Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moving up the north

Options
  • 16-01-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi lads

im moving up the north within the next week or two for 6-9 months n i was thinking of buying a new car up there with the intention of bringing it back down south with me n i just want to know the correct way around it cause ive heard lots of different things if anyone can help that'd be great ..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You'll still have to pay VRT. You need to be living outside the state for a minimum of 1 year and you have to own the car for at least six months before you bring it in

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

You also cannot sell it or let anyone else drive it (apart from your spouse) for one year after reregistering down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shaunylad

so say if i reg it to a house in the north for 6months does that still mean ill have to own it for the year then or what

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shaunylad wrote: »
    so say if i reg it to a house in the north for 6months does that still mean ill have to own it for the year then or what

They'll want proof that you lived/live up there for a year. Rent receits, bank statements etc.

The first part, ownign it for 6 months inthe north and living there for a year minimum is the requirements you need so that you ddont have to pay vrt when re-registering. The seperate issue altogethe ris that once you've re-registered here vrt free you cant sell it for a year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shaunylad

say if i getta mobile phone bill to the house n set up a bank account up there will that count n a year is the min. to have it reg to the house before re-reg it down south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres plenty of peopel here that have done it, I'd imagine on eof them will be alongsooner or later with specifics, but by all accounts the customs guys are very thorough in checking that you meet the criteria. they wont just be fobbed off witha few receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also, students don't qualify for TOR VRT relief (Transfer of Residence).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeah, its VERY difficult to pull one over on Customs.

They WILL screw you and take the car off you, if you dont pay up they'll seize it from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They'll be especially thorough with NI-ROI imports, since its so easy to live on one side of the border and claim to live on the other.

Advertisement