Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2's 3G service with datacard.

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I'm in the lovely situation that the only broadband-ish service that I can receive is O2's HSDPA/3G service. Problem is that I want to conenct it to a 3G-wifi router. Have done so (in other locations) with Voda & 3's service and it works fine. the problem is now that O2 does not supply datacards (pcmcia) and only supply the USB modems.
    All providers use Huawei datacards so I suspect that i can stick an O2 sim in any of the datacards that I have got and use the O2 software for the USB dongle (possible with Huawei drivers) to get the whole thing going. However just wondering if there's anyone here that is using O2's service with a datacard already...

E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

My vodafone data card was not locked, it was as simple as putting in a O2 sim, of course you need to change the APN on the router settings, but its all pretty easily done.

I am not sure what you mean about using the O2 software, there will be no need...................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Thanks mate, just what I needed to hear.
    Off to get a O2 sim now...
    ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

do o2 not supply the sierra wireless aircard 850 pcmcia cards?

I was repeatedly told by O2 that they did not "do" datacards.
    However I have a sneaking suspicion that the people that I spoke to didn't have an f*ck*ng clue what I was talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

O2 do PCMCIA cards. Anyway you can buy a 3rd party PCMCIA or ExpressCard or MiniPCI. It's only kit supplied by an operator that tends to be network locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Another option would be to get a router that you can plug the USB Dongle into.
    The Draytek 2800 and 2900 series routers have this function. Pity they're not cheaper but good kit all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

Good tip lads.
    I'll try the datacards first and if that doesn't work i will get a Draytek jobbie...

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

mayhem# wrote: »
    I'm in the lovely situation that the only broadband-ish service that I can receive is O2's HSDPA/3G service. Problem is that I want to conenct it to a 3G-wifi router. Have done so (in other locations) with Voda & 3's service and it works fine. the problem is now that O2 does not supply datacards (pcmcia) and only supply the USB modems.
    All providers use Huawei datacards so I suspect that i can stick an O2 sim in any of the datacards that I have got and use the O2 software for the USB dongle (possible with Huawei drivers) to get the whole thing going. However just wondering if there's anyone here that is using O2's service with a datacard already...

E.

Draytek supply routers what are compatible with 3G USB modems, I've installed a number for customers with temp onsite offices and they work very well (working on Vodafone and O2 so far, haven't tried 3, but no reason why it wouldn't work with them also)

Also Dlink DIR451 takes USB or PCMCIA datacard.

• Advertisement

skearon wrote: »
    Draytek supply routers what are compatible with 3G USB modems, I've installed a number for customers with temp onsite offices and they work very well (working on Vodafone and O2 so far, haven't tried 3, but no reason why it wouldn't work with them also)

Any tips on where to get these in Ireland?

you can't. Mailorder / Online order only for both makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I have the Dir-451. It takes the USB modem. Be careful tho, it has been recalled from Europe and now is only being sold in the US. I got one of a batch that strayed into Europe via expansys.ie but as soon as I'd bought it, the product disappeared from Europe. I have since written to Dlink looking for firmware upgrades etc and they replied by telling me that I should not have the router in the first place and that they dont support it in Europe.

My router came with a sorta beta European firmware and I was able to config it to use O2, I posted on boards.ie with instructions how to do this.

so, you probably wont be able to get one of these routers
    and if you do, you are on your own and there's no guarantee that you can config it for O2 if you get one with a US version of the firmware.

watty may know more on this and I gladly bow to his far superior knowledge.

k

Advertisement