Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband reveals 12Mbps service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the price is still ridicilous compared to any other country. What 'home' user could afford 159 a month for internet access, 12 meg which is basic minimum in most other countrys at about 20 euro a month.

also since its adsl2+ why arent they offering the whole 24meg service for that inflated price since adsl2+ is capable of those speeds weather the end users can get it or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

with the exception of Japan & korea, name these "most other countrys" to which you speak of with examples of for 20e a month :)

I'm just curious since people always seem to say this but yet they don't give valid examples, they also use this example when they talk about Irish ISP's having caps but and that "many other ISP's in other countrys don't"....while I don't doubt some ISP's in some countrys do offering cheap fast Broadband you'll find there is some kind of catch to these services and they hardly apply to "most countrys"

Sorry...I'm just not a fan of sweeping statements :)

Its worth noting that IBB's offering is far far better then Eircoms highest business package of 6MB for 169e (ex VAT)..based on available info from http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/,

enn.ie's take on this
    Irish Broadband has launched a 12Mb mainstream broadband service. The Home Pro and Business Pro products provide customers with speeds of 12Mb downstream and 1Mb upstream. The company will connect users for free and the service costs EUR159 per month excluding VAT. The service comes with no download cap and is currently available in 40 ADSL2+ enabled exchanges in Dublin and Kildare. "DSL Pro 12mbps is aimed at…small to medium sized businesses, companies working with large files or even people working from home. It would also be attractive to residential users who want a top-of-the range broadband experience for such activities as enhanced video streaming," Ruairi Jennings, commercial director of Irish Broadband said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This is just the resale of eircoms product from their newly upgraded adsl2+ exchanges though isn't it, hardly worthy news when all the other resellers will be selling a 12 meg product as well .
    Gonzo wrote: »
    also since its adsl2+ why arent they offering the whole 24meg service for that inflated price since adsl2+ is capable of those speeds weather the end users can get it or not.
    The extra costs involved for the extra backhaul would probably be huge. Not to mention because of the disgraceful state of the copper anyone not living beside the exchange just wouldn't be able to get near 24meg, 12 meg would be much easier to provide a mile or two from the exchange than 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Cabaal wrote: »
    with the exception of Japan & korea, name these "most other countrys" to which you speak of with examples of for 20e a month :)

Abel isp in holland 14.95 for 20 mb download and thats just one of many providers offering 20 mb for normal prices

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

weisses wrote: »
    Abel isp in holland 14.95 for 20 mb download and thats just one of many providers offering 20 mb for normal prices

one of many in holland or the world? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Eircom are releasing 12MB too in the next weeks, it's ADSL2+ and there will be a Public Service Announcement soon.

I wonder what their prices will be like...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

one of many in holland or the world? :)

In the world. Its a big place that stretches into the distance beyond Ireland lest anyone ask ! Our competitors in the global knowledge economy lurk out there , laughing heartily at our pathetic small minded definitions of both 'fast' and of 'value'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I'm just curious since people always seem to say this but yet they don't give valid examples, they also use this example when they talk about Irish ISP's having caps but and that "many other ISP's in other countrys don't"....while I don't doubt some ISP's in some countrys do offering cheap fast Broadband you'll find there is some kind of catch to these services and they hardly apply to "most countrys"

Fair enough. A random selection from nearby countries.

UK
    TalkTalk: £5.89 per month for up to 8Mb + £10.50 line rental
    The catch? Unlimited evening and weekend calls to local and national UK landline numbers, Unlimited international ANYTIME calls to 36 International destinations worldwide, Calls to mobiles in the USA & Canada are also included at no extra charge, Free unlimited calls to other TalkTalk customers.

France
    Free.fr: €29.99 per month for up to 28Mb
    The catch? 200 free TV channels, Free phone calls to 70 destinations.

Italy
    Tiscali: €9.95 per month for up to 8Mb
    The catch? None that I can see but then again I don't speak Italian!

The biggest problem with giving examples is trying to work out if you're comparing like for like in a language you don't understand. Nevertheless, even the best deals in Ireland come nowhere close to these.

Even in Norway where nearly half the country is above the Artic Circle and they have the same population as here but MUCH more difficult terrain ....its €59 a month for 20mbits .

http://www.nextgentel.no/privat/bredband/

and becuase there are no rubbish installs or split lines more or less everyone in Norway can get at least 750k even where the ****ing sun don't shine half the year above the Artic Circle :) ; whereas here only about 75% can get any form of Broadband from eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Even in Norway where nearly half the country is above the Artic Circle and they have the same population as here but MUCH more difficult terrain ....its €59 a month for 20mbits .

http://www.nextgentel.no/privat/bredband/

and becuase there are no rubbish installs or split lines more or less everyone in Norway can get at least 750k even where the ****ing sun don't shine half the year above the Artic Circle :) ; whereas here only about 75% can get any form of Broadband from eircom.

