Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating

Options
  • 16-01-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

What do the ladies think of online dating?

I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm not sure...

My friend did it undercover for the ryan tubridy she and got an awful lot of weirdos mailing her. As well as that she discovered another friend of mine on it - that was weird because I'd never have thought him the type.
    Why do you want to do it though? Would you not rather go out to bars etc and meet people there?
    I'm kinda dating a guy at the mo that I met on bebo after not seeing him in years - and we built up a great friendship through email before I actually met him - so I guess thats pretty similar.

This post isn't going to help you much I guess - as I don't really know myself! Sorry!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've done online dating a few times, and I have to say, I've never met anyone through it. There are a lot of weird, really persistent guys out there, and they kind of freaked me out and turned me off to the whole thing. I'm sure there are nice guys in the online dating world too, but I have yet to give it another go.
    Now my mom had a really good experience with online dating. She saw several men she met through a site and began a long term relationship with one. They've been together 2-3 years and are set to move in together within the year.

I don't really have an opinion on it. I prefer to meet someone face to face.
    But if your chronically shy or have poor social skills it might be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't really have an opinion on it. I prefer to meet someone face to face.
    But if your chronically shy or have poor social skills it might be good for you.

Fair enough if you prefer to meet someone face to face but its not just for those that are shy or have poor social skills - a person could be in a job where they don't get to work with many member of the opposite sex, or they may not drink/go to the pub, or they may not be involved in sports or groups etc so can't meet people that way. It's possible and I think in that situation its a good option for them.
    OP I think it's worth a go, once you're sensible and don't do anything like give someone your home address or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

A girl i work with is engaged to marry a guy she met online..i'm not sure how long she was doing it for though.
    I guess you can be lucky....or not.

• Advertisement

milli wrote: »
    Fair enough if you prefer to meet someone face to face but its not just for those that are shy or have poor social skills - a person could be in a job where they don't get to work with many member of the opposite sex, or they may not drink/go to the pub, or they may not be involved in sports or groups etc so can't meet people that way. It's possible and I think in that situation its a good option for them.
    OP I think it's worth a go, once you're sensible and don't do anything like give someone your home address or something!

I was actually thinking of people I have met out recently, a high proportion of men anyway, that are left on the self at my age have poor social skills.
    I think online dating would work better for these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

I've online dated, my only proper 'relationship' was with a guy I had met online, had a couple of other dates before him.
    I think, the most important things when joining/on a site are
    *these apply to guys AND girls*
    - to be as honest as you can in your profile
    - to upload a pic or two, will get you noticed moreso than not having one
    - if there is someone that catches your eye - DO NOT rush into meeting them/giving phone numbers until you're sure of them
    - Don't expect too much too soon - most people need to date around a bit before they find someone they're truly comfortable with
    - and ALWAYS tell a friend when you're meeting someone, tell them where and when and a few details about the person (maybe even a contact number)

A lot of it IS common sense but you'd be surprised how many people get carried away and race into meeting people. Take your time and don't feel obliged to meet someone.
    Enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Tried it and met 2 nice guys through it. Once met the first guy once as there was no chemistry but met the other guy 6 / 8 times. Fizzled out in the end but it was good fun...

Am going to try again in a few weeks once I get my head together a bit more.

Definitely worth doing. Go for it... Its not all looney's - look at me :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Op

I've done it on and off over the last number of years, two relationships were a year long each and since then I've had a few dates, I have met very few weirdos, it is easy enough to weed them out but it is trial and error.

Milli has hit the nail on the head re: people who join, do so for various reasons. I don't feel the pub/club scene works anymore, plus once you hit a certain age it gets harder because most of my friends are married so don't do out much, I might only go out 6-8 times a year, I know that is pathetic but it is the way things are at the moment due to friends being attached and my personal circumstances with home/work life.

I have recently joined a dating site and judging by the number of people joining loads of people are doing it. The few things I would recommend is use a decent photo, whilst I try to look beyond a picture, a good photo will lure women in, and when I say good, that is full face, clear quality, no stupid faces/looking angry, preferbly smiley, I take terrible pictures and used to put ****e photos up and got very little response so I had to eat humble pie and improve them somewhat. I also think a fairly comprehensive profile helps, ie: if you like reading/ the outdoors/ it gives an idea of what you are interested in and a tiny glimpse of who you are. Get to know someone online a bit before meeting, considering you are boardsie user you are probably fairly okay at reading between the lines via mails, so it gives you an idea of a person. If a person has a great photo, sounds great on e-mail and the phone be prepared that there may be no chemistry in real life, in other words don't get carried away until after you have met the person, (I made that mistake in the past), you won't know until you meet the person, in my opinion that is the only disadvantage to the online experience, one can meet weirdos in the pub just as much as online (and I have in my time). If you do decide to go ahead the very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To be totally honest, the "stigma" attached to online dating services would for now put me off it.

