I say...when your good your good! Only joking!

My interviews were pretty hard. Ever answer i gave didn't seem to be enough, they always wanted more. I eventually I had to say "and then nothing, i can't elaborate anymore".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

orla wrote: »
    What can I say...when your good your good! Only joking!

My interviews were pretty hard. Ever answer i gave didn't seem to be enough, they always wanted more. I eventually I had to say "and then nothing, i can't elaborate anymore".

Yeah I know the feeling, I had to keep going on and on with the question until my brain had nothing else to say before they seemed ok with what I had answered. Although it was the US hiring committee that rejected me so I wonder how much further was involved in the process.

Dudess wrote: »
    Dublindude and newestUser, I note your points with interest. But wouldn't it depend on the department though? Sorry to stereotype but I get the impression you're talking about people who work in engineering, IT, etc.

As for there being a strong "geek culture" well all I can say is... SOLD!!

/heads off to update CV

It would of course depend on the department. And, I'm painting with broad strokes, thousands of people work for Google. *Some* of them must be sound! However, it's a company which has a very strong corporate culture/identity, and while it's not your traditional corporation, people who work there do seem to share lots of similarities. To put it in an extremely blunt (and, I admit, unfair and harsh manner, but I haven’t got all night) they're geeks.

Bear in mind though, that when I say 'geek' I don't mean 'boards.ie geek'. Most of the posters on boards.ie are not typical of the people who work at google. The people on this site, however, are:

www.linux.ie

I know for a fact that many of the contributors to that site are working/have worked with google. You want to get a feel for Google culture (especially in Ireland) it's as good a place as any to go on the web.

I also wouldn't be so quick to think that the geek culture in Google is a good thing. It's quite possibly a *very* different kind of geekiness than you've ever encountered. It's not your average Joe-Bloggs-World-Of-Warcraft-Trenchcoat-Mafia-Sci-Fi geekiness. It's different - it's hard to explain unless you've been around it.

At the back of that book I read, 'The Google Story', there's an appendix called the 'Google Labs Aptitude Test'. It's some kind of standardised test that Google (jokingly maybe, I dunno) put up on their site in 2004. If people wanted to work with them, they had to answer the questions on test, and send their answers in with their applications. I'm not sure if this was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I think that the kinds of questions that the test asks are a good representation of what kind of interests and aptitudes Google wants it's people to have. For example:

'Write a haiku describing possible methods for predicting search traffic seasonality'.

'What's broken with Unix? How would you fix it?'

'How many different ways can you color an icosahedron with one of three colors on each face?'

'In your opinion, what is the most beautiful math equation ever derived?'

'On an infinite, two-dimensional, rectangular lattice of 1-ohm resistors, what is the resistance between two nodes that are a knight's move away?'

'Tis known in refined company, that choosing K things out of N can be done in ways as choosing N minus K from N: I pick K, you the remaining. Find through a cooler bijection, where you show a knack uncanny, of making your choices contain all K of mine. Oh, for pedantry: let K be no more than half N.'

Google geeks and computer scientists love these kinds of problems. They obsess over them. They rate, and rank, and judge, and bitch about each other, based on each others abilities at solving these problems. It doesn’t matter whether or not these problems are essential to doing their work, or whether they’re ‘just for fun’. Having the kind of mind that is good at solving these problems is important. Most people would consider this to be a narrow minded fashion in which to judge people. Computer geeks don’t however. And if you’re not okay with this (and lots of people aren’t) Google might not be for you.

The point I’m labouring is that when you describe someone as a geek on boards, you’ll generally get people thinking of a kind of fan-boy character (eg into video games, science fiction, weird bands, funky books/films). This is a million miles away from what a computer scientist is, and what a lot of people in Google seem to be like. Most of the people in forbidden planet/games workshop/GAME/Tower records (that last one is a bit of a stretch) couldn’t give a f*ck about the kind of problems in the GLAT. Don’t confuse them with Googlers. Googlers are special, a breed apart amongst geeks. Why do you think they need so many rounds of tests and interviews to establish if you’re one of them or not? :)

And I know this really only applies to engineering/techie heads, but this attitude/atmosphere might ‘spread’ to non-technical departments. Even still though, I accept this mightn’t be a bad thing for lots of people. The sick b*stards. :)

Bear in mind though, that when I say 'geek' I don't mean 'boards.ie geek'. The posters on boards.ie are not typical of the people who work at google. The people on this site, however, are:

www.linux.ie

Spot on. I think the word "freak" is more accurate than "geek".

I know a good few of those linux.ie guys. *shudder*

Hee hee, brilliant post newestUser!

So would they be like, maybe, Comic Book Guy? Yeah he's into the usual Star Trek/superheroes/sci fi/Dungeons & Dragons stuff but he's also exceptionally unpleasant and arrogant - and would obsess over mathematical problems and feel smug about the fact that he knows this **** and most people don't.

Very similar Dudess!! Except extend the smugness to absolutely everything.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i hope to work for google at some stage. i have no problem with intimidatingly intelligent people, in fact i quite enjoy speaking with people who are clearly smarter than me, but i cannot stand what sounds like elitism in some of these same people.

eg. in college i do a course that involves computers and happens to be in the computer science dept but it dosnt really require any knowledge of how the things work. a friend of mine got a mac and wasnt sure how to install programmes on it and asked the head of the computer soc to show him how to install something(as the guy was sitting there with his own mac on his lap flicking threw i-tunes) his responce was "ehhh no your in a computer course you should know that already". i almost lost the rag but stopped myself at you arrogant cnut

I would judge the head of the computers soc's behaviour to be quite typical of a lot of 'power users' in computing circles. Guess where a lot of these power users end up working? Give me a G, give me an O, give me another O, .... ;)

Techies can be quite ruthless in establishing their Alpha-Geek credentials, and asserting their rank in the geek pack. Sorry buddy, your mistake was you asked another techie a techie question. Dumb move. :)

Of course, not all techies are like this. Just the w@nkers. You'll get them in some flavour or other whatever industry you work in.

They also come across as very unhappy, negative people... (this might sound crazy but) if you're like me and can pick up on people's moods/energy quite easily, this can lead to a very depressing work environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Their personalities are often encountered in Computer Science (and I should know, I'm doing a PhD in Computer Science). Bright, but obnoxious, constantly playing petty intellectual games to establish their superiority, lacking in mainstream social skills, abrasive, irritating personalities.
    :)

Well summed-up-I've met many of these people in the IT game

I can't even create a hyperlink - I've no hope of becoming popular with these guys have I...? :(

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I can't even create a hyperlink - I've no hope of becoming popular with these guys have I...? :(

From your posts on boards, you seem like a nice person, so... no, you won't fit in. Sorry! :o

Advertisement