Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Access to national vehicle file

Options
  • 16-01-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats the deal with access to the national vehicle file (without going through 3rd party companies - cartell.ie)? Can't find any info about this on the net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

What are you looking for??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Whatever is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Have you any friends in the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

junkyard wrote: »
    Have you any friends in the Gardai?

They don't give it out as easy anymore as now they are questioned alot as to why they are checking certain things all to do with the insurance thing in the news a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Say I wanted to compete with cartell who have access to it. How could I go about getting access for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Contact the relevant financial services and they'll point you in the right direction, it will cost you naturally enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I actually don't understand how cartell works, I didn't think in this country we categorised or even recorded accident damaged cars.

I have never seen an area where you can bring a crash damaged and repaired car for inspection and reclassification.

Is it just an ad hoc insurance companies database, or an actual government run department.

In The U.K. the dvla runs a tight ship with all sorts of checks. I didn't realise that we had that here.

I actually don't think we have. the nct is a joke and i don't understand where cartell get their data. If its not from a government department its worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The insurers do the classification. Cartell buys info off the insurers.

They also buy info off a huge amount of other people.

I believe the UK writeoff system is controlled solely by the insurers too. The NVDF here is the equivalent of the DVLA DB.

In the u. k. accident damaged cars are recorded by the dvla and tracked and recorded as to where they end up. Ok iI know not a flawless system but one with no conflict of interest. properly repaired cars can be recorded and returned to the road. the insurers who have an interest are kept out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

stratos wrote: »
    In The U.K. the dvla runs a tight ship with all sorts of checks. I didn't realise that we had that here.

It maybe a tight ship but you can still get details of other registered owners. This is how the shopping centres in UK can issue tickets for overstaying, parking in disabled spots etc. I know most of the out of town places sub this work out.

"Release of another vehicle’s keeper details

You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of another vehicle if you can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause’ for needing the information. Before information is released the DVLA must consider the reasons for your request and how the information will be used. Failure to provide the necessary evidence or incomplete application forms will result in your application being rejected."

• Advertisement

I actually have to disagree with this as i have experience of it. the dvla will only tell you if a car has a current license or not if you are not the current owner.

all correspondence will only be sent to the registered keepers address.

I know this as I imported a car from England and was stupid enough not to check the chassis number aginst the log book.

There was a typo in the logbook, and luckily the uk owner played ball and did the correspondence for me.

the dvla were very helpfull but no way was i getting any details.

Just i guess an addition, I'm glad i didn't cop the v5 discrepancy. If I had i probably would have walked away from the car. Its a car I bought and I love. sometimes its just meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

The area in Italics is taken directly from DVLA. If you have someone parking in your allocated spot in apartment block etc DVLA will give you details of owner (or to property management company).

Check [URL="ttp://www.dvla.gov.uk/foi/relinfo/howtorequest.aspx"]here[/URL], then go to 'Enquires By Post'

Advertisement