Haha!Yes and here are we just taking it up the arse and people get excited at the prospect of handing over extortionate amounts of money for a decent speeds:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Eircom have the 12mb product on their site. You need to click on Business and then go into the broadband section. There's a wee ad down the bottom of the page that says "12mb broadband available in certain locations" which brings you through to another page with details:

12Mb Business Enhanced

Introducing eircoms fastest downlaod (typo on their site, not mine lol) and upload speeds of 12Mb/1Mb Plus unlimited download and upload allowance.

Currently available in 40 exchanges

12Mb Business Enhanced
    €169* per month (ex VAT)

Are you interested? Please contact your account manager or call 1800 242 558 to find out more

So the price for the average Joe is going to be 204.49 inc vat. This is a flipping disgrace. I noticed BT's 8mb package is going for 26.50 (in a bundle though). Eircom are having a laugh as usual.

Paul

flamegrill wrote: »
    Eircom are having a laugh as usual.

and so are Comreg, this product got the all explicit clear from Comreg before it was launched . They spent months nattering to eircom about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

204 euro though ????? wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Crazy crazy crazy price! The only thing for this is for the EU to step in at this stage..................nothing else seems to get things moving.

flamegrill wrote: »
    204 euro though ????? wtf???

Comreg consider €204 to be jolly good value for 12mbits so hould your whisht .....just like they considered €109 to be a jolly good price for entry level 512k less than 5 years back in fact .

Comreg could have noticed that BT were rolling out 8mbits in Dublin and Kildare too ( funny co - incidence that ) and that eircom were only bothered to compete where BT had already offered 2/3 the package at about 1/4 the price...albeit with a cap .

But Comreg noticed no such thing, all must be well so .

Onikage wrote: »
    Fair enough. A random selection from nearby countries.

UK
    TalkTalk: £5.89 per month for up to 8Mb + £10.50 line rental
    The catch? Unlimited evening and weekend calls to local and national UK landline numbers, Unlimited international ANYTIME calls to 36 International destinations worldwide, Calls to mobiles in the USA & Canada are also included at no extra charge, Free unlimited calls to other TalkTalk customers.

I'll have to check the rest, but the above has a 40GB cap (so much for saying other countrys don't have caps) as well as a FUP that they throttle P2P traffic with at peak times and if your not in a LLU area its more expensive :)

Its also worth noting that although many ISP's in the UK provide there broadband as upto 8MB and you can get these speeds if your close to the exchange etc, the average speed received by most customers is actually around 4-5MB.

Oh look more capped broadband - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080116-leaked-memo-time-warner-cable-to-trial-hard-bandwidth-caps.html

Not saying its right but the reality of things is Ireland is actually with the vast majority of users in the world when it comes to caps and FUP's, speed and price could improve more here but the rest I doubt will change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Anybody got a list of these 40 exchanges Eircom have upgraded to adsl2+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Has the price of Eircom's 6 meg package gone down so???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

6 meg is staying the same price. They would lose alot of money if they reduced the price of the 6meg. 12 meg only available on certain exchanges for the same price. Makes sense for eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

• Advertisement

I've ordered the free upgrade with eircom for our work dsl line and an engineer should be calling me back in a day or so to confirm an appointment. He has to come out and fiddle with the line apparently and there is about an hour down time. Our 6 x 1/2 m/bit line passed the prequal test for adsl2+ 12 m/bit. It should be all done in 10 working days total. I'll let you all know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

this country is a fu*kin joke.

any1 got a link to the bt package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It is over priced and I wouldn't get it at that price but as more of these products come into the market, they are more likely to get cheaper. I suspect they're not offering 24Mbps yet as they need scope to offer upgrades. Yes we're still behind most of Europe and probably Asia too but new products should always be welcomed.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It is over priced and I wouldn't get it at that price but as more of these products come into the market, they are more likely to get cheaper. I suspect they're not offering 24Mbps yet as they need scope to offer upgrades. Yes we're still behind most of Europe and probably Asia too but new products should always be welcomed.

Agreed 100%, the problem is this should have happened 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Interesting discussion...

What do people here think is a fair price for a 12Mbps residential and 12Mbps Business service? I would be genuinely very interested! Maybe I should do a poll...??

60 per month for residential maximum imo

No more than €35

No more than €35

Praetorian is being alot more realistic about this I see :)
    I'd have to agree with him, 12MB for 60e is realistic in Ireland, 12MB for 35e or less just ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Lets be atleast alittle realistic for the near future lads :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

12meg Residential broadband should be no more than 50 euro a month. Basically everybody should be on 6meg to 12 meg for home users with 18 to 24 for the business users. Of course this is Ireland and were stuck on 1,2 and 3meg for that price with no signs of any upgrades this year for folk outside of Dublin and the larger towns. If eircom up the speeds in the cities to 6meg+ for those lucky enough to live on the large exchanges then it only seems fair the rest of us stuck on 1,2 and 3meg shud have cheaper prices by then to compensate for lack of speed increase.

• Advertisement

crawler wrote: »
    Interesting discussion...

What do people here think is a fair price for a 12Mbps residential and 12Mbps Business service? I would be genuinely very interested! Maybe I should do a poll...??

My answer is still €35.

Advertisement