Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade my PC advise please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You will not be able to play a modern game on that monitor at max detail with that gpu, its only 256mb. Get a 512mb 8800gt or gts. All else looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You will not be able to play a modern game on that monitor at max detail with that gpu, its only 256mb. Get a 512mb 8800gt or gts. All else looks good.

Agree....

I would change the mobo to a gigabyte p31 to fund it,very good boards and alot cheaper...

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L, P31, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2 €78

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339437

You can get a 8800GT with Tomb Raider Anniversary off an ebay seller with over 79000 positive feedback for €210 delivered.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVidia-GeForce-8800GT-SONIC-512MB-8800-GT-PCI-E-PCIE_W0QQitemZ230211256539QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3762QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

You will be sparing €25 and getting a way faster 8800gt and a faster mobo too....

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Many thanks guys

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Agree....

I would change the mobo to a gigabyte p31 to fund it,very good boards and alot cheaper...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339437

You can get a 8800GT with Tomb Raider Anniversary off an ebay seller with over 79000 positive feedback for €210 delivered.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVidia-GeForce-8800GT-SONIC-512MB-8800-GT-PCI-E-PCIE_W0QQitemZ230211256539QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3762QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Card works out about €245 euro the price on ebay is ex vat and shipping is £34.95.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

your not gonna play or see anything for that matter if you dont include a PSU!

thats a lot of bread for an "upgrade" and theres nothing special in there.

Maybe its a new PC your after?

your not gonna play or see anything for that matter if you dont include a PSU!

thats a lot of bread for an "upgrade" and theres nothing special in there.

Maybe its a new PC your after?

I already bought the power supply. Well it really is a new PC I am getting. What do you consider special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks fine to me, apart from as stated switching to a 512mb GT, the HD3870, or best of all the 512mb GTS..... if you plan gaming on the native res at reasonable settings the 256mb won't cut it. Again, as stated. Really I just wanted to post to say:

Savage speakers, would love a set like that! :D

HavoK wrote: »
    Looks fine to me, apart from as stated switching to a 512mb GT, the HD3870, or best of all the 512mb GTS..... if you plan gaming on the native res at reasonable settings the 256mb won't cut it. Again, as stated. Really I just wanted to post to say:

Savage speakers, would love a set like that! :D

Many thanks Havok, I am going to go ahead with it and change the graphics card as advised. Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have you checked around on those prices? Dabs have been slaying Komplett lately price wise - while the 3850 is about the same everywhere give or take a euro, Dabs higher end video cards are way better priced then Komplett, and I'm talking significant savings...one of their 8800GTS 512mb is about 80 or 90 quid cheaper! Think it was about 260 euro. Nothing remotely close to that on Komplett last time I checked.

For example they had 4Gb OCZ ram for 98 euro recently, probably the same pair....and I just remember that off the top of my head, you can check the other items such as monitor, speakers, mobo there was well (mobo is actually ten quid cheaper on dabs).

Memory - 85 euro.

• Advertisement

Cool will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Agree....

Also worth considereing is the Asus P5kc (105euro on dabs) It's DDR2/DDR3 aswell compatible and with the latest bios is as fast as any P35..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

yeah agree with HavoK..shop around big time.
    elara have some better prices than komplett and you can even save on delivery seeing as your a dub.

shouldnt you be going for a HD player as its multimedia your after?

the samsung spinpoint drive is getting great reviews and the lads here on the forum like them a lot.

the way I see this upgrading and building lark is like this:

If you are into modding overclocking tweaking etc build your own.

If you just want gaming multimedia internet...buy a dell.

Advertisement