Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tattoo-need input!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

koi is a good luck thing.
    tribals are blobs.
    my koi would kick all your kois and tribals asses!!!
    END OF!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Get a life lads,my ink is for me,I don't need to post any pictures so the MTV kids will think I'm cool.pfft. :rolleyes: And LeRack or whoever,you should know better,you actually said "thats all i was looking for" as though he/she had to earn the right to have that tattoo??He/She has it already and doesn't require your almighty approval or even your opinion.Bottom line,if you have nothing good to say,then dont say anything at all.What started as a good inquisitive thread has been dragged down by the ignorance of supposed ignorance. Cheers for the number hairyfairy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    Get a life lads,my ink is for me,I don't need to post any pictures so the MTV kids will think I'm cool.pfft. :rolleyes:
    And yet you were insisting that only those who'd posted pics of their own had a right to express their oppinions?:confused: Am I the only one feeling a bit skeptical as to if DILLIGAF even has any tattoos that he'd expect us to all post pics yet get so defensive when the same request is made to him?
    And LeRack or whoever,you should know better,you actually said "thats all i was looking for" as though he/she had to earn the right to have that tattoo??He/She has it already and doesn't require your almighty approval or even your opinion.
    Le Rack wasn't seeking a reason to give her approval, simply seeking to understand why people get that design and what the meaning behind it is.
    Bottom line,if you have nothing good to say,then dont say anything at all.
    And you've been just a little ray of sunshine haven't you...:rolleyes:
    What started as a good inquisitive thread has been dragged down by the ignorance of supposed ignorance. Cheers for the number hairyfairy
    No it remained a good inquisitive thread as those seeking the meaning behind the koi found out what it was, while it may not have changed Le Rack's personal view on them it is her personal view and she is completely entitled to dislike them, just as those who do like them are free to do so. If your posts are anything to go by that number won't be much use to you anyway as any reputable studio will not tattoo children.

Personally I'd say that hairyfairy00's looks good, good artwork, healed well. Part of me feels that maybe something should be done with the gaps that are there as water splashing over the fish on the left side as the ones on the right have clear shading so people can easily tell it's supposed to be water splashes, but perhaps this is just the angle the camera was at (taking perfect pics of your own tattoos is far from easy unfortunately:(, even having taken a good one is an achievement). Am curious as to if the orange & yellow spot in the koi's forehead is just an artifact in the photo/really there? If it's really there was it intentional & if so is there a significance to it too or is it just aestheticly pleasing?
    Shimei wrote: »
    my koi would kick all your kois and tribals asses!!!
    END OF!!!!
    :eek:*Makes note not to swim with Shimei's Siamese Fighting Koi*

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

farohar wrote: »
    Am curious as to if the orange & yellow spot in the koi's forehead is just an artifact in the photo/really there? If it's really there was it intentional & if so is there a significance to it too or is it just aestheticly pleasing?

randomly googled images, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be good tatts!

a lot a koi tattoos have some sort of circular marking on the forehead, don't have a breeze what it means, but it's part of the traditional design i guess.

