Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband reveals 12Mbps service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Would love to avail of 12Mbps for Min €30 - Max €60*

* For 60 I'd expect line rental to be included in the price and not as part of a Talk bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Somebody asked for the exchange list :

BALLYBODEN LUCAN BALLYDOWD
    BALLYCOOLIN MALAHIDE
    BEGGARS BUSH MAYNOOTH
    BELCAMP MERRION
    BLANCHARDSTOWN NANGOR ROAD
    BRAY NEWLANDS CROSS
    CABRA NORTH MAIN
    CELBRIDGE NUTLEY
    CLONTARF PORTMARNOCK
    COOLOCK PRIORY PARK
    CROWN ALLEY RATHCOOLE
    CRUMLIN RATHMINES
    CUSTOMS HS DOCKS; ROCHESTOWN
    DOLPHINS BARN SANDYFORD AEH
    DUNDRUM SANDYFORD
    DUN LAOGHAIRE SHANKILL
    EASTPOINT SUMMERHILL
    FINGLAS SUTTON
    FOXROCK SWORDS
    LEIXLIP TERENURE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT charge about €55 a month for 8mbits from the following exchanges.

Tallaght Beggers Bush Terenure Clondalkin Dolphins Barn Naas North Main Swords Dun Laoghaire Summerhill Merrion Blanchardstown Crown Alley Nutley Dooradoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Gonzo wrote: »
    the price is still ridicilous compared to any other country. What 'home' user could afford 159 a month for internet access

Actually it's €192.39 including VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Praetorian wrote: »
    Somebody asked for the exchange list :

BALLYBODEN LUCAN BALLYDOWD
    BALLYCOOLIN MALAHIDE
    BEGGARS BUSH MAYNOOTH
    BELCAMP MERRION
    BLANCHARDSTOWN NANGOR ROAD
    BRAY NEWLANDS CROSS
    CABRA NORTH MAIN
    CELBRIDGE NUTLEY
    CLONTARF PORTMARNOCK
    COOLOCK PRIORY PARK
    CROWN ALLEY RATHCOOLE
    CRUMLIN RATHMINES
    CUSTOMS HS DOCKS; ROCHESTOWN
    DOLPHINS BARN SANDYFORD AEH
    DUNDRUM SANDYFORD
    DUN LAOGHAIRE SHANKILL
    EASTPOINT SUMMERHILL
    FINGLAS SUTTON
    FOXROCK SWORDS
    LEIXLIP TERENURE

ffs.. thats pretty much all the main exchanges in Dublin except Santry! The amount of business up here by the airport that are all on the santry exchange and they dont bother upgrading it :(

• Advertisement

I'm just as sore about Balbriggan not being done lynchie lets hope they get to us soon eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

More than likely they'll be done soon enough and then they'll probably focus on the other cities, Cork, Limerick, Galway.

And once they're done the larger towns, Athlone, Dundalk & Drogheda will be done.

Are IBB using Eircom's DSL 12Mbps upgrades or are they putting their own kit into the exchanges??

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Something tells me that 2008 will be a very interesting year on the broadband front. Some of the things that I hear that are coming:

- upgrades of existing 2, 3, 4 and 6 Mbps products over the next 6 to 8 months to new speeds ranging from 3Mbps up to 12 Mbps

- increase in the number of exchanges that can have ADSL2+ services turned on from the existing 40 up to more than 100 by the end of June (will include Santry, Balbriggan and most large exchanges nationwide)

- reduction in the price of all products agreed with Comreg (current prices are fixed by Comreg)

So, all I can say further at this point is "watch this space"

cerbeus wrote: »
    More than likely they'll be done soon enough and then they'll probably focus on the other cities, Cork, Limerick, Galway.

And once they're done the larger towns, Athlone, Dundalk & Drogheda will be done.

Are IBB using Eircom's DSL 12Mbps upgrades or are they putting their own kit into the exchanges??

IBB are definitely reselling Eircom's 12 m/bit.

