Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a new kitchen?

Options
  • 16-01-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get one in recently? We are getting a few people around and the first quote was for 6k which didn't include any appliances. He done up the design on the comp but wouldn't let us keep the prints.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Around one million euro i think,with appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Around one million euro i think,with appliances

I dont know why but this made me laugh out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hilarious alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think you better start shopping around.

I see you're in Dublin. Try Lucan kitchens. You'll get a good one for about €3,000. Minus the appliances though.

The cheapest route is flat pack, but that's just dirt and you will end up relacing it in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone get one in recently? We are getting a few people around and the first quote was for 6k which didn't include any appliances. He done up the design on the comp but wouldn't let us keep the prints.

€ 6k seems awfully cheap, but it will come down to
    a) specification ie finish
    b) layout
    c) size and
    d) special finishes/trims

Obviously there are various structural factors eg solid wood, spray finish, veneers, realv fake veneers, steel and glazing. But you're probably at a more moderate level than high spec.

Get several quotes (Huenna in Clontarf are very good). I would also ask for references and no matter how much you spend, a bad fitter can make it all go very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

Cash and Carry kitchens are supposed to be good and reasonably priced.

Some of my friends have had them put in recently and they were very happy. Have a look on their website, it might have some examples and prices.
    Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Kitchens cost anywhere from 3K to 60K. Similarly cars cost anywhere from 8K to 200K

Please provide more info on what you want and expect and you will get a better response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aye true, flat pack is out of the question. Looking for something decent with a quality finish that is going into a mid sized kitchen in a 3 bed in D15. We have got two quotes now and they have being 6k and 7k so I'm guessing that's the norm. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sizes makes a huge impact, its pointless saying but ours was €xxk, as its all reletive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Asking how much for a new kitchen without any detail is like me asking "How much does a car cost?"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

pm sent with info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'd hold back for 6 months if I were you. The strains are starting to show in the building supplies and installation business.

The 'good days' are over for this line of supply and work. The €6,000 quote will turn into €4,500 by the autumn if you have a little patience ! Remember 'cash is king' in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Mellor wrote: »
    sizes makes a huge impact.

Yes, and how you use it ;)

Kitchens are good value in B&Q, Personally i wouldnt buy custom kitchens... way to dear, id roof the house for less.

dannyhandy wrote: »
    pm sent with info

Why send info by private message?

Why not post it here so everybody can benefit?

Mass produced kitchens from chipboard may be 2,000 to 5,000 depending on spec and whether it includes appliances etc. (Formica chipboard worktops, normal stainless steel sink, generic taps etc)

Custom made kitchens from a cabinet maker may be 3,000 to 10,000 depending on spec, i.e hardwoods for cabinet doors, hardwood or granite worktops, type of sink and taps etc... (can go above 10,000 obviously if the spec is very high or the kitchen is very large with islands and all that)

Magazine type kitchens from expensive named brands... 10,000 upwards... I have heard of kitchens costing 70,000 sterling but that would include marble floors and the like.. it would also be for the entire room including floors etc. Beautiful kitchens and worth the money in many ways because the cheaper alternatives aren't as good, you get what you pay for. (Not 70,000 sterling obviously but 20,000 to 30,000 may be worth it for very high quality)

Cheers
    Joe

i sent a pm cause with details cause i designed and fit kitchens and 9 times out of ten i'd beat any price in the shop. cause must shops are a rip off especailly b and Q and cash and carry kitchens

cheers danny

I don't really think B&Q could be described as a rip off. They are having a sale at the moment and a kitchen can be had for less than 2,000... solid Oak doors as well... hard to beat that price.

They have their place in the market in my opinion.

I don't really think B&Q could be described as a rip off. They are having a sale at the moment and a kitchen can be had for less than 2,000... solid Oak doors as well... hard to beat that price.

They have their place in the market in my opinion.

all i went with a customer on monday to b and q and with the sale they got a price of nearly 2000 (excluding fitting) and the same kitchen a made in all solid pine including the presses and fitted it for 1600 this week

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Chase Manhattan

Aye true, flat pack is out of the question. Looking for something decent with a quality finish that is going into a mid sized kitchen in a 3 bed in D15. We have got two quotes now and they have being 6k and 7k so I'm guessing that's the norm. Cheers

If you want to avoid flat-back then Ikea is not for you. If you are looking for value for money though, they are second to none, quality is good and they have very contempory styles. Budget 1-2K for the units only, which leaves a pretty healthy budget for appliances / carpenter to put it all together. They also have an on-line kitchen planning programme which you can download for free to help you plan out your kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 16 harmoboxer

A1 Kitchens put one in for a mate, with integrated appliances 5000??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

We got one just after the summer and it was €5,500 the price includes the Kitchen and also a carpenter who comes and fits the kitchen ifself. It really depends on the size of your kitchen itself, all adverts in the papers or TV are for a small kitchens, as i found out when we got are one priced.

A warning, If you know a carpenter youself, i would ask him to come to your kitchen and measure your kitchen, then i would bring him to the company to check the desgin, some of these companys send the owner or sales rep who comes out and is not a qualifed carpenter, so he will measure to your needs ;), but when the person comes to fit the kitchen, you may find it not exactly as you had planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Barlow07 wrote: »
    We got one just after the summer and it was €5,500 the price includes the Kitchen and also a carpenter who comes and fits the kitchen ifself. It really depends on the size of your kitchen itself, all adverts in the papers or TV are for a small kitchens, as i found out when we got are one priced.

A warning, If you know a carpenter youself, i would ask him to come to your kitchen and measure your kitchen, then i would bring him to the company to check the desgin, some of these companys send the owner or sales rep who comes out and is not a qualifed carpenter, so he will measure to your needs ;), but when the person comes to fit the kitchen, you may find it not exactly as you had planned.

cabinet makers make kitchens not carpenters.i have been one for 15 years and i wouldnt let most(not all) carpenters near a kitchen either to design, make or fit one,like they wouldnt leave me roof a house and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 harmoboxer

As has been said, any job can cost whatever you want it to? But it is better to go by word of mouth. Good tradesmen charge more for a reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

I would recommend u get in touch with your local handy man.
    Look, when someone buys a new kitchen the old one is either thrown out or given to the cabinet maker for nothing.. I know someone who got a fitted second had kitchen with appliences and matching kitchen table and chairs for €1,200. Most of these kitchens are perfectly good. There is a swap shop type website in Dubiln for things like this but I cant remember the name of it. The idea came from an american website called craigslist.org .. The only problem u may have is trying to get someone to fit it...
    Seriously... measure up your kitchen and keep an ear/eye out for a second hand one.. apparently some women change their expensive kitchens every three years!!!!!!!!!!
    Let me no how u get on!

Advertisement