koi-tattoo-11253306031055.jpg

koi-tattoo-1167957252649.jpg

koi-tattoo-11580483032863.jpg

koi-tattoo-11482499115934.jpg

koi-tattoo-11483646305967.jpg

Apparently
    The carp has long been an emblem of perseverance. It was admired because it struggled against the River in He Jing District, Shansi, linked to the Yellow River. From this struggle, a legend grew up that those fish who succeeded in passing above the rapids of the Dragon’s Gate, Long Men, on the third moon of each year, had their heads burned off by lightning as they leaped over the rapids, and the face was replaced by a dragon’s face, and this was left with a mark on the forehead to distinguish themselves from others. The prolonged exertions of these fish and their eventual success in leaping the rapids became synonymous with the long struggle of the literary scholar who eventually achieved success after much persistence and toil. Thus, a fish-dragon in the shape of a carp (sometimes a sturgeon), with a dragon’s face, became the symbol of literary eminence, and someone who passed an examination for a degree was known as a “Carp who had leaped over the Dragon Gate.” Accordingly, it was commonplace to present scholars who passed with distinction a plate, or perhaps a vase, decorated with one or more dragon-fish. Several exquisite silver plates with gilt decoration have been found and are in museums around the world. The British Museum has a shard of Yue ware decorated with such a fish-dragon. Sadly, it is incorrectly described as a Makara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Get a life lads,my ink is for me,I don't need to post any pictures so the MTV kids will think I'm cool.pfft. :rolleyes: And LeRack or whoever,you should know better,you actually said "thats all i was looking for" as though he/she had to earn the right to have that tattoo??He/She has it already and doesn't require your almighty approval or even your opinion.Bottom line,if you have nothing good to say,then dont say anything at all.What started as a good inquisitive thread has been dragged down by the ignorance of supposed ignorance. Cheers for the number hairyfairy

The "all I was looking for" was aimed at you and your pratliness. I just wanted to know the meaning behind them if any, I can appreciate the art and skill of them but just don't find them attractive and the meaning is pretty awesome too.

Also if you knew anything about the posters here we're far from MTV kids, those are spottable a mile off as the ones that post asking how much a tongue piercing hurts with usernames like "playboy101" (i just made that name up, apologies if it's someones name!:D)

Lads I've a sneaky suspiscion that that last super tatt dude got himself a new account!!! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've always liked the traditional styled Koi, and often thought of getting a Koi tattoo, but I'd want it to be part of something bigger if I were to get it.

DILLIGAF, cool the temper there chief, people were generally just inquiring about the meaning, if they say it's not what they'd get themselves, so what? How does that effect you?

has no one noticed that they simply started bad mouthing about how people with koi's have no idea about their meaning or significance for no reason?

"If that's all the reason behind it then they're less so the new stars, more-so the new kanji IMO. People get them because they're oriental & look cool but they haven't the foggiest idea as to their real meaning or significance.
    *sigh* if only little miss "Drugáil saor" had been Asian, the irony would have been brilliantrolleyes.gif"

punchinface.jpg

has no one noticed that they simply started bad mouthing about how people with koi's have no idea about their meaning or significance for no reason?

"If that's all the reason behind it then they're less so the new stars, more-so the new kanji IMO. People get them because they're oriental & look cool but they haven't the foggiest idea as to their real meaning or significance.
    *sigh* if only little miss "Drugáil saor" had been Asian, the irony would have been brilliantrolleyes.gif"

punchinface.jpg
    No, other people simply no how to read things in context and not simply go around stirring up trouble where there is none.
    various posters asking why koi tattoos appear to suddenly be so popular
    Dashticle wrote: »
    They're just a type of fish that were popular to breed in japan - so they feature in a lot of art. They remind me of the japanese dragons that are all the rage these days for non asian people to get done as tattoos.
    If that's all the reason behind it then they're less so the new stars, more-so the new kanji IMO. People get them because they're oriental & look cool but they haven't the foggiest idea as to their real meaning or significance.
    *sigh* if only little miss "Drugáil saor" had been Asian, the irony would have been brilliant:rolleyes:
    *them* as in Kanji, potentially applying to koi if the interest in getting them is simply for the same reason.

Ok I'm genuinely sorry for taking it up wrong,so explain to me:
    People get them because they're oriental & look cool but they haven't the foggiest idea as to their real meaning or significance.

Cause maybe I missed a coma or two along the way.cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Personally I'd say that hairyfairy00's looks good, good artwork, healed well. Part of me feels that maybe something should be done with the gaps that are there as water splashing over the fish on the left side as the ones on the right have clear shading so people can easily tell it's supposed to be water splashes, but perhaps this is just the angle the camera was at (taking perfect pics of your own tattoos is far from easy unfortunately:(, even having taken a good one is an achievement). Am curious as to if the orange & yellow spot in the koi's forehead is just an artifact in the photo/really there? If it's really there was it intentional & if so is there a significance to it too or is it just aestheticly pleasing?

