Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair getting thiner since going blonder. HELP!

• 16-01-2008 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi Girls,

Can any of you help? I have been having my hair highlighted for years now, but ive noticed it has lately gotten really thin, it was thinish already but now is worse very lank, im nearly thinking of having it cut into a bob, but am too afraid as i like long hair. I may get it cut to level it off and maybe might grow a bit. It also dose'nt grow much past my shoulders, espically of late.

Can anyone give me advice or name a very good salon that could help me, instead of me cutting my hair shorter?

I must admit I dont really put much treatments into it other than, normal conditioner, dont give out to me please!!! I will in future.

Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A friend of mine has thin blonde hair. She was told by her stylist that she couldn't get it coloured any more as it was in bad condition. She decided to get it cut in to a bob and it looks fabulous, so much healthier with no scraggly ends. She looks much better now. I say go for it! She got it cut in Toni and guy, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shabaz

Thanks for your quick reply. Im one of them scardy cats, so used to having long hair, think i wont look as good with shorter hair. Even though i sometimes think it would be nice. But im always afraid it will make my nose look bigger (even though i had a nose job done yrs ago) still think it is a bit big, and therefore i would be worried about that feel ugly, also my sis is getting married next oct, i know thats a good bit away but seeing as it grows so slow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

shabaz wrote: »
    Hi Girls,

Can any of you help? I have been having my hair highlighted for years now, but ive noticed it has lately gotten really thin, it was thinish already but now is worse very lank, im nearly thinking of having it cut into a bob, but am too afraid as i like long hair. I may get it cut to level it off and maybe might grow a bit. It also dose'nt grow much past my shoulders, espically of late.

Can anyone give me advice or name a very good salon that could help me, instead of me cutting my hair shorter?

I must admit I dont really put much treatments into it other than, normal conditioner, dont give out to me please!!! I will in future.

Please help.

Yes. Get your hair dyed back to its normal colour, with only a few blonde highlighted on the outer layer of your hair.

Your hair breaks from the root when dying it blonde, and the hair becomes thinner. If you notice your hair is perhaps slightly thicker at the root and progressively becomes thinner the way down the hair shaft.

This only happens because the agent used to dye hair lighter is much more "corrosive" as such than the agent used to dye hair darker.

There is no real answer other than to stop dying your hair blonde. Or allow it to go back to its natural colour with some blonde highlights in the front and on the outer layer of the hair.

I actually think this is much more attractive than completely dyed blonde hair.
    Which looks weak and scraggy, and tends to yellow. With intermittant brown or darker streaks its a little more natural looking and tends to suit a persons skin type better.

Any good hair dresser who's first priority is the health of your hair rather than to look like something out of Hollyoaks will suggest you dye your hair darker after a year or two of dying it blonde.

I would suggest you get it cut to the shoulder and go a few shades darker all over with some dark blonde highlights to save your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got my hair bobbed a few months ago. I was a bit scared too but I just made sure the stylist cut it so it could still be tied back. If you do that then it should still be ok for the sis's wedding. Seriously Shabaz, I was told when I was considering a bob (and I did post on fashion and appearance here) that it's hair and it grows back. Now I'm saying it to you, give it a go. What have you got to loose? Talk to your stylist about your nose fears. I got my bob longer at the front to thin out my face and I really like it. It looks neater and is far healthier.

You could always get it a bit shorter and then graduate to even shorter if you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Have you ever used a coconut conditioner?
    I have my hair platinum blonde and a hairdresser told me about it once.
    Coconut is a natural emollient and really good for moisture.
    You can get a shampoo and conditioner in boots fairly cheaply.
    I find it really good!
    Might be worth a shot! :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

vivioptal vitamins. ever since i've been taking them my hair is so much stronger and healthier. its growing pretty quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

Hey.... I've been having the same problem myself for a while now. You haven't said how old you are but I think that may be a factor. If you've been on the pill for a while may also be something to do with it.... hormones or whatever. I think at this stage I have tried every remedy possible to help.... I've stopped applying heat to my hair for about 4 months now... so no blow drying and NO STRAIGHTENERS.... but that doesn't seem to have helped. I have tried the cutting my hair to see if that helps make it grow faster but instead it seems that it has just stopped growing altogether. I started taking the perfectil hair supplements nearly a month and although its a little bit early to tell any real difference I do think that my hair has become healthier and shinier. As far as applying anything to make your hair better.... sorry it can't be done.... in effect your hair is dead cells.... hair is already dead so you can't do anything to make it better... to make it better must come from within.

So after all that... my advise would be cut your hair up as far as you can allow yourself, start taking some kind of supplements and if you are like me and believe that blondes have more fun and can't go dark... maybe just go a little easier on the peroxide and just get a few highlights. Its going to be a few months before you get to see any difference... but fingers crossed x x x

Hey Girls.

Thanks for all your great advice, i am going to book myself in to have a proper hair cut and see what the stylist suggests. Myself and my sisteres have been getting our hair done by hairdresser that comes to the house so never really get a proper cut, so tied in with maybe them using not the best products, maybe these are the reason. I'll let you know how i get on.

Love this lounge, only spotted it last night. great to have the girls to chat to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is it possible, that hair is thinning naturally with age?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

Sorry just one last point.... if you are thinking of lightening your hair again I would stick with the home hairdresser (presuming that she is a fully qualified hairdresser)... chances are she doesn't leave the bleach on as long as they do in the salon.

The other thing I forgot to mention earlier... if you are getting your hair cut and not looking forward to your new shorter style would you not think of getting yourself some nice clip on extentions for your nights on the tiles..... ohhhhhhhhhh...... your going to be looking wiittttt wooooooooooooo

Let us know how you get on

• Advertisement

Yeah im still debating about cutting the hair shorter, even getting rid of the blonde debatable, put a good conditioner in my hair tonight and it looks ok, so i think i will go a small bit darker ie. not as much blonde or darker with some blonde bits. I have the clip in's and i love them. Although theres a new shop in exchequers st, i think it is, street that leads up to side of BT's they do all the clip ins, very good, mine is a bit skinny looking, they have really thick looking ones that look good. But then have any of you had this experience, you meet a guy that night you have your extensions in and your hair looks great as in long and sexy, you go back to hotel or watever his place and the next morning your wig is lying there on the floor and he's looking at you like...oh theres something different about you, hate that, horrible!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shabaz, if you get a decent cut then you'll be able to let your hair grow properly and it'll look much thicker. Buy Redken Anti-Snap, it's €23 and worth it - it's full of proteins and will have your hair looking fab in no time. Most salons sell Redken products, if I were you I'd actually splash out on a few products.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do look into what you are feeding your body with. The condition of your hair does depend partly on how well you nourish it from the inside. :)

Ive suffered serious thinning lately, and I have discovered the cause, so hopefully it will improve. But I was also blonde, and the solution for me was to tone down the blonde to a non bleach colour, with lower tones to give it texture.

Advertisement