I hope your right Grommet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cabaal wrote: »
    one of many in holland or the world? :)
    https://www.bethere.co.uk/broadband.do
    http://offres.neuf.fr/adsl/adsl/offres-adsl-internet.html
    http://offres.neuf.fr/fibre_optique/home-fibre-optique.html

For one of the wealthiest countries in the world Ireland is really lagging behind in bb speeds. I understand that because we have less population density overall in the countryside it would be too expensive for telecom companies to invest but there is no excuse for it in the cities where there is ample market size.
    http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Images/commentarynews/broadbandspeedchart.jpg

• Advertisement

Grommet wrote: »
    (current prices are fixed by Comreg)

So, all I can say further at this point is "watch this space"

Yeah, Comreg tell EVERYONE they don't regulate BB :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Thanks all for your comments - appreciated & noted :)

crawler wrote: »
    Thanks all for your comments - appreciated & noted :)

Well once eircom gets outside Dublin they will be up against a MAN , so far the product is curiously only available where the MAN option is not.

10 up and 10 down and 1:1 contention will cost €1000-€1200 a month in the other big cities . Thats uncapped and on a MAN .

A company may look at say €1200 a month as 'a lot ' compared to somewhat similar 8:1 contention 12 up and 1 down DSL at €200 a month .

However the difference between the two is only about €12k a year and if you get more productivity/fast clear voip for your existing employees you would be daft not to go for the MAN package .

It strikes me that the limited uplink speed on a 'top' package is designed to protect voice traffic as much as anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It strikes me that the limited uplink speed on a 'top' package is designed to protect voice traffic as much as anything .

Yep I suspect this has been the case for years.

Some operators throughout Europe are shipping ADSL2+ in near 24m/bit configurations with 2.5 m/bit up, so Eircom aren't near the limit. As a user speculated, they are leaving room for 3-4 years of upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

crawler, I thought the norm these days is to just sell 24Mbps at a flate rate and the customer gets whatever speed they get.

I'm on one of those exchanges and my line is a bit ****e. If I get an ADSL2+ modem, will I avail of ADSL2+ line quality despite being on the 3Mbps service? I don't get a stable 3Mbps now.

Blaster99, looks like you won't get any more speed if you are currently struggling to get 3m/bit right now.

See chart on this page.

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/extreme/

To double check put your stats in here

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Good info, thanks.

I'm running the modem in PPoE mode or whatever it's called so it's a bit of pain to access it, but I think from memory the attenuation is something like 65dB, so it looks like it's in the area where ADSL2+ does nothing for me. I get occassional noise bursts (I'm guessing) and the speed can drop to 1Mbps but somewhere between 2-3Mbps is normal. If the exchange is ADSL2+ across the board, I might pick up a cheap modem or router on eBay to see if it makes any difference.

I have a Linksys and a Netgear and one gets noticeably more strength than the other, but I don't think a new modem will perform miracles :(

Might be worth your while googling the best adsl modem for signal strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

one thing i'd like to say, ADSL 2+ 12Mbits, eircoms bitstream product, all the ISP's will be able to provide this, it's not a thing to hit the news with,

Like IBB got a pre-wimax network, call it that if you wish. they should be moving more bandwidth on the wireless end of things then anything, else, like the equipment is speced to do 10Mbits+ !! and it will only be supperseeded with 3years so, start making the most of the network and deliver bandwidth thats worth talking about!

• Advertisement

one thing i'd like to say, ADSL 2+ 12Mbits, eircoms bitstream product, all the ISP's will be able to provide this, it's not a thing to hit the news with,

Like IBB got a pre-wimax network, call it that if you wish. they should be moving more bandwidth on the wireless end of things then anything, else, like the equipment is speced to do 10Mbits+ !! and it will only be supperseeded with 3years so, start making the most of the network and deliver bandwidth thats worth talking about!

It's a big deal for most Irish customers who can avail of it. I've little or no faith in wireless technologies. I think they are unreliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Praetorian wrote: »
    It's a big deal for most Irish customers who can avail of it. I've little or no faith in wireless technologies. I think they are unreliable!

That's like saying cars are unreliable. It depends on the technology used and how well it's deployed, just like everything else. It can be and is just as reliable as DSL or cable modems if it's decent technology run correctly. There's more than one ISP in the country doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Moriarty wrote: »
    [Saying wireless broadband is unreliable is] like saying cars are unreliable. It depends on the technology used and how well it's deployed, just like everything else. It can be and is just as reliable as DSL or cable modems if it's decent technology run correctly. There's more than one ISP in the country doing that.

