Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Something Fresh

• 16-01-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Was just mooching through the old CD collection for something to listen to in the car and realized that I'm bored of my music collection. Been listening to the same stuff for too long now (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Tool, Metallica, Megadeth, RATM etc etc). The usual suspects...

The only thing that seems to be ringing any bells with me lately is A Perfect Circle...

Anyone any suggestions on how I might brighten my horizons here?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The last two bands I got music from were:
    • Tol - Ukranian Metal. I find it interesting because I've no idea what they're singing about :). Their MySpace page is here.
    • To-Mera - English Progressive Metal. Odd time signatures, abrupt style changes, this band has it all. Their MySpace page is here.
    Hopefully that's of some help to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Have you tried, dream theater, children of bodom, in flames or warmen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Haven't really listen to any of these chaps, will give them a go...thanks for the suggestions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

A man who is tired of Zeppelin is tired of life, however try the Mars Volta they'll put some led in your pencil;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Feelgood wrote: »
    Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Tool, Metallica, Megadeth, RATM etc etc). The usual suspects...

If you're like me, then your problem is that, while some of these bands are great, they aren't brutal enough, and that gets old after awhile. You'd want something heavier, dirtier, more brutal. I recommend:

Killing Joke,
    Cannibal Corpse,
    Deicide,
    And Necrophagist.

For starters anyway.

Then again, this could be exactly what you're looking for: The Mad capsule Markets. They changed my view of music forever.

• Advertisement

MoominPapa wrote: »
    A man who is tired of Zeppelin is tired of life
    :confused: Why? There's plenty of new music around without having to go back to bands that your father/grandfather listened to!
    Feelgood wrote:
    I'm bored of my music collection.
    What exactly is boring you about your music collection? Are you interested in listening to heavier stuff, softer stuff, faster stuff, slower stuff? If you can figure out what you want to hear it will be a lot easier to direct yourself to it. You probably know this already but Last.fm is useful for finding bands that sound like other bands just by entering names in the box on the main page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Ok I love Zeppelin, but you have to be in the mood to listen to them. They aren't an all day band really.

Whats boring me about my collection is this...I'm a guitarist and love to pick out new stuff, just fed up of hearing the same stuff repeated several different ways.

Thats what I love about A Perfect Circle, its deep, haunting, dark etc and totally different...a lighter version of Tool yes but hands down the best music that came out of 2007...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

If your a guitarist then defo check out dream theater (Song: Under a glass moon, after hearing that you will hopefully be hooked) and children of bodom (Song: Mask of Sanity, Lil blood, and Wrath Within) as i said before.

I love hearing good guitar also and have to admit that when the solo has finished in a song in skip to the next song.

Some excellent guitar bands in my opinion are Pantera (Albums: Cowboys from hell, Vulgar display of power and the likes of power metal if you can find it, after vulgar i feel the solos deteriorated)

Black label society (Album: Blessed hellride)

John Petrucci (Song: Curve, Glasgow Kiss, Tunnel Vision)

Steve Vai (Song: Blood and Tears)

Ozzy has some songs with great guitar eg. No more tears, Hellraiser, Over the mountain, crazytrain etc

Alice in chains, ever though i would be quite surprised if you were not already a fan give your preferences above.

Machinehead have 2 solid albums namely burn my eyes and the more things change, logan is a class guitarist.

Van halen, skid row from the 80s

CKY have some very original sounding riffs i thought

Im out, im sure ill think of a really good one later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

malice_ wrote: »
    :confused: Why? There's plenty of new music around without having to go back to bands that your father/grandfather listened to!

As Otto said what he thought would be his last words: ZEPPELIN RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL

Seriously though Feelgood the Voltas guitarist Omar Rodríguez-López is the b*llocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I'm a guitarist and love to pick out new stuff, just fed up of hearing the same stuff repeated several different ways.

If its interesting Guitarists then perhaps check out Televisons Marquee Moon, or Neu!'s first album, Michael Rother has a very interesting approach to Guitar technique and layering

Both bands have completely different sounds

• Advertisement

MoominPapa wrote: »
    As Otto said what he thought would be his last words: ZEPPELIN RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL
    Ah yes, but he also thought that all new bands were "just ripping off Judas Priest" so I don't know how valid his opinion is :D.
    Jrad wrote: »
    Machinehead have 2 solid albums namely burn my eyes and the more things change, logan is a class guitarist.
    How can you mention Machine Head and not recommend their most recent release, The Blackening? Also, as good a guitarist as Logan Mader is, he hasn't had anything to do with Machine Head in about ten years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

malice_ wrote: »
    The Blackening?!

one of the best albums ive ever had the pleasure of listening to :)
    genuinely brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

Two bands Ill recommend, not new bands, but if you've been listening to what you have then they should be somewhere in your direction

Iced Earth and Black Stone Cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Thats what I love about A Perfect Circle, its deep, haunting, dark etc and totally different...a lighter version of Tool yes but hands down the best music that came out of 2007...

I know the feeling, I've been trying to find something to really inspire me to pick up my guitar again (haven't played properly in over a year after 7 years playing)

If you're into APC give Porcupine Tree a go, an old album In Absentia and their new album Fear of a Blank Planet are excellent.

Blackest Eyes from In Absentia

Fear of a Blank Planet from Fear of a Blank Planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

I agree with you on A Perfect Circle, they are one of my favourites of the past few years. However, in my mind, the greatest band of the decade is Mastodon. They've released 3 stellar albums and if you haven't heard them yet, you're in for a real treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Great band, Blood Mountain is their best imo, followed by Leviathan. Not really a huge fan of Remission, although March of the Fire Ants is a fantastic tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

\m/

Advertisement