Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westport, Co. Mayo on Google Earth in 3D

• 16-01-2008 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

I was at the launch this evening of Westport Town in 3D on Google Earth. It was developed by a company called AMT3D and the detail is just mind boggling. Check it out - I think it's pretty amazing.

Edit: Make sure to tick the 3D box in the layers menu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Where is the layers menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Murt10 wrote: »
    Where is the layers menu?

Bottom left of the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

westport1hh5.th.jpg westport2et9.th.jpg

Bottom left of the page

All I'm seeing there is the pointer.

Murt10 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing there is the pointer.

On the left hand side of the page there's the Search, Places and Layers menus

• Advertisement

Thanks, I found it.

I had the sidebar hidden. I had to click the show sidebar icon which is beside the search box at the top iof the screen in order to find the layers menu.

It's very good, but without the trees etc,. I think the real place looks much better. Mind you not having cars and traffic is certainly a bonus.

Murt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

I just took a look, the technology is mind-boggling.
    The significance of this is amazing, for a town in the west of Ireland to be chosen as the first in the world by Google. (Granted, it appears that the developers of the technology are based in westport.) But this will grow very fast as there are huge opportunities for tourism. The Westport example could just be the start of a revolution.

jimmysull wrote: »
    Granted, it appears that the developers of the technology are based in westport.

You're right in saying that. It started off as a project in a University in Leeds a few years ago and then 1 guy moved to Westport and set up the company.

I agree with you in relation to the significance for tourism etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

one of hte most popular google earth blogs in the world didn't report on it cos you exagerrated your claims, not good neither is shilling

A week or so ago I saw some stories in the blogosphere about the town of Westport in Ireland getting a 3D version of itself in Google Earth to be released on January 16th. The stories said things like "Westport to be the first complete city in Google Earth". I didn't report on it because there were a lot of stories saying it was the first, which is not right. There are already some pretty impressive 3D models of large cities like Berlin, Denver, Las Vegas, Hamburg, Dresden, and even places like Beaver Creek, Colorado.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/01/westport_in_ireland_gets_3d_in_goog.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Might as well seize the oppotunity to tell ye where i work...

• Advertisement
Advertisement