Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal mp3 download site? how to?

Options
  • 16-01-2008 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I want to have a legal MP3 download site.

Im just wondering,How do I pay the fees on MP3's?
    can I buy an mp3 transfer it to my server,sell it and then delete it and buy another and upload this(I dont listen to them)?

Anyway of doing this?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Could you clarify what you are trying to do?

Do you want to sell other people's licensed MP3s? ie. sell the latest top 10 singles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭gnomer

hey blacknight, I bought lots of domains from you!

I want to sell Mp3's legally

so who would I pay to,etc

Could I buy mp3's from amazon,put them on my server,sell them there,delete them off my server and buy them off amazon again?
    I wouldnt be listening to them and I wouldnt be selling the same file more than once.

and yes, sell other peoples licensed Mp3's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

gnomer wrote: »
    hey blacknight, I bought lots of domains from you!

Good :) Keep doing that!
    I want to sell Mp3's legally

so who would I pay to,etc

Could I buy mp3's from amazon,put them on my server,sell them there,delete them off my server and buy them off amazon again?
    I wouldnt be listening to them and I wouldnt be selling the same file more than once.
    Short answer - you can't do that.

Longer answer:

You could either talk to the music companies directly or find an existing vendor that offers an affiliate / white label solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Technically it's illegal, you are reselling music which was sold to you for your personal use. Also, when you copy music onto another's computer, they have either stolen the music or, in your case, you have stolen the music companies music by relicensing it.

Not having a correct license is also dodgy business. When your the middle-man, you are swinging yourself for complaints from both the seller and the buyer of the music.

If I was you, I'd contact the IRMA(.ie) for more relevant information, and they will advise you as to who to contact. If I was you, I wouldn't do this regardless of what the laws were.

• Advertisement

Ok I might go for affiliate.

I dont want to disclose my full idea,but it works like this.

I person who wants the MP3 does not pay anything, I pay for the MP3's.

So what I was thinking is,To somehow transfer the amount to there amazon account(or some other provider) and let them buy it.

is this possible?

Also (personal question) would you use a service like this? thanks!

Also,without disclosing my idea,getting the amount does not require anytime or effort,just find the mp3,get the amount transferred and download

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Free MP3's?

Depends what the catch is.

The catch is you gota download them from Amazon but I'm paying.

You dont gotta fill out surveys or anything,Just search for the mp3 on my site and buy it off amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Ok I might go for affiliate.

I dont want to disclose my full idea,but it works like this.

I person who wants the MP3 does not pay anything, I pay for the MP3's.

So what I was thinking is,To somehow transfer the amount to there amazon account(or some other provider) and let them buy it.

is this possible?

Also (personal question) would you use a service like this? thanks!

Also,without disclosing my idea,getting the amount does not require anytime or effort,just find the mp3,get the amount transferred and download

So if I go to your website/s and want the top 30 singles, your going to pay for them all?

What do you get from it?

EDIT: Just saw your post.
    It sounds like it could get very messy very fast.

So if I go to your site, do I pay you.... or are they completely free to the end-user?

kjt wrote: »
    So if I go to your website/s and want the top 30 singles, your going to pay for them all?

What do you get from it?

I do make money but Im not saying how until ive finished my site :)

Yes you can goto my site download as many song as you want and im paying

• Advertisement

kjt wrote: »

What do you get from it?

EDIT: Just saw your post.
    It sounds like it could get very messy very fast.

So if I go to your site, do I pay you.... or are they completely free to the end-user?

Never costs you anything EVER.100% free no doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

So we get free music from you legally?

yup thats exactly it free music legally.
    no installing dodgy software or anything like that.

we dont sell email addresses nor do we even ask for them.

you dont gotta fill out surveys for them or wait a loada time.

there ISNT a catch :)

anyway were going off topic,Would you use our site? thats all we want to know :)

thanks!

Obviously the whole world would use the site. I can't see how its possible though and surely you would want a monthly fee or something. I think some russian sites opperate like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

there ISNT a catch :)

There always is a catch. If you are to legally pay for the music- you need a revenue stream capable of supporting this outgoing. While you say its as simple as visiting your site and downloading the top 30- call me suspicious, but I very much doubt that its that straight forward.

I dont want to reveal how I make my money till its up,tooo many people will copy it.

Id say this has been thought of,but if you dont get enough users you can loose loads.

Also is there a way to tell if a site is really selling legal mp3s?

I might use these http://legalsounds.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

i'd imagine after so many people continue to visit and revisit your site, advertisements would pay for it etc. you'd sell advertising space to companies?

But with a lot of people visiting your site, you'd need to be able to cope with the bandwidth.

Im sorry if I sound dodgy,I just dont want 1000 sites copying my idea.

But it is as easy as it sounds im not scaming you.
    You probably heard people promising free legal mp3s,But I actually are giving them free.

There is a risk with this if I dont get enough users im SCREWED!:(

yawn wrote: »
    But with a lot of people visiting your site, you'd need to be able to cope with the bandwidth.

I can cope,I own my own hosting business :)

If I do need to get more bandwidth I could use the money I am already making to buy hosting which includes more bandwidth

Also quick question.

Can you send money via amazon? what is the best method of doing this? thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Count me in. Ill visit your site for free mp3s as I sure thousands others will. Ill be interested to see how it works.
    Will you be making full albums available for download?
    I know this is off topic

bandit197 wrote: »
    Count me in. Ill visit your site for free mp3s as I sure thousands others will. Ill be interested to see how it works.

Well thats a relief.
    :)

I'll give you a euro if you get this up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats the catch?

I'm gettin my music 4 free as it is ;), would like to be legal, so this better be good or i'm stayin as i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm gettin my music 4 free as it is ;), would like to be legal, so this better be good or i'm stayin as i am.
    Lemme' guess, all the big artists are sending you legal versions of their music or something? :D

I'd use the site, but I dont see how it works....
    ...maybe, your trying to deceive us?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I wish the OP all the success in the world, but somehow I can't see this working... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is it unlimited free downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You do realise that you will need licening agreements with all the major record labels in order to sell their music, or stream their music or even host their music on your site? I know last.fm (www.last.fm) are constantly having to get licences in order to broadcast/stream songs to users.

Also, when you say "download them from Amazon" it makes no sense. Are amazon going to be hosting the files amd are you just hot linking them to end users? I dont think Amazon would take kindly to another site hot linking these files. But even-more-so only Amazon US do full track music downloads, and they are kept iirc, quite secure to prevent any sort of hot linking. Amazon UK only offer 30 second previews of selected tracks.

You seem to imply that people request a song on your site, and you go off and *buy* the song yourself and either hotlink it or stream if from your own servers. Which would be illegal. It breaks copyright and broadcast laws.

I cant see you being able to do this legally and make money out of it without charging end users. And nobody wants a site that is half adverts. And even at that it takes a *lot* of time, effort and money to get proper licens to stream or download music as you seem to want to do.

Winters wrote: »
    You do realise that you will need licening agreements with all the major record labels in order to sell their music

Im not selling the music,I'm going to provide the user with money to buy from itunes or somewhere.

Its only being discussed among us but we'd say 1-2 months if we decide to launch this site it'll be up fully by then

I was looking at amazon,As you can buy music as a gift for somebody(they get download link in there email) but looks like amazon music is only leal in America.

Right now were looking at our options,but we cant believe the interest were getting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

So, effectivly your trying to setup a site where the user can get free money which they use to buy songs?

Advertisement