Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T3 Varmint

• 16-01-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all. New here so please go easy on me and forgive my ignorance. Should have T3 Varmint(.223) in a week or so and am looking for some bits and pieces for it at mo so any advice/experience appreciated. If I give list could I have ur thoughts please

1)Scope - Thinking something along lines of 6-18X50. Will be used for target/bunnies/foxes out to 300(hopefully!). No lamping(just not my thing)
    Budgeting approx €300 max

2)Bipod - Harris swivel 6"-9"?

3)Moderator - Dont have a clue bout this area. Was talking to my dealer today though and he said that on his .222 it doesnt make any difference. Is this cos .222 is less "moderateable" than .223?(is it?)

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Well im goin to say what everyone else is going to say, if you wnat to get it shooting buy your €300 scope however you should really be spending more!!

A moderator is a good idea but dont apply too soon after getting the licence you will just get hassle imo

the bipod, well i have one i only use it for zeroing and a bit of target fun, i get rid of it when im hunting because i find it easier and more manageable!

my 2c there will be more experienced opinions than mine along in awhile to set you straight

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Nice one for the reply so fast newby. Cant afford more than that for scope at mo due to rifle, xmas, big mortgage, etc so that is the most I can spend. Would love to save for "proper" scope but the rifle doesnt have any sights whatsoever on it and would really like to get shooting;) asked FO for moderator same time as applying and didnt even ask reasons, etc so hopefully no problem there when license comes through

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Goldenshower how are you,im afraid i cant help at the moment im in the same boat, cant decide on t3 223 or 308 for range shooting. Why did you choose .223 is 308 to big for fox,also was looking on the net at scopes in america i reckon big saving , look up s.w.f.a. also there are a few scopes on ebay (new) was talking to dealer today he said burris scopes were yery good, also look up burris scopes on net. Good luck by the way what did you pay for the t3 i was quoted 1500 or 1550 cant remember.

Howya japbyrne. Picked .223 cos from lots of lurking here seemed to be the best suited capability/cost wise. Plus .308 would prob be pushing my luck for 1st license. Read previous post about the AGS Vipir. Like the idea of the illuminated reticle but is the scope itself any good for my needs? Paying €1215 for rifle btw

Cant say i know,as i said the dealer i was talking to today about a t3 for my self recommend a burris scope. I personally am going to the range in tullamore to look at what the lads are shooting and the scopes they are useing,you cant go to far wrong then,also can you give me contact details for your gun shop,cheers.

• Advertisement

PM sent japbyrne

Thanks, hope you get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Nice choice rifle!!
    As for the scope AGS is very good for the ammount they cost!
    Arround 300 for 6-24x50 and 240-250 for 4-16x50! Bit cheaper on the web but less secure! IMO
    Both hav IR reticules and seem to keep zero well!
    I hav the 6-24 now on 223 and its worked perfect so far!
    As for the moderator well it depend on the local seargent! ours is perfect just signs the papers like its jus a passport form!! Probably helps its a small rural community!
    Good luck!
    Happy shooting

Hey pestshooter. Yeah was looking at that 6-24X50 in duffys but for similar money could have bushnell legend from same. was just wondering is there anything about either that makes it more suitable for any particular situations? deffo dont live in a rural community but when asked FO to put down moderator on cert as well didnt even blink so hopefully no probs. On fone to him yesterday and he said "had been sanctioned in dublin so just waiting for paperwork" so hopefully things will sail through:rolleyes:

Yea i noticed that to!
    Reason for the AGS is that there is more magnification 24x as opposed to 15x!
    There is a mildot reticule, and AGS are the same brand as simmons so the equal of the bushnell IMO! The bushnell has a thick reticule better for deer rather than fox and rabbit!
    Just my reasoning, but i bought in duffys aswell and the lads in the shop were all praise!

• Advertisement

got the bushnell today off dealer. twas the 5-15. he had one on a 527 and had a look through it at washing line bout 50 yrds away. could see it no probs and seemed quality(in my limited experience anyway!)dont know price bcos did it as part of package. doing scope, optilock mounts, bipod, carrying case for €550. is that a fair deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

bushnell are pretty good for budget as are the simmons whitetail classic.
    the SWFA site and prices are good but they'll only deal with american credit/debit cards and only ship to US addresses, but riflescopes.com are also very good on price and service for me was excellent. i got a 6-24x44 mildot bushnell from them and a WTC 6.5-20x56 both great scopes for the money.
    why did neither of you two look at a 243?
    Bryan

thought from reading previous posts that twould be the most suitable tbh. plus didnt wanna be pushing my luck with FO for 1st license. even my dealer told me he had sold another .223 to someone in my area and they were refused license. dont know his particular circumstances but said wouldn't chance my luck given the lucky dip nature of applications.:confused:

sounds very cheap,(i dont mean cheap stuff) whats the story with the muzzle break, did you get a price.

BryanL wrote: »
    bushnell are pretty good for budget as are the simmons whitetail classic.
    the SWFA site and prices are good but they'll only deal with american credit/debit cards and only ship to US addresses, but riflescopes.com are also very good on price and service for me was excellent. i got a 6-24x44 mildot bushnell from them and a WTC 6.5-20x56 both great scopes for the money.
    why did neither of you two look at a 243?
    Bryan

Reasons for the 223 is that ammo is cheaper! Recoil is less! and licence would b harder to get for 243! 243 is 2 bucks a shot!! And less choice of ammo!! jus some reasons for my choice!

They are pretty much the reasons I applied for .223 over .243/6.5,etc. I mean it will do pretty much all I need/am capable of for time being and am not being unrealistic at same time. It just seems the best balanced round for me in my particular circumstances at the mo. I mean like in an ideal world would love a .338, etc. but.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

that ammo is cheaper!

IMO and in my experience cheaper ammo, eg remmy umc, is no good especially out of anything with a 1-9 or 1-8 twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

yep . mostly you get what you pay for .

I would agree there alright!
    You get what you pay for but, UMC ammo for the purpose of running in the barrel and plinling its ok!!
    I use Remmy 55 Grain accu tip-v or horandy v-max for foxes and the likes!
    But the other stuf is good for the rest!!

Advertisement