Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading gfx

Options
  • 16-01-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Recently bought an nvidia reference 8800gtx from ocuk however the thing arrived bent out of shape and i sent it back for a refund.
    I run a 22" monitor mostly at 1440x900 res sometimes at 1680x1050 and play the latest games Crysis,COD4 etc........ Since im getting a full refund i have about 360euro to spend.I suppose i could get another cheap gtx but im not sure that a gtx is the card to best serve my needs.
    Ive been thinking along the lines of an 8800gt or the new 8800gts. The 3870xt also seems quite reasonably priced.I run an e6600 and 2gigs of ram. Anyone any opinions on the best bang for buck card atm to run a 22" screen smoothly(possibly a second monitor sitting on desktop aswell).
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Lucky you.....

You can get a 8800GT with Tomb Raider Anniversary off an ebay seller with over 79000 positive feedback for €210 delivered.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVidia-GeForce-8800GT-SONIC-512MB-8800-GT-PCI-E-PCIE_W0QQitemZ230211256539QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3762QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

You wont beat that deal anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Thats a fairly solid looking deal. But ive been stung on ebay before, buying from a user with a solid reputation and id be pretty hesitant about buying such an expensive and delicate piece of hardware from there again.

Well ive narrowed my options down given the money ive got to spend on upgrading.
    I can either go with a new 8800gts by itself.

Or i can sack my old cheap 2 gigs of 533mhz ram and buy an 8800gt 512mb with some nice new ram for roughly the same price.
    Anyone here have a clue as to which of these options would yield better performance?
    Or anyone have a better plan c?
    all advice welcome yet again.

Advertisement