Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tattoo-need input!

Options
  • 16-01-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Ok so I was saving for another move back to dubland but it seems to have fallen through somewhat,so to make myself feel better I'm going to blast a wad of my savings on a new tat. I want one of two things on my inner bicep. It's either a koi fish with some lillys and waves etc. or something a little bit evil,warped skulls/faces with a dash of biomech etc. I'm kind of leaning toward Vinny in galway. There's some family friends from here in westport have known him for many years and both have sleeve work done by him. Has anyone any advice for me? Oh and does anyone have a contact number for him? Cheers peeps!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

dont get one you'll regret it
    Jesus saves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I smell a banning...

you totally stuck in galway? don't know much bout artists there but know some good ones in dub...try yellow pages for numbers maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

@lazers - yeah.....ok.. I have 6 already...

I just kinda want to know if anyone can advise on someone who is rock solid with outlines. The shining point of any koi sleeve is obviously the color,but to me that can all be touched up. The outline is stuck there and harder to fix up in my experience. Just want to know whos gonna keep it real and not mess it up on me basically. Can anyone who has had stuff done by Vinny lately post up some pics? Thanks a lot! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

my boyfriend got a koi done on his upper arm

130298246a1857686779b216315474l.jpg

it was done by mark in celestial. he's since had it coloured but it looked savage nonetheless with just outline and shading.

sorry pic is small, can't find a bigger one

thats ****ing beautiful! very nice indeed! Thanks for taking the time to post the pic too I really appreciate it! Is that guy still working there do you know? Any idea on the price pre-colour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

I haven't done my homework on this, but I'm pretty sure the Mark in question is the piercer at V piercings now. He does tattooing in Inkwell by appointment in the evenings, so if you want to contact him, head down to Inkwell by Smithfield in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i only realised last time i was there that he did tattoos too. he was saying then that he hadn't done ink in ages, and was intending practising a bit first before he went and took the needle to the paying public. small chance you might have to wait, so. but i'd definitely go check em out yourslef and hear firsthand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

dont get one you'll regret it
    Jesus saves

Yeah, why get one when you can get 3 or 4?:D

Bit of an odd stance though; being anti-tattoos considering:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54868173&postcount=1
    Are you saying that it's only been a few days and you're already regretting it?!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I haven't done my homework on this, but I'm pretty sure the Mark in question is the piercer at V piercings now. He does tattooing in Inkwell by appointment in the evenings, so if you want to contact him, head down to Inkwell by Smithfield in Dublin.

There's two Marks :p

One in Celestial, who is still working in Stephans Green afaik, and then Mark the piercer in V who tattoos the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Is that guy still working there do you know? Any idea on the price pre-colour?

yeah, it's mark in celestial in stephen's green, called wildcat now but i hate that name!

oh god, i can't remember the price, bout €300 maybe? and it wasn't done in one session, so don't think you'll get it completed on the day, but it does depend on the size and detail. i recommend you get it big enough tho, don't want it looking like a sprat!

mark freehanded that one, i think it looks great compared to other kois, i think it's the look in his eyes, he's like, yeah i'm a fish but i'll kick your ass if you say something funny about it. bit different to all the pussy kois out there!

• Advertisement

yeah i'm a fish but i'll kick your ass if you say something funny about it.

hahaha! legend! It was actually the one thing I pointed out when I was showing a friend here with me,the eyes I mean! Proper mean looking,it gives it an attitude or a personality ya know,not like a stuffed fish on a piece of wood! :P Thanks again for your advice missus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

farohar wrote: »
    Yeah, why get one when you can get 3 or 4?:D

Bit of an odd stance though; being anti-tattoos considering:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54868173&postcount=1
    Are you saying that it's only been a few days and you're already regretting it?!?
    i was obviously joking kkk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring them and ask if they do koi.
    Make sure you see a few photos from the artist before you committ to anything!

Metal Works
    Shop St. 091-567277

Irish Ink Tattoo Body Piercing
    William St.West 087-9390139

cheers biko!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

cheers biko!

You could have just asked me for the number!
    ;)
    I need to go into Irish Ink during the week, so we should go in together some day your up in Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

that koi is definitely NOT by mark in V piercings, thats mark in stephen's green

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

yeah it was mark in celestial.i got him to colour it in too.it looks way better now in colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Vinny did my Koi at the end of Nov, i thought he was really good. It's not the best pic of it, was probably 2-3 day old when i took the photo.

3839137252a6336206720l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Whend fish (carp specifically) become so popular as a type of tattoo.

I don't know but I really really don't like them, granted there is a lot of skill and work goes into them and I can appreciate that but I don't find tham attractive at all and from the looks of things it's getting to the stage where near on every second person has one...

is there special meaning behind them or summit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

koi fish are the new stars i think

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

They're just a type of fish that were popular to breed in japan - so they feature in a lot of art. They remind me of the japanese dragons that are all the rage these days for non asian people to get done as tattoos.

Dashticle wrote: »
    They're just a type of fish that were popular to breed in japan - so they feature in a lot of art. They remind me of the japanese dragons that are all the rage these days for non asian people to get done as tattoos.

If that's all the reason behind it then they're less so the new stars, more-so the new kanji IMO. People get them because they're oriental & look cool but they haven't the foggiest idea as to their real meaning or significance.
    *sigh* if only little miss "Drugáil saor" had been Asian, the irony would have been brilliant:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

jayzus, some people on here are all "yap yap yap" tell ya what, show us a picture of your tattoos so we can tell ya about all the many people that we know who have them and how they're the new black panther yeah? or maybe you'll tell us that your tri-color is the new swastika? utter tripe!

