Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband reveals 12Mbps service

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

How would I find out which BT exchange I'm connected through?

I'm currently on their 3mb Broadband package. Will the upgrade to 8mb be automatic if and when it's possible, or will I have to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Moriarty wrote: »
    That's like saying cars are unreliable. It depends on the technology used and how well it's deployed, just like everything else. It can be and is just as reliable as DSL or cable modems if it's decent technology run correctly. There's more than one ISP in the country doing that.

It's not like saying that at all. I've personally experienced the joke that is IBB. Erratic service, constant dropped packets, erratic pings, service dropping completely for no reason. At home I've struggled with the same kind of problems with Linksys, Netgear and Dlink wireless routers. Wireless technology suffers from interference from bad weather and frequency congestion. I can't believe you just said "It can be and is just as reliable as DSL or cable modems". Two friends of mine share a Digiweb wireless connection and they experience down time frequently. Wireless isn't even on the same ball park for reliability as cable or dsl. I could go on and on and mention things like security too...
    Im hoping that if we ever get upgraded this year outside Dublin that we should at least go from 3meg to 6meg afterall its over 2 years since any upgrade and in that space of time the uk has gone from 2meg to 8+meg, and up to 24 in other places. If eircom upgraded the 1meg to 2, the 2meg to 4 and the 3meg to 6 they can do it nationwide coz those speeds are all still within the standard adsl range. If this doesnt happen at all this year its gonna be very dissapointing, I hope I still wont be sitting on 3meg @ 49 euro ringing in 2009.

Gonzo, my hopes as well, although maybe eircom will treat us to something even better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

they can do it nationwide coz those speeds are all still within the standard adsl range

Unfortunately they cant do it nationwide. Like this new 12mbps service from IBB and all the other bitstream resellers not only do you requre to be within distance of the enabled exchange your line has to reach certain standard. The more data and transmission you send via a phone line ie 1mb up to 6mb the more strain and increase in noise lvl you create on that line. The main issue in this country with upgrading is. While BT in the UK spend millions if not more on not only upgrading exchanges they upgraded the whole infrastructure including MANY access infrastructure (customer lines) this allowed them to be able to put this large capacity broadband on the lines while Eircom as it stands at the moment are investing in their network infrastructure but the access infrastructure (correct me if I'm wrong, I could very well be) is still the one we had 10 yrs ago and therefore nationwide is not possible.

Even new housing going up for e.g. in Navan I have come across people who have moved into a new house new Eircom line but they can't get any more than 1 Mb on their line, why???? Cause the access exchange to customer is in poopage land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Unfortunately they cant do it nationwide. Like this new 12mbps service from IBB and all the other bitstream resellers not only do you requre to be within distance of the enabled exchange your line has to reach certain standard. The more data and transmission you send via a phone line ie 1mb up to 6mb the more strain and increase in noise lvl you create on that line. The main issue in this country with upgrading is. While BT in the UK spend millions if not more on not only upgrading exchanges they upgraded the whole infrastructure including MANY access infrastructure (customer lines) this allowed them to be able to put this large capacity broadband on the lines while Eircom as it stands at the moment are investing in their network infrastructure but the access infrastructure (correct me if I'm wrong, I could very well be) is still the one we had 10 yrs ago and therefore nationwide is not possible.

Even new housing going up for e.g. in Navan I have come across people who have moved into a new house new Eircom line but they can't get any more than 1 Mb on their line, why???? Cause the access exchange to customer is in poopage land.

i would totally agree with that!! for example, an newly built multi million euro business estate was built in Claregalway, Galway with out proper fibre access!!!! nothing at all! even thought it's very close to the exchange it still make no sense not to pull a POP in connected to the Galway MAM. I wonldn't even give the place planning if they didn't run fibre to each of the building.

Advertisement