Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've lost my XP Install disc..

• 16-01-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Dell Inspiron for 2 years now and am due a fresh reinstall of XP but have lost the disc.

What exactly are my options now? Can I just ask dell to send me out another one at what charge? or can I source a disc somewhere else as I am entitled to XP on this particular laptop??

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

dell will replace the discs for free if the system is under warranty.
    they may charge you if the warranty is up.

you can use a freinds disc or a copied disc if you have your own license sticker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

I'm sure Dell would re-issue you a copy. Ring them and have your Service Tag to quote them with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I may still be able to find it..If not I will just use my sisters. I just install her disk and everything is legal yes? If I get asked for a serial I will use the back of my laptop..

P.S. Ya know it's just typical!!! I always make a point of keeping every driver/system/utility disc I get. I have the ones from my first Dell dimension but when I need one it's nowhere to be found!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml to get your serial number

if your sisters is also a Dell and the same Home/Pro it should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

techguy wrote: »
    I may still be able to find it..If not I will just use my sisters. I just install her disk and everything is legal yes? If I get asked for a serial I will use the back of my laptop..

P.S. Ya know it's just typical!!! I always make a point of keeping every driver/system/utility disc I get. I have the ones from my first Dell dimension but when I need one it's nowhere to be found!!

Sometimes you can find the service tag in the bios

Or you could boot in with knoppix and to a dmidecode - the service tag should be listed at the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok, I just remembered that when I previously used my own cd when I first got the laptop it never asked me for a key. Because it was a dell disc did it just get the key from the BIOS or something?

Also, I just tried that Keyfinder utility and the key it gives me is different from the product key on the sticker at the back of my laptop.. Is this something to do with the dell disc?

Oh How I can't wait for ubuntu..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Most laptops require a restoration disc from the manufactuer or a partition image is stored on a hidden partition on the hard disc.

Advertisement