I dont seem to have a problem meeting women, but meeting the one that makes me smile just to think of her alludes me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

All these people bashing Online Dating need to wake up and smell the 21st century coffee. Times change, dating techniques change. Over the years Pighead has seen at least 3 couples get together because of an initial date via a dating website.

Fair enough 2 of those cases ended in divorce and the other one ended in a grisly murder where the chick was strangled, beaten to death, strangled again just to be sure and then thrown down the stairs but thats not really relevant here.

Online dating is here. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Pighead wrote: »
    All these people bashing Online Dating need to wake up and smell the 21st century coffee. Times change, dating techniques change. Over the years Pighead has seen at least 3 couples get together because of an initial date via a dating website.

Fair enough 2 of those cases ended in divorce and the other one ended in a grisly murder where the chick was strangled, beaten to death, strangled again just to be sure and then thrown down the stairs but thats not really relevant here.

Online dating is here. Deal with it.

I wasnt bashing it, i cant bash somthing ive no expierence of doing, i just stated how i feel presently about it.
    ... but you done a nice job putting me off it for another 10 years.. its right behind a 17 year old thai bride now in my options :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Go for it, lots of good and bad reports....you won't know til you try! Just be careful and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Go for it, lots of good and bad reports....you won't know til you try! Just be careful and have fun.

QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Clare Bear wrote: »

Exactly! And don't worry about what people think either, it could work out really well for you, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

I would say go for it. You might meet a few weirdos but sure you could do that anyway. Someone very close to me met their wife on a dating website so I would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

times are a changing and pubs / clubs do not suit everyone. Give it a go, but use your common sense. Life is all about experiences isn't it? - good bad or indifferent. Will be dying to hear how it goes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I'll be killed for this :p
    I have and currently trying it,from previous expereince I think its a great way to meet people. I have come across one odd ball (female) while in all the other situations I have met great interesting people. I have met some that although the "click / spark" wasnt there for a relationship I have made some great friends and people that I meet still from it.

I think it opens not only your view of other people but it defo gives you a better chance of expanding your search. There is only so many people that you can meet while in a pub or night club. If your worried about people taking the piss out of you for trying it compare the alternative.

A website where you get to meet someone, chat with them, excahnge mails maybe even some pictures, get to know them in a way (as long as their honest) and then meet up and see if the spark is there.

In a pub, I wont say most of the time but in general, music loud and its hard to hear, possibly your both trollied :p

Now tell me which one sounds worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

I joined an online dating site before, good laugh, one lad in particular I have never met, but we have had some very funny conversations either online or via text, but never actually met him, came close a few times but nothing ever came of it. On the same site, I also found a lad from home who I know a bit about but he wouldn't know me (I'm not a crazy stalker!!) anyway we got a bit of a conversation going, the poor thing was driven demented, we had a friend in common and he told her about this one he was chatting to online that knew all about him, she told me and when I told her she just about wet herself, we told him then, and now me and him are very good friends!
    I had a friend go to speed dating, and some older fella told her she was too young to be there!! she was disgusted!
    I go to the pub for fun, to have a laugh, not to pick up, if it by chance happens, it's a bonus, but it's not the main reason I go out. It is very hard to meet people and online dating is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

I think online dating is way more popular than we think and I'm sure whether you think it or not at least one of your friends has given it a go. I for one have a really good friend who met her fiancee online and he's pretty much the perfect guy, when we all found out how she met him we all went on that site but weren't as lucky as her unfortunately....but still hoping, it's getting more popular and there's more people joining every day. People in this country are just not as open minded as other countries. In time it'll be the norm but I think it'll take a while.

Who cares how you meet someone anyway. If I meet my soulmate online I'll be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

meet my bf on myspace. spent a few weeks arguing over things which grew to friendship and then we noticed we thought eachother was fit and then we met... now we're living together and have been together for a year and a half.

i think as long as you dont take it too serious it should be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

meet my bf on myspace. spent a few weeks arguing over things which grew to friendship and then we noticed we thought eachother was fit and then we met... now we're living together and have been together for a year and a half.

i think as long as you dont take it too serious it should be fine!

Ah that's cool :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just another way to meet lads. Just be sure to meet in a public place for the first time in person, maybe with friends.

Advertisement