:eek:*Makes note not to swim with Shimei's Siamese Fighting Koi*

It's supposed to be coming out of my skin, thats whay they are gaps, guaranteed it does look like he forgot to fill it in with water :p But i do intend to add to it so i can get him to change it.

I understand what some people are saying about 'trend' tattoos, i shy away form a lot i like because most people seem to be getting them. My first tattoo was a fairy and nearly every woman i see has one now but again i got mine done because my names means fairy in english.

Now lets all be friends, and thanks to all who complemented my Koi ;)

Ok I'm genuinely sorry for taking it up wrong,so explain to me:

Cause maybe I missed a coma or two along the way.cheers

Kanji, most westerners getting them haven't really a clue what they mean and in what context, as a result it will often say something other than what we intend it to. Britney Spears for example requested "mysterious" and instead got "strange". I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two artists in the world who have intentionally put a different message to that requested because they know that the person will probably never know. It's like a manager I once had, he kept pestering one of the Chinese lads to teach him how to say "hello" in Chinese, the lad told him to say "wha-zow" (approximate phonetics), whereas the actual Chinese is "Nee-ha", apparently what he then spent the next week saying to Chinese people, and getting funny looks for it, is the equivalent of saying "f*ck-off!".

So as I said had the girl with "drugáil saor" been oriental it would have been a rather humourous irony I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's supposed to be coming out of my skin, thats whay they are gaps, guaranteed it does look like he forgot to fill it in with water :p But i do intend to add to it so i can get him to change it.

I understand what some people are saying about 'trend' tattoos, i shy away form a lot i like because most people seem to be getting them. My first tattoo was a fairy and nearly every woman i see has one now but again i got mine done because my names means fairy in english.

Now lets all be friends, and thanks to all who complemented my Koi ;)

Can't remember if I'd commented, and can't be arsed to read back to find out :D
    But your Koi is awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Comparing stars and koi is ridiculous. Stars aren't an overly artistic tattoo there's very little you can do with them but I'm sure you've all seen the numerous variations of koi out there.

xtruthx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

It's like a manager I once had, he kept pestering one of the Chinese lads to teach him how to say "hello" in Chinese, the lad told him to say "wha-zow" (approximate phonetics), whereas the actual Chinese is "Nee-ha", apparently what he then spent the next week saying to Chinese people, and getting funny looks for it, is the equivalent of saying "f*ck-off!".

Wow. I'm sure that went down well. We don't swear infront of our Chinese professors at all (there's only 19 in the class so conversations can be overheard fairly easy) because they go very quiet if they hear swearing. Their a very polite race, very manerly and respect for others is so central to their daily existence.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

:eek: That one looks better than mine :mad: But i still love my one!

ah I dont know if it looks better tbh,yours is very feminine and looks like it really suits your skin tone!

here's mine so far by the way! I'll have it finished next week so I'll repost and she ye the finished result! depth of the pic looks weird but its going up onto my shoulder and my back too!
    Paul.jpg

I also looks kinda fat.....lame... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

wtf is slim, if that's fat? :confused:

can't wait to see the dragon in colour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

awwww man dilligaf didnt you hear???
    kois are so not cool any more!
    i just hope you understand the true meaning behind it other wise theres going to be another 20 pages of bull**** posts.ha ha

nice tatt man and defo go colour!!!

hahaha so yeah,right,koi fish represent the struggle of the tuna fish in the shadow of the dolphin which john west seems to prefer in his nets! Right? Isn't that what they mean? hahahaha! Thanks folks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

better watch out for those bears though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, i was thinking of that, too!

Wilburt wrote: »

better watch out for those bears though

Or anyone with an angel tattoo, they'll just be the pre-castration distraction.:p

Advertisement