Great looking koi's on the first page,and thats some lovely looking coloring on yours hairyfairy!

To the haters, why dont you keep that obvious unhappiness to yourself when others are showing their tattoos? And who the **** cares what a star,fish,dragon,tribal or ****ing anchor means? There's nothing more *yawn* then listening to someone drivel on about the mediocre importance of some ink.

"uh so yeah,i got this one to remind me of a time when the world seemed like a black hole of depression and how all I could see was the every fading light at the end of the tunnel........thats why i got mum on a heart on my shoulder"

The koi were part of an old japanese fable suggesting that the fish would struggle upstream for its entire life and when eventually it would reach the top of some waterfall or stream,it would become a dragon. wow,big whoop,they look great,people like them,go fig!I'll be getting one too after I get Yoshimitsu's mask in some wreaths. We're here for a good time not a long time so keep your lowly opinions to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Vinny did my Koi at the end of Nov, i thought he was really good. It's not the best pic of it, was probably 2-3 day old when i took the photo.

3839137252a6336206720l.jpg

how much was this by the way? it looks like a decent size!
    do you have the number for tribal ink handy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Japanese fish tattoo's are not a new fad! They are around 100's of years. They have been popular in the west since the 1970's. There has been many variations on the style and designs over the years. Different artists input over the years have led to Koi tattoo's being the subject for some of the most innovative tattoos lately. A lot of what is seen now days is simplified flash pieces that have lost the feel and quality of the the originals, but they are not a fad tattoo! If anything less people are going for the Flash type of Koi tattoo's these days, due to the quality artists a putting out now.

Stars and Kanji were a fad as a lot of previously untattooed people were getting them cause they "looked good", a lot of these people were not tattoo fans but only interested in looking good, which is always a mistake when tattoos are concerned!

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    jayzus, some people on here are all "yap yap yap" tell ya what, show us a picture of your tattoos so we can tell ya about all the many people that we know who have them and how they're the new black panther yeah? or maybe you'll tell us that your tri-color is the new swastika? utter tripe!
    *Notes the absense of any pics of DILLIGAF's tattoos and laughs*:D
    To the haters, why dont you keep that obvious unhappiness to yourself when others are showing their tattoos? And who the **** cares what a star,fish,dragon,tribal or ****ing anchor means? There's nothing more *yawn* then listening to someone drivel on about the mediocre importance of some ink.
    If talking about tattoos bores you so much there are plenty of other forums to keep to.:rolleyes:
    The koi were part of an old japanese fable suggesting that the fish would struggle upstream for its entire life and when eventually it would reach the top of some waterfall or stream,it would become a dragon. wow,big whoop,they look great,people like them,go fig!I'll be getting one too after I get Yoshimitsu's mask in some wreaths. We're here for a good time not a long time so keep your lowly opinions to yourself.
    Hmm... so those viewpoints that don't agree with yours count as "lowly oppinions" because?:confused:

People were merely making the point that koi tattoos seem to becoming rather common lately and that they find this offputting.
    As for:
    Japanese fish tattoo's are not a new fad! They are around 100's of years. They have been popular in the west since the 1970's. There has been many variations on the style and designs over the years. Different artists input over the years have led to Koi tattoo's being the subject for some of the most innovative tattoos lately. A lot of what is seen now days is simplified flash pieces that have lost the feel and quality of the the originals, but they are not a fad tattoo! If anything less people are going for the Flash type of Koi tattoo's these days, due to the quality artists a putting out now.

Stars and Kanji were a fad as a lot of previously untattooed people were getting them cause they "looked good", a lot of these people were not tattoo fans but only interested in looking good, which is always a mistake when tattoos are concerned!
    New in Ireland perhaps then would be a better wording. As for whether most people are getting the koi because they genuinely feel connected to it/an appreciation for the inkwork or because they simply think it looks cool who knows, there are undoubtedly those in both camps.

how much was this by the way? it looks like a decent size!
    do you have the number for tribal ink handy?

Ya it's about the size of my hand! Think it was €250 and it took a little over 2 hours to do, i don't have the number but i pass by there on the way to work so i'll try and get it for you later :)

Answering others peoples posts about the Koi's, i got mine because of what it means to me, the Japanese believe the Koi swim up stream and jump up water falls and when the make it they turn into a dragon e.g they become stronger after all their struggles!
    I've wanted a Koi tattoo for about 5 years, i've been through a lot in those years and now i feel a stronger and better person physically and mentally so i felt it was the right time to get it done.

I've wanted a Koi tattoo for about 5 years, i've been through a lot in those years and now i feel a stronger and better person physically and mentally so i felt it was the right time to get it done.

This was all I was looking for. Thank you, fair enough. Still not fond of em but I can appreciate the work of them and now the meaning.

DILLIGAF grow up, if you'd taken the time to look through the forum you'd have seen that 99% of us have posted up our work, and discuss all aspects of it all around, with enthusism or not. And for note in my case, my tattoo is not flash and no one else has it, I design my own tattoos as I've noticed more and more people doing these days, one of the reasons for which is they don't like flash and the idea that every second person could have their tatt and it can be much more personal to them when self designed.

• Advertisement

Tribe City, Dominick St, Galway. Ph 087-7596780

Advertisement