Shame that Irish Broadband isn't one of them.

If their 12 Mbps service is run the same way as their 2 Mbps was when I used it, users will be lucky to manage 300 kbps or so ;-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Does anybody know if Eircom (I know this is probably a stupid question but will ask anyways) will be doing a upgrade to us home premium, starter etc customers? Think were paying near €50 a month for crappy 3 meg!! (Not even proper 3 meg as it seems to score quite poorly in speedtest.net, blackknights test etc...). I think were all entitled to an upgrade in fairness hasnt it been at least 3 years since the last one? Think it jumped from 2 to 3 meg, wowz....

Nick

They may push 2 up to 3 and 3 up to 4 but will have to keep 1 at 1 for all those ****ty lines out there.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They may push 2 up to 3 and 3 up to 4 but will have to keep 1 at 1 for all those ****ty lines out there.
    In fairness Sponge Bob, I would have accepted that maybe 3 years ago but I think we need a proper upgrade, this country and broadband is going beyond a joke at this stage! Be There UK broadband company do unlimited 24mb (Varyable compared to how near exchange you are which is fair enough) but most people seem to be able to get 20meg, Virgin etc simular... All for around £24 a month... Irelands a utter disgrace

Nick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im hoping that if we ever get upgraded this year outside Dublin that we should at least go from 3meg to 6meg afterall its over 2 years since any upgrade and in that space of time the uk has gone from 2meg to 8+meg, and up to 24 in other places. If eircom upgraded the 1meg to 2, the 2meg to 4 and the 3meg to 6 they can do it nationwide coz those speeds are all still within the standard adsl range. If this doesnt happen at all this year its gonna be very dissapointing, I hope I still wont be sitting on 3meg @ 49 euro ringing in 2009.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im hoping that if we ever get upgraded this year outside Dublin that we should at least go from 3meg to 6meg afterall its over 2 years since any upgrade and in that space of time the uk has gone from 2meg to 8+meg, and up to 24 in other places. If eircom upgraded the 1meg to 2, the 2meg to 4 and the 3meg to 6 they can do it nationwide coz those speeds are all still within the standard adsl range. If this doesnt happen at all this year its gonna be very dissapointing, I hope I still wont be sitting on 3meg @ 49 euro ringing in 2009.
    Big time man thats a realistic (But still poor compared to other countries) upgrade we SHOULD get, lets hope more proper competition comes into irish broadband, its really needed now

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    In fairness Sponge Bob, I would have accepted that maybe 3 years ago but I think we need a proper upgrade, this country and broadband is going beyond a joke at this stage!

You will accept what you get, if anything , thats the clear message from Minister Ryan and from eircom .

Minister Ryan fears more that the OECD does not take our sexual habits fully into account as he told a TD late last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209640
    Eamonn Ryan "The OECD assessment understates Ireland’s competitive position as regards broadband access due to the larger size of households in Ireland "

Its not so much a case of 'the country being screwed' in that dopes eyes as a case of 'the country not getting enough international credit for screwing' .

If Ryan is that completely stupid , and I am afraid that he is , then where is the political will to fix anything ????

The TD that accepted that monkeysh1t as an answer is equally culpable.

Where there is no will there is , of course , 12mbits for €200 and the highest line rental on the planet before you get any BB at all.

The chief of eBay Ireland today described Ireland , correctly , thus.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Business/Technology&id=82254&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business
    I was literally deluged with letters of support from people from other ecommerce firms, and even people from state agencies, simply for bringing up the whole issue. Really I feel there was an element of pointing out that the emperor was naked

The emperor has very little between the ears either :(

• Advertisement

I still think its a disgrace, cant even watch the HD movies from Game Trailers streaming without pauses at home, in college fine of course :) Absolute disgrace, I'd be gone long ago from eircom, but dads deciding their best :P What would he know :D. Looks like allot of crap from another of our wonderful politicians Sponge Bob... 3g broadband is best for ireland, lol, 5 gig cap ftw :)

Nick

Advertisement